Barn Conversion near Barnard Castle, Teesdale, Yorkshire Dales - "A Beautiful Cottage In A Great Location...Very Well Equipped, Comfortable And Cosy. Very Peaceful"
The Hay Barn is readily accessible from the A66 (2 miles away) and is 5 miles from the thriving market town of Barnard Castle with its castle, shops, pubs & eating places, golf club, leisure centre and, of course, the Bowes Museum. Adjacent to the farmhouse, the Hay Barn provides a comfortable base for exploring the area. Recently converted, it has a wealth of wooden beams and exposed stone work (together with thick insulated plaster walls to retain the heat) and a log burning stove for that extra glow in the evenings. There are walks on and from the farm and a wide variety of birdlife. The walks by the River Greta are beautiful and there is fly-fishing available (mind the trees). The farm runs a small 'fold' of Highland cattle and a flock of Hebridean sheep reared extensively - i.e. outside all year! The Lake District is only an hour away by car as are the North Yorkshire Moors and the East coast.
PLEASE CONTACT US, OR SEE OUR OWN WEBSITE, FOR ACCURATE PRICING.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Absolutely lovely place. Excellent place for a base whilst exploring the surrounding area. There is so much to do, so many places to visit; next time we must stay for longer.
Everything is catered for at the Hay Barn. Brilliant for families but also for those seeking a retreat from it all - or even a bit of adventure in the Dales."
"A beautiful cottage in a great location!
The cottage is very well equipped, comfortable and cosy. The location means it is very peaceful, surrounded by fields and the sound of water from the nearby stream.
We have never visited this area before but wasn't disappointed by what was on offer.
The area is a great base for visiting North Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Teesdale towns.
Would definitely recommend to friends."
"A lovely place to stay, off the beaten track yet not 'out of touch'. Lots of lovely scenery in the area - near to everywhere but not on top of anywhere. We would love to come back."
1 holidaymaker review
We had a fabulous few days here at the end Sept, beginning of October. The weather was fantastic, we ate breakfast sat outside on the patio every morning in the brilliant sunshine! This property is very modern and clean, one of the best we have stayed in - we are booked for a week in March 2016 we enjoyed it that much!
Activity and Interests
The East coast town of Redcar is 50 miles away (one hour by car). This area of coast has one of the longest unbroken stretches of beach in the United Kingdom running from South Gare to Saltburn.
On the West coast, Maryport is about 75 miles away (an hour and a half by car); it is the Southernmost town on the Solway estuary with sweeping views, shoreline walks, golf links, coastal sailing, lively pubs and memorable summer festivals. The harbour is now a marina. It is an interesting town.
Newcastle Airport is about 60 miles away and it takes between 1 hour and 1½ hours by car, depending on route and traffic. Public transport is available although it involves 2 trains and a bus. More details are available on request.
Durham Tees Valley airport is 28 miles away and takes about 40 mins by car or there is a bus service to Darlington (7 miles away).
Darlington also has an East Coast mainline station and there is a regular (half-hourly) bus service to Barnard Castle. Taxi from there.
Barnard Castle 5 miles (supermarket, shops, pubs, restaurants, take-aways, museum, leisure centre, golf etc).
Darlington 20 miles (railway station, larger shops, railway museum, cinema, theatre etc).
Nearest pub. 3 miles - but more choice at 5 miles
Richmond about 15 miles (all the usual plus its castle, theatre; has an annual 'books and boots' festival)
Nearest shop/restaurant is 2½ miles away and sells principally organic and locally sourced produce.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Xmas & New Year
20 Dec 2016 - 28 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please email us to make any enquiries, confirm availability and to make your booking.
A non-refundable deposit of 25% (minimum £100) is payable on booking. Details of a holiday insurance scheme are available on request.
The balance of the rental is due no later than 21 days before arrival.
All sums include VAT. Check our website www.lodgefarmholidays.com for more details.
Normal changeover day is Saturday in Summer and Christmas but is usually a Friday out of season when we do short breaks as well.
Arrival is from 3.30 onwards; departure by 10.30.
Notes on prices:
Our pricing details show the weekly cost for full occupancy and nightly cost for a minimum stay of 3 nights mid-week. Please note - nightly cost for short breaks of more than 3 nights reduces.
We offer discounts in certain off-season full weeks of 7½% for 3 or 4 people occupying 2 bedrooms and 15% for 1 or 2 people occupying one bedroom.
Additionally, we have an "off-season special" for 1 or 2 people occupying the ground floor only that starts at £360 (full week only).
A non-refundable deposit of 25% is taken to confirm the booking. The balance is due no later than 3 weeks before arrival. Full payment is required on any short breaks booked within 6 weeks. We recommend holiday insurance. Should you have to cancel within the last 3 weeks, we will endeavour to re-let and, if successful, will return the balance to you.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- All the shower-rooms have basins, wc's and large (1200 x 900) shower cabinets. They all have razor sockets. The downstairs shower-room has grab handles (please see 'accessibility'). All showers are mains and have 'Ecocamel' shower-heads).
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs: Bedroom 1 has a king-sized double (which converts to 2 singles if preferred), Bedroom 2 has twin beds. Downstairs: Bedroom 3 has a double bed. This room is suitable for someone with mobility problems. All bedrooms have en-suite shower rooms with large showers.
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Tennis ...
- 1 bicycles
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The adjacent 'plant-room' provides an area to dry wet clothes & boots and also to store bicycles. It also contains a freezer, which you are welcome to use, plus clothes airer, ironing board etc. Although we have internet access, it is not suitable for streaming movies, music downloads etc. We have managed to get the free limit increased to 3Gb per week however there is a charge of £20 for exceeding this figure (imposed by our isp) plus a charge of £20 per Gb or part thereof over the 3Gb. Outside: Cars may be parked outside the property in the farmyard. On the other side of the property, the French windows open onto a large paved patio which, in the Summer, has a timber table and 6 chairs for alfresco dining or lounging in the beautiful Teesdale sunshine. The garden is self-contained and is principally lawned with a raised bed to one side. A base for a barbeque is planned - but its still on the list just now! Through the gate from the garden is a shared flat area which is suitable for ball games. Utility Room: The adjoining garage/plant-room houses the ground source heat pump & solar controls. Here there is also a chest freezer which you are welcome to use. This area is also suitable for storage of bicycles etc and wet boots and waterproofs. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are provided. For stays of longer than a week, replacement towels and linen are available weekly. There is no cleaning service; you are expected to keep the property clean and equipment & materials are provided.