Barn in Scalby, Nr. Scarborough, Yorkshire, England - Peaceful location overlooking lake
Detached, seventeenth century converted barn, set in a quiet and pretty position, just outside the village of Scalby, only ten minutes drive from Scarborough, this imaginative renovation offers many interesting features, including a well-equipped, large, games room. The holiday cottage with its open beams has been tastefully decorated throughout. The holidaymaker has use of the private grounds containing a lake and a small, six-hole pitch-and-putt course. Shop and pub 1.5 miles. Views of Scarborough castle from the garden.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
2013: Lisa, Alan, family & dog - Perfect all round. Kids loved the games room. Marley (the dog) has never been so relaxed. Very comfortable and clean. Lovely wildlife right outside the window. Can't wait to come back.
2013: Susie & John: Lovely cottage, fabulous holiday. Whitby a must to see and also Robin Hood's Bay. Lots to see and do. Best of all to sit in the garden in complete peace. We are returning home filled with positive energy.
2013: Dick & Jennifer (visitors returning for their 10th year): Another great two weeks. Love all the changes to the cottage. Thanks for everything Gill.
4.9 based on 7 holidaymaker reviews
the barn was absolutely lovely. it was spotlessly clean. it really gave us time as a family to spend time with each other to play table tennis & snooker which was brilliant. the lake is beautiful to walk around or even to sit & look out of the window at all the wildlife around it is so lovely. the rooms are lovely & the beds are sooo comfortable would give above a 5* if i could :}}
Another great holiday at Hayes Cottage. Amenities brilliant - can't fault it. Looking forward to coming back next year already - thanks for a great time Gill.
Very Enjoyable Holiday!
This is a wonderful location, very peaceful and relaxing. The dogs loved their evening walk around the beautiful pond, set in the most beautiful of surroundings.
We enjoyed the addition of free WiFi this year, an added bonus!
Thank you Gill for your kind hospitality. We truly enjoyed our 4th return visit! We must go for a walk together next time and until then we shall very much look forward to our next stay.
Wonderful Cottage - Highly Recommended
Location is superb, very dog friendly and secure. Facilities are first class, property is spotlessly clean and the owner couldn't be more helpful. Ideally located for day trips, both humans and dogs loved it :)
18 April 2014
The cottage is in beautiful surroundings and is very comfortable. My husband and I loved sitting in the living room looking out at the beautiful lake with all the wild birds. The ducks walked past the window regularly!
The views are lovely too. Altogether a most relaxing place for a holiday.
A car is a must to enjoy the holiday fully.
Perfect holiday location
We have just returned from Hayes Barn in Scalby and want to let potential customers know that it is a perfect property to stay in. It is in a peaceful location with lovely views, within easy reach of the coast and North York Moors. The owner is very helpful and the property has everything you will need, especially if you have children and/or dogs.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The cottage is located on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. The lake in the grounds supports mallard, waterhens and a variety of visiting wildlife. The nearest beaches are at Burniston Wyke and Scalby Mills (approx 4 miles). The north bay and the south bay at Scarborough offer sandy beaches, amusements, Peasholm Park boating lake and miniature railway, the Spa complex. Theatre lovers can enjoy productions of plays by Alan Ayckbourn and other leading playwrights at the Stephen Joseph Theatre in the Round. The steam railway runs from Pickering to Goathland, about 20 minutes drive from the cottage. The north bay and the south bay at Scarborough
Nearest beaches at Burniston and Scalby Mills, around 5 miles. South bay at Scarborough 8 miles.
Railway station is a £10 taxi fare.
The cottage is 5 minutes' drive or 20 minutes' walk from Scalby Village where there is a shop, cafe, hairdressers, newsagent, churches and 2 public houses.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
7 Oct 2016 - 3 Nov 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
4 Nov 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking information provided by email exchange or by telephone. Bookings confirmed on payment of one third deposit. Balance payable 7 weeks before commencement of holiday. Full payment is required if booking is made less than 8 weeks before commencement of the holiday. Regarding cancellations, we shall refund all moneys, less £20 handling charge per week booked, if we are successful in re-letting the accommodation.£15 per pet per week is charged.
Changeover day is Friday for weekly lettings, Monday and Friday for short lets.
Notes on prices:
Prices for shorter breaks, starting on Mondays or Fridays, available on application to the owners.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- live theatre
- water parks
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- pier fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Upstairs bathroom: bath with overhead shower; toilet; sink with mirror; heated towel rail. Downstairs wet room designed for disabled use with shower, seat, handrails, heated towel rail. Downstairs toilet and basin, fitted handrails.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: First floor: double bedroom with exposed beams, velux window and other window, drawers/wardrobe space; single bedroom with velux window. Ground floor: single bedroom, easy access for the disabled to shower room and toilet.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Electric panel heating and fan heater included in the cost. Central (night store) heating available at cost by arrangement with the owner for early and late season. Wall heaters in games room on meter. Pets and children over 10 years welcome. Outside: The cottage has a sheltered garden, with washing line, is enclosed by two gates and so is secure to retain pets. Parking for 3 cars. Beyond this is the pitch-and putt course overlooked by a summer house. This contains a table and 4 chairs. Clubs and balls for pitch-and-putt available from the owner. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and bedlinen are provided. The property is cleaned on arrival and once weekly, when linen is changed. Other: The large, well-equipped games room with polished wooden floor, has a quarter-sized snooker table, table tennis table and table skittles. Spectators have ringside settee or gallery above.