Come and enjoy a stay at Domaine de Palatz! Gite Lavande is a cosy, rustic cottage in beautiful, natural surrounds. Recently renovated and tastefully decorated, this cottage is best suited to couples and small families:
- Lounge with double bed settee, DVD and cable TV
- Kitchen with all modern facilities including dishwasher, washing machine, fridge, cooker, oven, microwave, kettle, and dining table to seat four people.
- Bathroom with double hand basins, bath and shower.
- Bedroom with queen size bed.
- Interconnecting door to Pavot should two gîtes be required for one booking.
Domaine de Palatz
Domaine de Palatz is a charming 17th Century country estate located near Carcassonne in the Aude department of Languedoc Roussillon. Recently renovated to exacting standards, the domaine retains much of its original rustic charm, and combines delightful period details with all the modern amenities you would expect, amidst spacious natural surrounds of 25 acres. There is a large private pool and summer house, covered courtyard, ample parking facilities, numerous picnicking and BBQ areas, gardens, terraces and panoramic views.
Surrounded by vineyards, this property is ideal as a peaceful, relaxing holiday for families or couples. Local activities include sightseeing, wine tasting, fine dining, watersports, fishing, walking, hiking, cycling, horse riding, golf, or simply lazing in the Languedoc sun. Easily accessible by plane, train or car, Domaine de Palatz is just 20 mins from Carcassonne and its airport, one hour from the coast, and a breathe away from countless cultural and historical sights.
Domaine de Palatz is the perfect destination for people of any age and parties large or small: We offer you an environment where you can truly relax and unwind in tranquil surrounds that are full of character, culture and history.
About the Owner
About Denise Drinkwater
Domaine de Palatz is owned and run by the Drinkwater family: Denise, Michael, Jodie and James. Collectively we have decades of working experience in hospitality, business development, customer service and marketing.
Originally from the United Kingdom, and resident in France and Dubai (UAE) for the last ten years, we have travelled extensively throughout the world. Our move to the Domaine is the culmination of a dream to bring our experience of first class service, accommodation and food to all who come to stay with us.
For more information please visit our website
Denise Drinkwater purchased this cottage in 2014
Why Denise Drinkwater chose Carcassonne surroundings
Located just one km north of Laure Minervois in Aude, Domaine de Palatz provides the perfect base from which to explore all the delights of the Languedoc. Local activities include fine dining, sightseeing, cycling, hiking, watersports, fishing, golf, horse riding, walking the vineyards, wine tasting, or simply lazing under the Epicurean sun. Easily accessible by plane, train or car, Domaine de Palatz is one hour from the coast, 20 mins from the airport and medieval town of Carcassonne, and just a breathe away from countless cultural and historical sights.
What makes this cottage unique
Our aim is simple: to provide our guests with delightful accommodation in a calm and peaceful environment; to use home grown organic food as integral ingredients for breakfast; and to ensure attentive, yet unobtrusive, service – making it feel like your home whilst in France. Domaine de Palatz, in the heart of Cathar Country, is the perfect destination for lovers of the Languedoc.
A charge of 50 euros for cleaning is applicable if the property is not left as found.
From the Owner
“Located just one km north of Laure Minervois in Aude, Domaine de Palatz provides the perfect base from which to explore all the delights of the Languedoc. Local activities include fine dining, sightseeing, cycling, hiking, watersports, fishing, golf, horse riding, walking the vineyards, wine tasting, or simply lazing under the Epicurean sun. Easily accessible by plane, train or car, Domaine de Palatz is one hour from the coast, 20 mins from the airport and medieval town of Carcassonne, and just a breathe away from countless cultural and historical sights.”
Activity and Interests
Our local Mediterranean coast has some great beaches, but the best ones are worth making the extra effort for! We recommend Port Leucate, La Franqui and Vias plage, all of which are less than an hour away by car and make for a super day trip.
Carcassonne airport is 20km away. Toulouse airport is 80km. Perpignan airport is about an hour's drive. Other local airports are Beziers, Nimes, Montpellier, Beziers and Barcelona (Spain).
The nearest village, Laure Minervois, a quaint, sleepy place with a post office, doctor, butcher and baker. It is 1km away, just past the lake, and makes for some lovely morning exercise on our free bicycles!
Caunes Minervois is 3km and one of our favourite villages, with cosy bars, restaurants and historical sights including the famous abbey.
Other lovely villages close by include Minerve, Rieux Minervois, Trebes and Homps (on the Canal du Midi). Carcassonne is twenty minutes away.
There is so much to see & do within 20mins: wine-tasting (neighbours are all vignerons!), abbeys, castles, beautiful mediaeval villages, Canal du Midi, montagne noir, michelin restaurants... you name it!
There are more details on our website and blog (updated regularly) of all the things you can do in the area, but some local highlights include:
- Chateaux de Lastours (4-in-1 castle trip!)
- Minerve (ancient capital of the Mineroivs, and something of a hidden gem)
- Abbey de Fontfroide (beautiful, historical estate)
- Walking the Capitelles on our estate and beyond
- Plage de Carcassonne (awesome natural lake with beaches and watersports, and only 20 mins away)
- Tasting the new organic wines from across this up-and-coming region. We can organise it for
- Kayaking down the river Aude
- Hiking the Montage Noir
- Antique markets every week!
- Cite de Carcassonne
- Dolmen hunting
- Lunch cruise on the Canal du Midi
- Ticking off UNESCO world heritage sites (we have six within two hours' drive!)
From the Owner
“Our aim is simple: to provide our guests with delightful accommodation in a calm and peaceful environment; to use home grown organic food as integral ingredients for breakfast; and to ensure attentive, yet unobtrusive, service – making it feel like your home whilst in France. Domaine de Palatz, in the heart of Cathar Country, is the perfect destination for lovers of the Languedoc.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Music Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Outdoor Pool
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- pets considered
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- whitewater rafting
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Our aim is simple: to provide our guests with delightful accommodation in a calm and peaceful environment; to use home-grown organics for all our produce; and to ensure exceptional, yet unobtrusive, service – making this feel like your home whilst in France. Domaine de Palatz, in the heart of Cathar Country, is the perfect destination for lovers of the Languedoc. - All bed linen, towels and pool towels are provided - High chairs and cots available free of charge - Complimentary high-speed internet access throughout the estate - Extensive media and video library as well as English cable TV - SONOS sound system for guest use - Bikes available for free use - Paniers de Palatz: welcome hampers provided for all guests! - Lots of little details to make your stay special, including luxury home-made soaps, organic produce and a bubblicious welcome! Outside: The property grounds are ideal for picnicking, long walks, and simply relaxing in beautiful natural surrounds. We have 25 acres of unspoiled countryside for guests to explore, including woodland, vineyards, a bubbling stream, landscaped garden and terraces, organic kitchen garden, shaded seating areas, and numerous romantic spots with panoramic views. There are separate BBQ areas, a Summer House and a private covered courtyard which is perfect for al fresco dining and enjoying those long evenings with a glass or two. The courtyard includes a number of dining tables to seat larger parties. After the sun has set, stargazers will adore the beautiful night skies that are completely free of any light pollution! - Multiple dining areas and cooking stations - Private 12 x 6 m pool (with child gate) - Well-stocked 'Thyme Out' Summer House - Large covered courtyard and dining space. - Children's play area. - There is a beautiful lake within five minutes walk - Tennis courts nearby