House in West Wittering, Chichester, Sussex, England - Peaceful Location, 7 Minute Walk To The Beach
A stunning, thatched house in a picture postcard setting that has real 'wow' factor! The house has been extended and completely modernised to a luxury standard, without losing any of its original charm. It is located in the heart of the highly sought after village of West Wittering, in a beautiful private estate, a mere 7 minute walk from one of the most popular sandy beaches in southern England, a mecca for watersport enthusiasts. The house boosts a beautiful country garden that is maintained on a weekly basis by a local gardener. The house and garden enjoy enormous privacy secluded by a large mature hedge. There is car parking for 4 cars. The heart of the house is the hugely stylish farmhouse style kitchen. Sorry no pets.
Head south down the A3 and turn left onto the A27 (east) – signposted to Brighton, Hayling Island) to Chichester.
After 8 or so miles on the A 27 you come to a roundabout. The posted route points you straight on to a second roundabout, about half a mile further on, from where you turn right to the Witterings. On most days this works fine. The better route however is to turn right at this first roundabout, signposted to Fishbourne / Bosham. After about 200m take the first left, posted to Apuldram / Dell Quay.
Stay on this road for a mile and a half until you get to a T junction; go left here and then immediately right onto the main road.
After half a mile you go past Chichester Marina. Just keep going straight down this road for three or so miles until you get to a mini roundabout at Birdham, right next to the petrol station. Take the right turning to West Wittering.
Drive through West Wittering and pass the pub – ‘The Old House at Home’ – which will be on your left.
Take a left turn after approx. 200 yards. This is Seaward Drive.
Cobbler’s Barn is the last cottage on the left before the roundabout. It has a big cedar tree in the garden and a bushy thatched roof!
Heavy traffic (we are talking peak season when it is grid locked!)
There are a number of useful ‘bail out’ points if the traffic is heavy, which will bring you in via the back routes. These are as follows:
1. At Chichester Marina, if the traffic backed up take the left turn signposted Sidlesham / Donnington. Go to Sidlesham, then follow signs to Bracklesham / East Wittering. This road takes you through East Wittering and into West Wittering from the back, missing the horrendous queues for the beach car park. Half a mile past East Wittering the road bends right at the stables/tower, then 300m later takes a sharp left at the beginning of the houses. Take the next immediate right into the Wells Farm Estate. Go left at the first roundabout and straight over at the second. Cobblers Barn is then immediately on your right.
2. A mile or so past Chichester Marina is another main left turn, signposted Sidlesham / Almodington. Go to Sidlesham and follow directions as above.
3. At the Birdham mini-roundabout, take the left turn signposted Bracklesham / East Wittering, then as above. This is highly recommended, if there’s any traffic at all on the road. It takes you in round the back, missing the final few miles of tail-back traffic to West Wittering beach.
4. If you got cocky and took the West Wittering turn at the roundabout, there’s another chance to bail about a mile or so down the road. At the point you see signs to Itchenor on your right, there’s a road left called ‘Piggery Hall Road.’ It’ll take you straight into East Wittering.
5. Your final chance to beat the traffic comes a half mile further. Approx. 100m after the ‘West Wittering’ village sign there’s a left turn called ‘Chapel Lane.’ After a mile and a half it’ll bring you out into West Wittering; turn left then pass the ‘Old House at Home’ pub.
Top Traveller Review
Fantastic house, we keep returning!
About the Owner
We are the Turnbull family, seven in all -- Mark and Juliet, eight year old Olivia, six year old Jack, a golden cocker spaniel called Cosby and two burmese cats called Daisy and Coco! We have a busy life in London - and Mark is often out of the country on business - so we feel incredibly fortunate to have our beautiful thatched home to escape to at the weekends and school holidays. Juliet runs her own consulting business, is a real foodie, and loves walking Cosby on the beach. The children love riding their bikes, playing hide-and-seek on the sand dunes at East Head, crabbing at Snow Hill and playing in the sea for hours on end in the summer before crashing out in the cinema room. Whilst Mark loves nothing more than to head off on an adventure either on his mountain bike or his kayak.
Guestbook comments from the owner
5 based on 6 holidaymaker reviews
Fantastic house, we keep returning!
We have stayed in this house many times now, and always have a great time. It is spacious, decorated to a high standard and the beds are incredibly comfy! I'd recommend this house to anyone looking for a relaxing time, in a location close to the beach and in a pretty village.
A wonderful family home in glorious surroundings
We have stayed at Cobblers Barn several times now and absolutely love it. It is a beautiful home with lots of comfortable space to relax and enjoy. West Wittering is a delightful village and we have been coming for many years but have never stayed anywhere quite so nice at here. If you want peace and quiet and short walks to the beach and the coastal footpaths you won't need to go any further. It is a great environment for us all to relax in with lots of bedrooms and bathrooms. We love Cobblers Barn and we hope to be returning for many years. Go. You will love it!
Fabulous Country Cottage in great location
We had a wonderful stay at Cobblers Barn, a beautiful warm and friendly house enjoyed over a slightly rain filled weekend!
Wonderful decor, great large family kitchen perfect for long lazy meals, Kids loved the cinema room and grown ups enjoyed the sophistication and the Sonos!!
The area is great, close to the beaches and we had a super little harbour trip around Chichester. Will definitely return at some stage, Thank you!
Fantastic house in a beautiful location
We stayed at Cobblers barn over Easter with family members ranging in age from 9 to 92 and had an amazing time. The house itself was perfect for the 9 of us with excellent facilities and very well planned out accommodation. We spent much of our time in the kitchen which is large and very sociable with the large dining table.
My 9 year old daughter was particularly taken with the cinema room and watched many a DVD.
There were detailed instructions for everything which was very helpful.
The location of the house is perfect with lovely beaches just a short walk away. We did the walk by the sea to Itchenor which was lovely and can firmly recommend a drink and bite to eat at the Ship pub.
West wittering village itself is very pretty with a very good local shop, butchers, cafe and pub. East Wittering was a short drive away and offered more in the way of shops including a tesco express.
I can recommend taking bikes if you can as we thoroughly enjoyed riding out with the children.
Overall I would highly recommend Cobblers Barn as a great place to stay and look forward to hopefully returning.
It doesn't get better than this cottage....
This is a very special property, stunning on the outside and inside. What we loved about it was how warm and toasty and nicely modernised it is on the inside, whilst keeping the wonderful charm of its Thatch heritage and cottage style as well.
The owners provide a very useful guide of what to do around the area so even if you go for a long week-end like we did, its very easy to settle in quickly and know where to go for that yummy crab sandwich or the best restos to explore.
The beach is a 5 min walk so we had some stunning winter walks by the sea before heading home to put on the gas fire and snuggle in front of a good movie.
The kitchen is a wonderful size and we lived in it (literally) as we bought some lovely fresh local seafood and cooked in a few nights. The owner provides a great kitchen with everything you could need if like us you want to cook.
Last but not least, the bed is sooo comfy.... and the peace and quiet of the area made for a super nights sleep after noisy London!
Gorgeous famiiy friendly cottage.
Fantastic family friendly house with all necessary mod cons for family of six. Easy ten minute walk to wide expanse of unpopulated beach... Super swimming here in the summer and wonderful walks through sanding dunes and along tracks.... With welcoming pub en route! House is equally well equipped for entertainment with opportunities to relax In the mini cinema room or hone your table tennis skills in the garage!
I frequently recommend this property to friends & family and look forward to my return visit in the summer.
From the Owner
“We love West Wittering. It's a pretty village only 90-minutes drive from our house in London, with a stunning sandy beach renowned for its outstanding water sport activities. We wanted to give our children the perfect antidote to London life - an outdoor lifestyle and everything the sea has to offer.”
Activity and Interests
The house is a 7 minute walk/3 minute bike ride from West Wittering beach. The natural and unspoilt sandy beach of West Wittering is one of the premier Blue Flag beaches in the country, perfect for parking and picnics, popular with wind and kite surfers and internationally recognised for its wildlife, birds and unique beauty. The beach sits at the mouth of a beautiful estuary which is perfect for sailing, kayaking, horse riding and walking.
15 minutes drive to Chichester main line station - direct to London Victoria.
22 miles to Portsmouth
22 miles to Arundel
6 miles to the historic town of Chichester
West Wittering Village boosts a great family pub called The House at Home which has a large garden with a children's play area. A great restaurant called The Beach House, a coffee shop called The Landing, a local butchers, hairdressers, gift shop and newsagents. In East Wittering which is about a mile away there is much more extensive shopping and restaurants.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£250|
50% deposit required at time of booking the balance to be paid 8 weeks prior to start date. If the booking is made less than 8 weeks before the start of the holiday the full amount to be paid at the time of the booking.
Change over day is a Friday. Arrive 3pm onwards check out by 10am
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The house is a 7 minute walk from West Wittering's famous beach and even closer to the village shops and pub. We are located on a private estate with residents-only parking - a real bonus in the summer months when the queues to the beach car park stretch for miles! When we bought the house in 2010 we completely renovated it as well as doubling its size. So it now has all the luxury of a brand new home whilst retaining the character of a quintessential Sussex thatched house.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- children welcome
- live theatre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- bay fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- En suite bathroom to master bedroom with shower and wc En suite bathroom to bedroom 2 with shower and wc Separate family bathroom with bath/shower over and wc Wet room with shower and wc
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom - king-size bed Bedroom 2 - king-size bed Bedroom 3 - with twin beds Bedroom 4 - single bed Bedroom 5 - off the master bedroom with bunk beds
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Kitchen: large: spacious kitchen with a large granite island with bar stools. A spacious oak table that sits 10 comfortably. Sonos system with integrated speakers and integrated multiple light settings. Utility room/cloak room leading to the wet room and kitchen area. This room has a sink and houses the washing machine and tumble dryer as well as boot shelves and coat hanging area. Mini cinema room/play room: Painted black with full surround system Sitting room: Large spacious and light with oak floor and two large sofas, an arm chair and a gas fuelled coal burner with French windows leading to the garden. Master bedroom: Open beamed ceiling feature with overhead fan, walk in wardrobe, super king sized bed and en suite bathroom. Bedroom 1: King size bed with en suite bathroom, chest of drawers and hanging space Bedroom 2: Two twin beds, chest of drawers and hanging area Bedroom 3: Single bedroom, chest of drawers and hanging area Bedroom 4: Bunk bed room off master bedroom Outside: Stunning garden with well established herbaceous borders and a children's wooden climbing frame tucked underneath the pine tree.There is also a large children's football goal. Please do not BBQ in the garden due to the house having a thatched roof. There is a large bricked terrace area with a garden table which sits 10. Utility Room: The utility room is also our boot room/coat room. It has a washing machine, tumble dryer, sink and clothes rail. The wet room is located next to this room. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen and towels are included, sourced from The White Company and John Lewis. The house is cleaned on a weekly basis together with a full change of bed linen and towels (Beach towels are not provided). Other: Mini cinema room with surround sound and a chest full of children's games.