Bungalow in Odcombe, Nr. Yeovil, Somerset, England - Situated In The Pretty Village Of Higher Odcombe Close To The 13th Century St Peter
Situated in the pretty village of Higher Odcombe close to the 13th Century St Peter & St Paul’s church. The village pub The Mason’s Arms is a short walk away, serving local beers and fine foods. Within easy reach of a number of National Trust properties such as Montacute House and gardens (2 miles), Stourhead, Forde Abbey with many more properties within an hour’s drive. Other nearby attractions include the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Hayne’s Motor Museum, the pretty town of Sherborne with it’s historic Abbey. The spectacular Jurassic coastline is only a forty minute drive away with towns such as Lyme Regis and Burton Bradstock – ideal for beaches, fossil hunting and dog walking.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Live in the property next door. On hand if any problems.
4.5 based on 13 holidaymaker reviews
Great hideaway for a weekend break/holiday close to Dorset/Somerset
Found Shady Corner quite easily following directions from Sheila. The two bedroomed annexe is joined to the main house by a connecting door but has its own entrance and private patio garden. The double bedroom is very spacious and the single room more than adequate for one or one + cot. The living/dining room would be a bit cramped if more than 3 of you but fine for 2.
Bad points - I am really being pedantic when I mention these two points and to some people they might not even notice them.
1. I read a couple of reviews before we set off and some mentioned a damp smell on entering the property. There is indeed a bit of damp behind the front door and the property did smell a bit on entering. This did not impact out stay but this issue will keep cropping up in reviews unless the owners deal with the damp issue. The property needs to be thoroughly aired prior to each set of new visitors. I appreciate the property may not be in use 365 days per year but a good airing + keeping the heating on low should help.
2. The property was clean but there were lots of little bits on the carpets in most the rooms and some crumbs on the kitchen lino - I don't think it had been hoovered very well at all and the skirtings were a bit dusty. (Having said this we did arrive a little early and I wonder whether Sheila hadn't finished cleaning). The bathroom window sill has not been cleaned for a while (very dusty) and the bottom of the coat stand in the hall was also very dusty. I am a bit of a hotel inspector here though and these were minor issues in the bigger scheme of things.
Overall the property is a little dated but the furnishings are absolutely fine - lovely thick towels, good linen and lots of toiletries. Sky TV and Wifi all fine. Wonderful welcome hamper with bread, scones, eggs, fruit and bacon, spread, fruit juice and milk in the fridge which was superb. Also coffee/sugar and an array of grocery bits and bobs in the cupboards. To be honest many self catering properties have nothing in them - not even washing up liquid and this is one of the best properties we have been to with a supply of essentials already there.
I would recommend this property and would also stay there again but hope that next time the damp smell is addressed.
Delightful little spot where the owner goes out of her way to make you feel welcome!
When you get a message from the owner asking if your 3 year old is a boy or girl so they can get the bedding right you know you're on to a winner!
It's a lovely quiet secluded little place but not far from the A30 so convenient enough.
Every room seemed to have its own little bit of warmth. From a wide variety of spare toiletries in the bathroom, a welcome food pack in the kitchen to a quaint little vanity table in the bedroom.
Our 7 1/2 hour car journey with two kids was cushioned by the homeliness of the property.
We are likely to revisit! 👍🏻
Great stay in lovely area
We stayed for a week in Odcombe. The bungalow was cosy and very practical and well furnisehd. The owner was very helpful and friendly, she told us a few practical informations when we arrived.
The area is very beautiful with lots to see and do....
Great place to stay
Most enjoyable stay, great accommodation. Owners are very thoughtful leaving a lovely hamper on arrival and ensuring children have a wonderful holiday experience. Would recommend this place to stay.
Very quiet and relaxing.
We had a great and wonderful time at Sheila and David place. They were fantastic host in every way. They told as about a great place to eat. Also David was kind enough to drive as places so we did not have to get a taxi every time. We would highly recommend this places. Thanks again you guys we had a LOVELY time. Hope to come back again.
Kim and gang from Oregon
From the Owner
“Village location but only 10 minutes from nearest town.”
Activity and Interests
Forty minute drive to Jurassic coast - both sandy and pebble beaches.
Two miles off the A303 near Yeovil, Somerset.
Exeter airport - 50 minutes drive. Bristol airport - 1 hour 15 minutes drive. Heathrow/Gatwick airports two hours drive.
Within easy reach of a number of National Trust properties such as Montacute House and gardens (2 miles), Stourhead, Forde Abbey with many more properties within an hour’s drive. Other nearby attractions include the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Hayne’s Motor Museum, Sherborne with it’s historic Abbey; and Longleat Safari Park is approx 45 minutes drive away. The spectacular Jurassic coastline is only a forty minute drive away with towns such as Lyme Regis and West Bay.
Close to the 13th Century St Peter & St Paul’s church, the village pub The Mason’s Arms is a short walk away, serving local beers and fine foods.
The nearest swimming pool, cinema, banks and a wide range of good restaurants serving international cuisine are available in the local town of Yeovil two miles away. There is no village shop but a well stocked Budgeon’s is only a mile away at the petrol station on the A30.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
25 Sep 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
30 Oct 2016 - 31 Mar 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking by e.mail. Deposit of 50% required at time of booking with balance payable six weeks prior to arrival date.
Changeover on Mondays preferred but can be fairly flexible. Access to property from 3.00pm with departure by 11.00am. Weekend stays available (Friday to Monday) at 50% of the relative weekly charge.
Notes on prices:
Weekends (Friday to Monday) if available are at 50% of the relative weekly charge.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom with bath, wc and separate shower cubicle.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: One large double bedroom with double bed and one single bedroom with single bed and additional futon bed if required. Space for travel cot (available) in either bedroom
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Outside: Small private patio garden with table and chairs. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Plenty of bed linen, towels and tea towels provided. Bedding and towels provided for baby and travel cot.