House in La Drouardiere, near Bais, Mayenne, France - Quiet, safe location in small hamlet, 5 minutes from local small town, excellent walking area
La Drouardiere has traditional external charm and modern interiors. It has benefited from a complete modernisation. It is fully furnished throughout with modern kitchen appliances: washing machine, stove, and dishwasher. The bathroom is fully tiled with modern lighting. The oil-fired central heating provides ample warmth and piping-hot water. There are 4 bedrooms, one with double bed, and three with single beds. The other room has a sofa bed and doubles as a second lounge with internet access. The downstairs lounge is comfortable and spacious with a dining area, TV and music centre. The bright and airy kitchen also has a dining table. The large garage, which can be accessed direct from the house, contains ample garden furniture with which you can choose to dine, sun-bathe or relax outside on the garden lawn or on the smart gravel forecourt. There are numerous games to keep adults and children entertained alike. The property is entered through the remote-controlled gate. This, and the part-walled garden, make it a secure area for children. Stunning views can be enjoyed from the house and garden over the rolling hills close to the Normandie-Maine regional park. Our house can be used entirely as a chill-out retreat or as a base for cycling, walking, fishing and exploring. The area offers many varied and interesting activities. There is an excellent, newly re-furbished, outdoor pool in Bais and a good indoor pool at Evron. There are three lakeside 'beaches' within 20 minutes drive. The Roman remains at Jublains, the medieval castles at Mayenne and St. Suzanne, and the shops at Le Mans and Laval are all easily within an hour's drive. Not too far, further a field, are Mont St Michel, the Normandy beaches and the Bayeux tapestry. There is plenty of information on all the activities in the house. And, there are plenty of restaurants, for all tastes and pockets!
Top Traveller Review
Lovely spacious house
Advice and directions from the owners was excellent and we would have no hesitation in recommending.
About the Owner
About Neil Graham Thornicroft
Neil and Joy have been married for 19 years and live in East Sussex with their 13 year-old son Ewan. We are busy people holding down demanding jobs and looking after our family. We love sport, good food and wine and travelling. We became enchanted with France, in particular, many years ago. Joy's first contact with France was living and working in France for a year as part of her degree. Neil's was travelling across France to the west coast holidaying. We bought La Drouardiere 11 years ago in the desire to have a more permanent base for holidays and short trips to France. For us, this house became our 'home from home' where we could get away from the hustle and bustle back in the UK. We're pleased to say that we still enjoy coming over to the house and hope you will enjoy your stay too.
Neil Graham Thornicroft purchased this house in 2004
Why Neil Graham Thornicroft chose Mayenne
When we were deciding where to buy a holiday home in France, we thought of all the places we had visited or travelled through that had impressed us. The Mayenne department of the Pays de la Loire region topped the list! It is a predominately rural area where some things have not changed for generations. The countryside is beautiful boasting rolling hills, rivers, lakes, woods and quiet lanes bordered by hedgerows. In the summer all the picturesque villages come alive with colourful flowers in beds, tubs and hanging baskets. Farms are dotted everywhere. Generally, it has a warmer and sunnier feel than Normandy and not so crowded. It is well served by routes in and out which makes its central position easy to explore further afield in Normandy, Brittany, the Loire Valley, and the Vendee.
What makes this house unique
We looked at many properties during our search but we fell in love with La Drouardiere as soon as we clapped our eyes on it. Coming up the road and turning into the small hamlet it just seemed all that we were looking for. Inside, the house has a warm, homely, and comfortable feel and we have tried to make it our 'home from home.' It has been steadily redecorated and improved. We have installed internet access - just bring your laptop and plug-in! It is easy to move around the house with two stairs at either end enabling access to the upstairs. Outside, the property is easy to find and has a simple parking facility. The garden is spacious enabling you to spend all day there if you wish. If you have any emergencies please contact us direct in the UK.
(1 traveller reviews)
Lovely spacious house
The house was lovely, in a beautiful quiet and rural setting. There is lots of space inside and out and it's well equipped, including games for the children both inside and out. The large garden provides space for the children to play and plenty of shady parts for alfresco dining etc. The nearby lake has a beach and is great for swimming - and even has a life-guard.
Advice and directions from the owners was excellent and we would have no hesitation in recommending.
From the Owner
“When we were deciding where to buy a holiday home in France, we thought of all the places we had visited or travelled through that had impressed us. The Mayenne department of the Pays de la Loire region topped the list! It is a predominately rural area where some things have not changed for generations. The countryside is beautiful boasting rolling hills, rivers, lakes, woods and quiet lanes bordered by hedgerows. In the summer all the picturesque villages come alive with colourful flowers in beds, tubs and hanging baskets. Farms are dotted everywhere. Generally, it has a warmer and sunnier feel than Normandy and not so crowded. It is well served by routes in and out which makes its central position easy to explore further afield in Normandy, Brittany, the Loire Valley, and the Vendee.”
Activity and Interests
Mont St Michel or beaches around Granville are approx. 120 kilometres (1.5 hours by car). Normandy beaches around Arromanches are approx. 150 kilometres (2 hours by car). South Brittany coast around Vannes is approx. 250 kilometres (2.5 hours by car). The Vendee coast at St. Jean-de-Monts is 3 hours away by car. The Loire Valley around Angers or Saumur is 1.5 hours south by car.
For travel by air: Le Mans airport is 45 minutes / Rennes airport is 1 hour / Nantes airport is 1 hour 30 minutes. It is recommended that if you are travelling by air that you hire a car.
For travel by car: The property is 260 miles from the Channel Tunnel (or Calais ferry port). It takes approx. 4.5 hours if using the motorways. If using any other channel port ferries: Cherbourg it is 2.5 hours (Caen 2 hours).
Bais-2 Kilometres (small supermarket, other shops, bakers, small hotel/restaurant, bank, chemist, hairdressers, post office, decheterie, excellent outdoor swimming pool).
Evron-12 kilometres (large supermarkets, shops, banks, library, restaurants, indoor swimming pool).
Mayenne-18 kilometres (chateau, supermarkets, shops, banks, sports, restaurants, riverboats)
Mezanges-8 kilometres (Lake beach, swimming, boating, restaurant)
Jublains-10 kilometres (Roman remains)
La Drouardiere is situated close to the Normandie-Maine regional park and is ideal to use as a base for walking, cycling or generally exploring the wonderful countryside. Walk up to Mont Rochard and enjoy the stunning views! Walk or cycle down one of the bi-way tracks into Bais to collect your bread (a great way to start the day). Play tennis in Bais (next to the local football club) or take a gentle stroll around the lake. Sun-bathe around or swim in the town's superb outdoor swimming pool. There is horse riding nearby at St. Gemmes le Robert (6 kilometres away) and fishing in the lake at the pleasant village of Hambres (4 kilometres). The lakes at Gue de Selle (Mezangers) and at Sille are ideal for sandy swimming (and there is a very good restaurant at the Gue de Selle). The Roman ruins at Jublains are well-worth a visit as is the medieval castle, and restaurants, at St. Suzanne (20 kilometres). Or explore the caves at Saulges (12 kilometres south of St. Suzanne). Stroll down the river in Mayenne or take a river boat to view the town's superb castle and waterside buildings. Further down the river there are places to enjoy a picnic by the river. North of Mayenne is the attractive spa town of Bagnoles-de-l'Orne with it's large boating lake, shops and many restaurants. The area known as the Alpes Mancelles is approx. 25 kilometres away from the property to the east. It is a charming region and offers excellent walking, camping and views. The rivers Sarthe, Orthe and Vaudelle wind through the area creating spectacular scenery whilst the picturesque villages have cafes, restaurants and shops. We are only 50 kilometres (45 minutes) from the large shops and sights of Le Mans - and of course the Le Mans 24 hour race circuit - enabling you to travel-in easily each day.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Bed Linen & Towels||£50|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Please contact us direct by e-mail or telephone
(1) Minimum stay: 7 nights (June to August). Shorter stays possible in off-peak periods.
(2) We ask for a Deposit of £100.00 to secure your booking.
(3) Balance, in full, to be paid 6 weeks before arrival.
(4) A Security/Breakage Deposit of £100.00 is required for all bookings. This to be paid at the time of payment of the final balance and returned no later than 72 hours after departure if the house has been left in a satisfactory condition.
Usual changeover day is Saturday.
Arrival time: No earlier than 14.00 / Departure time: No later than 10.00
We will endeavour to be as flexible as possible - so please let us know your exact requirements.
Notes on prices:
Short breaks are possible - please ask the owner.
All weekly rates are inclusive of heating oil, cooking gas, electricity and property cleaning after your stay. Guests are expected to leave the property in a clean and tidy condition.
Deposit of £100.00 secures the booking. Balance due normally 6 weeks before arrival rental date
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We looked at many properties during our search but we fell in love with La Drouardiere as soon as we clapped our eyes on it. Coming up the road and turning into the small hamlet it just seemed all that we were looking for. Inside, the house has a warm, homely, and comfortable feel and we have tried to make it our 'home from home.' It has been steadily redecorated and improved. We have installed internet access - just bring your laptop and plug-in! It is easy to move around the house with two stairs at either end enabling access to the upstairs. Outside, the property is easy to find and has a simple parking facility. The garden is spacious enabling you to spend all day there if you wish. If you have any emergencies please contact us direct in the UK.”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Music Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- recreation centre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- First floor bathroom has a bath with shower attachment and shower curtain. There is also a mirror, hand wash basin, shaver point, hair dryer and cupboards.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Two double rooms plus three single bedrooms Notes on bedrooms: Main bedroom has double bed, bedside cabinets and clothes cupboards. Bedroom 2 has a double Sofa bed. Bedroom 3 has a single bed and clothes cupboards. Bedrooms 4 & 5 have single beds both with clothes cupboards.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Heating and hot water is provided by oil-fired boiler / radiators. Cooking is by Calor Gas bottle fed into the kitchen and is included in the holiday price. There are two sets of garden furniture and a BBQ for your use. We have good stocks of games, books, music CDs and various DVDs which you are welcome to use and enjoy if you wish. There are further games in the garage: air soccer, croquet set, boules, a football goal which are also included as well as two adult bikes. There is a travel cot if you have very young children. No pets allowed and no smoking allowed in the property. Parking is easy in front of the house. There is a folder advising further information on house rules, appliances and local amenities, activities etc available on your arrival. Further information (keys pick-up etc.) advised no later than two weeks before your departure from the UK. The owners do not live on site or nearby. For emergencies contact us direct in the UK or our French neigbour next door. Outside: La Drouardiere has an enviable position and outlook. The property and garden boasts a glorious view across fields to the hills of Mont Rochard (close to the Normandie-Maine Regional Park). The garden is self-contained with a lawn, Camilla bushes, Magnolia tree, borders and hedges giving privacy from the adjoining neighbours. The gravel area in front of the house serves as a parking area and patio. You can sit and take in the view from here, or the lawn, using either of the two sets of garden furniture. One is an easy-clean white round table and four chairs, the other is a larger wooden teak table with six chairs. Whether dining on the patio, or the lawn, you can relax and take-in the often superb and balmy Mayenne evenings. The traditional mobile BBQ can be positioned wherever desired. There is a rotary washing line that can be positioned in the holder in the lawn. Utility Room: Utility room houses the oil-fired boiler which serves the central heating and hot water provision. There is also a washing machine, sink, vacuum cleaner, broom, cool bag, umbrella, iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The property is cleaned after each booking and is included in your booking. All Bed linen & towels are not provided and guests should bring their own. Bed linen & towels can be supplied for a service charge of £40.00/week and are washed/changed weekly. Other: Upstairs Lounge/bedroom has internet facilities and bookcase stocked with books for all interests.