Red Lion Cottage in Blockley, The Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England - Peacefully Located On A Pretty Country Lane Overlooking The Surrounding Countryside
Red Lion Cottage is a gorgeous Grade II listed property situated on a quiet lane overlooking the surrounding countryside. Despite its tranquil setting the cottage is in the heart of Blockley - a peaceful, pretty and thriving village, boasting 2 pubs, a 5* restaurant, a Norman church and a community village shop/cafe. Blockley is also the picturesque setting for the BBC 1 period drama 'Father Brown'. The Cottage is believed to date back to 1750 and has been beautifully refurbished whilst maintaining many character features including an Inglenook fireplace, window seats, wooden beams and ledge and brace doors. Complementing these period features are full modern facilities including digital TV, Sky sports channels, WiFi internet and a brand new Shaker-style kitchen. There is a pretty roof top terrace. The Layout of Red Lion Cottage makes it an ideal retreat for one or two couples or a small family. There is a fully equipped bathroom upstairs and a downstairs shower room with a wc.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
Airport - Birmingham International Airport - 42 miles
London Heathrow - 76 miles
Bristol - 75 miles
Railway - Moreton-in-Marsh. Regular direct service to London Paddington
Travelling by car:
Blockley is easily accessed by car being located approximately 1 mile away from the A44 and approximately 3 miles away from the A429 (Fosse Way) which are two of the main roads through the North Cotswolds
Good local bus services to local towns and villages
Walking along High Street towards Dovedale Woods leads you to Red Lion Cottage's front door which opens into a haven of 5 star luxury - designer furnishings, Egyptian cotton bed linen and numerous period features.
Blockley has a number of places to ear and drink - all just a short walk from the cottage. The Crown Inn, The Great Western Arms, Lower Brook House are to name a few. The community shop and cafe is the hub of the village offering a wide range of basic groceries and necessities. The licensed cafe is open all day serving breakfast, lunch, coffee and tea (with homemade cakes!)
There are many excellent places to eat and drink in the wider North Cotswold area, with the towns of Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Moreton-in-Marsh, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Burford and Chipping Norton offering a variety of tea shops, pubs and restaurants catering for most tastes and budgets. There are also many traditional Cotswold pubs located in the lovely villages throughout the North Cotswolds.
Moreton-in-Marsh has several supermarkets - Co-Op, Tesco and Budgens and Tesco and Waitrose will deliver directly to the door
The list below is a very small sample to give you a flavour for the wide range of attractions and activities that are available in and around the Cotswolds. Tourist information centres are located in all the main North Cotswold towns.
Cheltenham Race Course
Cotswold Farm Park
Broadway Tower Country Park
Snowshill Manor and Garden
Activities available in the Cotswolds include walking, cycling, horse riding, golf, swimming and rock climbing.
- Booking Notes:
If you would like to book Red Lion Cottage please contact the owner.
Changeover days are flexible subject to availability. Arrival after 3pm and departure by 10am.
Notes on prices:
Please contact us for full pricing details and nightly rates (weekday and weekend rates available)
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- autumn foliage
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- The main bathroom is accessed via the landing - Victorian style slipper bath, heated towel rail, basin and WC. Downstairs is a large shower room/WC, decorated with designer wallpaper, lime stone floors and heated towel rail. Towels are provided
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 is a warm bright comfortable room with lovely views, window seat, wrought iron double bed, bedside tables and large fitted wardrobes. Bedroom 2 is a bright cosy double room with pretty views, window seat, bedside table and storage for clothes
- Notes on accommodation: No pets are permitted. Red Lion Cottage is a strictly no smoking property in both the internal and external areas. Due to the steep stone steps up to the roof terrace the property is not suitable for children of toddling age. There is plenty of unrestricted parking on the lane in front of the Cottage. Electricity and gas are included in the letting price. There is an Inglenook fireplace with a fireguard in the living room. Enough wood for your first fire is provided in the winter months. Additional logs can be bought easily. A small quantity of initial consumables are provided for your convenience (tea, coffe, sugar, dishwasher tablets etc) However you should not expect the quantity of these provisions to be sufficient for the duration of your stay. Outside: Stone steps leading from the kitchen takes you up to the roof top terrace which is a real sun-trap as it's south facing with a raised planted border. Gravelled seating area with a wooden table and chairs seating 4. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Luxury Egyptian cotton bed linen and fluffy white towels are provided. All beds are freshly made up. For stays of longer than 7 nights a mid stay clean and linen change can be arranged.