Cottage in East Linton, Nr. Dunbar, Lothians, Scotland - Peaceful Off-Road Location Village With Two Pubs Half Mile, Beaches 3 Miles
Nestling between the National Trust properties of Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot, on the edge of fields, The West Wing is part of a former miller's cottage some 250 years old and is close to the river Tyne, whose banks team with wildlife. Here you may be lucky enough to spot otters and kingfishers, and will certainly see dippers bobbing up and down on the rocks. Our local village of East Linton, much loved by artists, is attractive and has a small supermarket, chemist, baker, delicatessen and award-winning butcher as well as two pubs. Fresh fish can be bought from a van twice weekly. Close by are magnificent beaches for hiking, boating and surfing; historic castles and gardens; splendid golf courses; a country park for the children; the popular Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick, where you can also take a boat trip round the Bass Rock to see the colony of over 100,000 gannets; even Concorde, now on display at the Museum of Flight.
About the Owner
John and Val Tuckwell are retired publishers (which explains why there are so many books in the cottage). John always wanted an old house in the country, and Val always wanted a large garden where she could grow lots of flowers, fruit and vegetables. Twenty two years ago they fell in love with The Mill House, and they have been very happy here ever since. It was a market garden for over a hundred years and the soil is well-nigh perfect. It feels away from it all, yet it is only a short walk to the village, and Edinburgh is so easy to reach for a day out.
Guestbook comments from the owner
From the Owner
“This area is beautiful, peaceful, very close to the sea, has excellent soil, and is close to shops and culture when we want them.”
Activity and Interests
5 minute drive to Ravensheugh, part of the John Muir Country Park, a huge sandy beach backed by sand dunes and salt marsh. The haunt of skylarks. Often deserted.
10 minute drive to North Berwick, a family beach with a large paddling pool on the sands.
And many more...
Edinburgh airport 25 miles.
Use of car is recommended.
East Linton half mile
North Berwick, Dunbar, Haddington each 5 miles.
Edinburgh 25 miles.
To be supplied later
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
29 Oct 2016 - 23 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking by email. Deposit 10% on booking, balance 4 weeks prior to holiday.
Saturday after 3pm arrival
Saturday before 10am departure
Low season short breaks may be available
Notes on prices:
Christmas and New Year prices on application
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We have a lot of space around us in this glorious conservation area. When we fancy a short stroll after dinner, for example, we can walk right round the field and along the river bank and watch the sun set over the village church, or we can cross the bridge (good for playing pooh-sticks here!) and walk through the meadow to the very picturesque Preston Mill. Maybe we'll spot a heron by the weir, or a bat, or an owl - and there's always a chance of that elusive kingfisher.,,”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room with large bow-front shower, bidet, toilet, wash basin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1- Kingsize bed, sofa, fitted wardrobes, dual aspect, view. Bedroom 2 - Double bed, armchair, fitted wardrobes, chest of drawers, view. Bedroom 3 - Single bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, armchair All beds have electric blanket, tables and lamps.
- Golf ...
- Outside: There is an attractive enclosed patio garden to this property, including a small pond. Garden furniture is provided, and also a bird table and a supply of bird seed. We ourselves are keen on feeding the birds, and now attract many different species. Gardening is our hobby and our own garden is usually very colourful and can be seen from the upper windows of The West Wing. The driveway passes between our two little paddocks and you will often see our neighbours' three horses, Fanta, Lechie and Puggle, grazing there. Dog owners will particularly appreciate being able to walk their dogs off lead straight from the cottage, as we are a quarter of a mile off road. There are several attractive walks you can follow from your front door, whether along the river bank, up to Smeaton lake, or over the fields to the beach. Some of our visitors very much enjoy the mile-long circular walk through East Linton for their morning rolls! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All towels and linen are included. Towels and linen are changed weekly.