Waldron, Heathfield, E Sussex - Secluded but a Short Walk To The Village With A Fabulous Pub And Shop
It is hard to find the real countryside so easily accessible from central London, Gatwick or Heathrow Airports. Waldron is perfect in every way. A lovely little village complete with gastro pub, coffee & village shop, the perfect romantic church and all set in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Our home is totally private with views over the South Downs to the sea at Beachy Head yet within commuter distance from central London and only 30 minutes from the South Coast of England.
Top Traveller Review
We had the most amazing weekend at Old Glebe
About the Owner
I am the owner of Old Glebe and Les Bosses. I live and work in London but plan to spend my retirement in the countryside, hence having these two lovely houses which I dont have enough time to enjoy.
My houses are personal properties and are very different. Les Bosses, is a charming simple cottage set in very peaceful rural Brittany. Old Glebe and Stable Cottage are perfect for large family gatherings, weddings and landmark parties and only an hour on the train from London.
I hope you enjoy your holiday, I am always very happy in both places and delighted to share them with you!
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We just arrived at The Old Glebe in the dark. We had stopped at The Star to ask directions and ended up staying for some time in this lovely pub by the open fire. Once in the house we were delighted. Comfy, warm and very spacious - we are going to enjoy our two weeks in this gorgeous part of England." Caroline, 2013
"We have never had such excited children. They ran out of the house and down the lawn to pick raspberries from the garden. The Old Glebe is heaven." Alison, Aug 2013
"We loved it from first sight and enjoyed both sitting on the terrace on a warm day and in front of the open fire on a cold one. We had a perfect British country holiday and even managed a couple of great day trips in to see the sites of London. Thank you." Mrs S, New York, Aug 2013
"It's a wonderful experience to stay here and all my friends and family have enjoyed the house. We are planning to come here for at least one trip every year." Mr M, Northampton, Aug 2013
5 based on 27 holidaymaker reviews
We had the most amazing weekend at Old Glebe
We can not recommend Old Glebe enough, the photos and description do not do it justice. We were a group of 25 ranging from 6 weeks old to 80 years old! Our older relatives enjoyed having the cottage to retreat to which is decorated and furnished to a beautifully high standard. The house is full of things to keep everyone entertained, books, games, tennis courts, trampoline, go cart. We organised a shopping delivery to arrive on our first evening, which meant nobody had (or wanted!) to leave the entire weekend. We are already planning our return visit!
Old Glebe, waldron
Old Glebe is the perfect venue for a large group holiday. It has absolutely everything you could need. We had a superb weekend and didn't need to go further than the excellent local pub.
Beautiful country house
We celebrated a family birthday at Old Glebe with a group of 23 people, from 4 to 79 years old, and everyone loved it, it's an amazing place. The house felt like home, it is well equipped and nicely decorated, spotlessly clean and with friendly touches like bottles of toiletries. Lots of space both indoors and outdoors for everyone to get together but also to have their own privacy if needed.
The heated swimming pool was a hit, as were the tennis courts, trampoline, and table tennis, there were also games, DVDs, books, toys etc., so much to do. People enjoyed walks around the fields and to the local village and pub. The location is lovely and peaceful, but also handy for trains to London and trips to the coast. Most people arrived from overseas, the house is only about an hour's drive from Gatwick airport. We did our food shopping in Heathfield (10 mins away), and the local caterer that Old Glebe recommended prepared us a wonderful birthday meal one evening.
Everything run smoothly - the booking was easy, Beth was very helpful throughout and answered all queries, the deposit was returned without delay. I would highly recommend Old Glebe for a family or friends get-together!
Family and friends get together
This was our second visit to Old Glebe , we stayed there in August 2014 and fell in love with it . We are a large group with an age range from 2 years to 70 . It meets our needs in every way and now there is a pool and the beautiful cottage it's even better . We were all sad the weekend flew by so quickly and all agreed we hope to return for a longer stay next year . I'm sure we can find an excuse for a family celebration !!
I must say I was overwhelmed by the size of this cottage. I celebrated my 30th surprise birthday here and we stayed for a total of 3 nights.
A very clean and well maintained property that I would highly recommend to friends and relatives.
The location is brilliant as it is very quiet and peaceful. The facilities onsite are very great and you never get bored.
I would just say that the owner should provide fans as the rooms can get very warm at night.
Also WiFi boosters must be placed on each floor as if there are more than 5 handsets connected to the WiFi it does get really slow.
Lastly some lighting on the driveway, patio and gardens would be great as after sunset it can become very pitch black outdoors.
A fantastic place with ample rooms and space.
Was a delightful stay.
Top class venue with everything for a successful and really enjoyable family celebration.
We all had very high expectations just going by the description of the property. But when we actually got to stay at Old Glebe the place exceeded these expectations by far in every way! We had a super time celebrating a 70th Birthday over a 3 day weekend with close friends and family from as far as Australia. Age range was from 7 month to 80+ years old. Everybody was delighted with absolutely everything on offer. There was something for everyone. We never had a dull moment, as there was so much to do. The weather was great and allowed us to make full use of all outdoor activities provided: swimming in the heated pool, playing tennis, trampolining, outdoor cooking etc. We never even left the premises as we were so busy enjoying our stay.
Old Glebe turned out to be the best venue ever for our family gathering! Highly recommended. Everything was top class.
From the Owner
“Old Glebe is a British Rural idyll. Peace and quiet, big skies, views of the South Downs and the coast beyond. All this just 60 minutes from central London on the train.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The house is ideal for a Yoga Retreat or Tennis & Swimming. The large pool is heated from mid May to end October with an electric cover. Local riding stables. 15 mins from Glyndebourne Opera House.
This is the only house we know with a football pitch on the tennis court. Easy to remove net, converts court into pitch with full size 7 a side goals. No astros.
The local Gliding school also offers courses.
Waldron is just north of the South Downs, Eastbourne and Beachy Head. We are about 35 minutes drive from Brighton and about 30 minutes from Tunbridge Wells.
Gatwick Airport - 45 minutes drive (£50 taxi)
Heathrow Airport - 90 minutes drive
Buxted British Rail Station - 4 miles (10 minutes drive) - approx. 1 hour to London Bridge or Clapham Junction.
Waldron with pub/café/shop/church - is 1/4 mile
Heathfield with supermarket and all facilities - is 4 miles
Brighton/Eastbourne - is 35 - 40 minutes drive
Central London - is 1 1/2 hours drive.
This area of East Sussex has so many fabulous attractions that we could not mention them all. From Goodwood Race Course to Bewly Water Park, The South Downs National Park, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Brighton Marina etc. It would be very possible to spend a month in the house and visit a new attraction each day.
Full tourist information in kept in the house.
PLEASE NOTE: Whilst we are very private we are in a slightly raised location and noise travels. There is to be NO LOUD MUSIC outside at any time of day and evening parties must have the music turned off at midnight. Please be kind to our neighbours - apparently whilst they are two fields away they can hear every track since the noise travels down from our elevated position.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
31 Oct 2016 - 22 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
3 Jan 2017 - 18 May 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
19 May 2017 - 29 Oct 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
30 Oct 2017 - 21 Dec 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
22 Dec 2017 - 4 Jan 2018
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£1,000|
Please check availability on the calendar above. Please check prices on the chart above. THIS IS KEPT UP TO DATE AND IS ACCURATE.
To book email us with details of your dates. A 25% deposit is requested to hold the booking. Full details of how to find the house, house information and key details will be sent upon full payment. Weekdays Check in 4pm and check out 10am. WEEKEND RATE includes full use of the house for the whole weekend CHECK IN FRIDAY 4PM AND CHECKOUT AS LATE AS YOU LIKE SUNDAY NIGHT.
Weddings & parties quoted separately. Please contact us for more information.
N.B DOG OWNERS - THERE ARE SOMETIMES SHEEP IN THE FIELDS NEXT TO THE HOUSE.
Changeover Day is Friday, however we may be able to be flexible if there is availability. Please check the calendar. We often have same day change overs so please leave promptly. If you wish to come early please ask first.
Notes on prices:
The house is priced per night.
- Weekends prices are higher because you have full use of the house for the whole of Sunday with no fixed check out time.
- Bank holiday w/ends, half term & peak season are min 4 nights.
- Xmas & NY min 7 nights (no discount)
- Week days (Mon-thurs) may be booked for a min of 2 nights.
- Prices for up to 20 across both houses (For max 9 extra: 5 Z-beds, 1 single bed, double futon: Add £25 per person per night)
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The house and stable cottage are perfect for a family get together, landmark birthday or break. The house has a huge dining room table for a lovely long dinner party and the grounds offer plenty of activities from Tennis, Football, Swimming Pool (May-Oct), Trampoline, Croquet etc. Being only an hour by train from London you can spend more time enjoying life and keep travel to a minimum. Old Glebe is perfectly situated close to the village, but private in its own grounds. It makes a great base to explore the South Coast, South Downs and the villages of East Sussex and Kent. NB: Whilst we are very private, noise carries down to the village and out of respect for our neighbours we request all music to stop at midnight and limited noise outside after 11pm.”
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Game Room
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool ...
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- 6000 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Big House: 4 bathrooms plus ground floor WC: 2 en-suites with bath and showers, 1 en-suite shower only, 1 family bathroom with bath and shower, plus downstairs cloakroom with wc. Stable Cottage: 2 bathrooms plus ground floor WC.
- 10 Bedrooms, Sleeps 29
- 1. Silver Room - 1 Large Double Bed, With freestanding bath and en-suit shower room
- 2. Blue Room - 1 Large Double Bed, With en-suite bath/shower room and balcony
- 3. White Room - 1 Large Double Bed, Large room with travel cot under bed and wash basin
- 4. Fucshia Room - 1 Large Double Bed
- 5. Turquoise Room - 1 Double Bed
- 6. Lime Green Room - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, With bunk bed, small double to base, single above
- 7. Loft Room - 1 Large Double Bed, 4 Single Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, With a Four Poster, Double Futon and 4 Z-beds in a cupboard
- 8. Cottage Master Bedroom - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, Large Double with Bath and En-suite Shower & WC (Z-bed)
- 10. Cottage Petit Prince Double - 1 Large Double Bed, Cosy but Comfy (Small) Double Bedroom
- 9. Cottage Tin Tin Double Room - 1 Large Double Bed, Large Double Room with entry access to family bathroom.
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 20 (10 double bedrooms) but there are 5 extra z-beds, a double futon, a single and a top bunk bed allowing Max occupation of 29. Notes on bedrooms: Big House: 7 bedrooms: 2 double/en-suites; 2 doubles; 1 double with single bed and basin; 1 double/single bunk; 1 double four poster in huge loft room/en-suite with 4 Z-beds, 1 double futon. Max 22. Stable Cottage: 3 bedrooms: 1 double/en-suite with 1 Z-beds, 2 doubles. Max 7. Total 29 in 10 bedrooms, but ideal for 20 if 2 to a room.
- Balcony ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: The Big House and Stable Cottage are ideal for families or groups of friends (over the age of 30 years). There are 10 bedrooms of which 5 are huge and 5 are average of which 2 are small, but comfortable. The fact that the house is so private (set in 30 acres of garden and farmland) yet only a short walk from Waldron with its lovely gastro pub (The Star) and village shop/café, plus only one hour's commute to central London means this is an ideal country retreat. To be within daily commuter distance of London, a stone's throw from the village facilities, 30 minutes from the south coast and with a stunning view of the South Downs is remarkable. The Old Glebe offers you the best of all worlds. Outside: The house is up a long cherry tree lined drive, safe for children and dogs. With sweeping lawns, wooded areas (with hammocks, camp fires and view of the sunset), a kitchen garden and orchard (help yourselves) and plenty of space to explore and have fun/play games. Stable Cottage is just beyond the house, within easy reach for groups of friends or quite private if rented separately. There are even some stables and a paddock if a pony needs to come along too (by separate arrangement). There are outside games including football pitch on the tennis, a trampoline, heated swimming pool, croquet and go-cart. In summer hammocks are strung up offering a lovely place to relax in the shade. There are swings in the trees of the little copse. Strict Pool Rules must be observed for your own safety. The pool has an electric safety cover. Open May - Oct. Old Glebe is wonderful for the imagination and to have an adventure in your own space and land. Utility Room: Big House: Washing machine, laundry line, outside washing lines, iron and ironing board, etc. Stable Cottage: Washing machine, iron and ironing board, etc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Cleaning during your stay by arrangement priced at £15 per hour. After stay clean is included in the price if house left tidy and organized with everything back in place. Linen included. Pets charged at £10 per night per pet Broadband/WIFI which can be slow with 20 people all logged in.