Barn in Cwmyoy, Near Abergavenny, Wales - Very Peaceful Rural Location
Our barn is one of the most spectacularly positioned houses in the Llantony valley in the Black Mountains. Perched high on Hatterall Ridge in the Brecon Beacons National Park, the views from the barn are truly breathtaking. Stand at the kitchen window and the valley sweeps away before you towards Hay on Wye. The barn is set in 3.5 acres of land, there is a flat grass lawn we call the football pitch and a trampoline (used at your own risk), from one corner of the land there is a footpath down to the Queen’s Head Pub through Strawberry Wood just below the barn. Two beautiful old barns have been lovingly renovated to create a warm, spacious and light family home with the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. It is important to note that the barn is approached from a muddy track which can be difficult to to drive in adverse weather conditions - snow and heavy rain in particular. Although you are in the middle of nowhere with only sheep for neighbours,
About the Owner
I live in London with my husband and 6 children aged from 18 down to 3! We all love going down to our barn in Wales, it is the place where we all breath again and recharge. It is where we spend Christmas and Easter with extended family as it has a wonderful atmosphere.
We do alot of walking when we are in Wales and have pub lunches. The children love riding so they ride whenever we are there. I also do alot of cooking, we are very hungry when we get back from a long walk! There are some fantastic restaurants very close to the barn
If the sun is shining we lie on the sun bed on the terrace and soak up the view and the sun and if the weather is wet we curl up in front of the fire with a book or some games. We also watch old favourites such as Faulty Towers and Four Weddings and a Fune
From the Owner
“We had fallen in love with the Llantony Valley for some time and had looked at many properties over the years in the valley, the barns which were not much more than a pile of stones came up for sale, they were in the most stunning location with views down the valley, I imagined standing at my sink washing up looking at the view( at the time my kitchen was a field!). You feel very at one with nature when you are there, the birds circle right in front of the barn and there are cows and sheep in the surrounding fields. We had to put in electricity and telephone lines across three fields and also dig a bore hole for water. I am an interior designer in London so I have made the barn very comfortable so it is a great mix of being in the middle of nowhere but all mod cons.”
Activity and Interests
A large car is essential as the barn is located at the end of a farm track that can be very muddy at certain times of the year. The track crosses 2 fields which have sheep and cows in. There are 2 gates to go through and a cattle grid as you enter the property.
Abergavenny is only 15 minutes drive away and Hereford is 20 mins.
Hay-on-Wye is the largest second hand book shop in the world and holds a fabulous literary festival at the beginning of June every year and has lots of nice shops to wander around. Often Gifford’s circus are based in Hay during the festival.
The Crown at Pantigelli has great food and charming owners Steve and Cherrie, it is lovely place for lunch or dinner, it takes about 15 minutes from the barn to the pub.
The Kilpeck Pub has delicious food and is about 20 mins from the barn.
The pub within the ruins of Llantony Abbey is a lovely place to have a drink and a simple plate of chips but the food is not good.
The Queen’s Head Pub is 10 mins walk from the barn down through Strawberry Wood. It is a good place for a drink and a packet of crisps but the food is basic fare. The barman can be very grumpy but if you tell him that you are staying in the barn he will generally warm up a little!
The Skirrid Pub in Llanvihangel Crucorney is 10 mins drive from the barn, it is the oldest pub in Wales. It is a very traditional pub.
Within 10 minutes drive from the barn is the Walnut Tree Restaurant which is a Michelin Star restaurant with delicious food. You do need to book in advance and it is not cheap!
About 15minutes away is another very good restaurant called The Hardwick with its Michelin starred chef, Stephen Terry.
The Bell at Skenfrith is abit further afield, it is about half an hour’s drive.
There is a new restaurant Toi and Moi that has just opened about half an hour away which has superb French food.
CRICKHOWELL is a lovely town with lots of cafes to stop in to have a cup of tea and watch the world go by. The old coaching inn is called the Bear Inn which is a very traditional pub. If you are looking to buy some nice meat for supper there is a great butcher in the High Street.
Leominster is a lovely place to visit with good restaurants and a good market along with Ross on Wye which has many good shops to browse in and you can wander along the river to walk off your lunch. Hereford Cathedral with the Mappa Mundi is worth a visit and a look round the old town.
The Forest of Dean has bicycles that you can hire and many different paths to cycle on or just walk in the woods.
- Booking Notes:
Please contact owner.
Please contact owner.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The barn is located in the middle of fields with sweeping views of Llantony valley but I can still get to the station in Abergavenny in 15 mins and also get to one of the biggest Waitrose in England in 20 mins! There are some amazing restaurants very close by and a huge amount of activities such as pony trekking, hang gliding, mountain biking, canoeing, riding, walking, shooting to name but afew! Hereford is 25 minutes from us and London is 2.45hours all on motorway until the last 10 minutes. There is a trampoline in the garden as well as a swing and slide. The double sunbed placed for lying and looking at the view is glorious and there is a huge table that we shipped back from Bali on the terrace which seats 12. The children love the table tennis table and the swing ball.”
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- There are three bathrooms in total all with heated towel rails and roll topped baths to soak in after a long walk. Two out of three of the bathrooms has a shower and there is a downstairs loo.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The master bedroom has an ensuite bathroom with a roll top bath and two basins. Child’s bedroom with a sleigh bed and a travel cot has a connecting door to the main bedroom. Four bedrooms have super king size beds and one bedroom has two large singles.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: All the beds except the sleigh bed are Vi Spring and have goose down duvets, pillows and mattress toppers. Four bedrooms have super king size beds and one bedroom has two large singles. A few steps up from the kitchen is the sitting room with a large antique bathstone open fireplace, comfortable sofa and chairs and French windows that open onto the courtyard. There are book shelves stacked with lots of books for young and old to curl up with on a rainy day by the fire. There is a TV with a DVD player in a cupboard in the sitting room so you can divide and rule on what you want to watch as there is another TV in the playroom. The kitchen is a large light filled room which links the two barns, there are French windows that open onto a sheltered courtyard on one side that has a very large bbq and a table tennis table, on the other side the doors open onto terrace which looks down the valley and there is a large sunbed for the balmy days and an iron wood table from Bali which seats twel Outside: There are french windows from the kitchen out onto 2 patios. One patio has a large table we shipped from Bali which seats 12 people, this has views down the valley, there is also a double sunbed. On the other side there is a courtyard with a table tennis table and a large gas bbq. The garden has a trampoline and a swing and slide. The outside space around the barn is 3.5 acres. Utility Room: In the under stair cupboards in the playroom there is a washing machine, tumble drier, microwave and the smallest freezer you have ever seen, only useful for a bag of peas! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The bedlinen is all Egyptian cotton.