3 bedroom Cottage in Keswick, Sunny Private Garden, Mountain Views
Rose cottage is built of local stone with a slate roof. It is typical of its period (circa 1850) and location. The cottage is in an elevated position facing south west with panoramic views stretching from the Wythop Fells in the west through Thornthwaite, Barf, Grisedale Pike, Whinlatter, and the beautiful Newlands Valley to the Gates of Borrowdale. The cottage overlook the mouth of the River Derwent where is empties into Bassenthwaite Lake. This is a favourite fishing ground for the Lake District Ospreys which have nested in the Thornthwaite area opposite the cottage for several years. There is a sunny lawn to the front of the house with a paved seating area. There are also large well established shrubberies and an orchard for guests to explore and enjoy. The garden is enclosed and is teeming with bird life. There are red squirrels in the wood above and hedgehogs are frequent visitors. We make pets very welcome.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
My name is Mary Peel and though I have travelled far and wide I have lived most of my life in the Keswick area. I grew up on the Mirehouse Estate, firstly at Mirehouse Cottages and then at Sandhills Farm, just along the road. I know every stone of Rose Cottage and the woods and fields around. I am very proud to welcome you into our family home.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Loads to do in the area for Teenagers and Dogs. We would love to come back to this clean and comfortable and well equipped cottage
5 based on 5 holidaymaker reviews
My husband and I and our golden retriever first stayed at Rose Cottage for our honeymoon in 2014. It was everything we could have hoped for, so much so that we had to return this year to celebrate our Anniversary. The cottage and the views are breathtakingly beautiful. Sitting in the garden on a warm evening watching the sun go down or watching the mist lift over the mountains are both memories that we will never forget. Total relaxation, we cannot wait to return. Thank you Mary Peel for being such a wonderful host and allowing us the honour of staying in the family home.
What a Find
Had a fantastic week here it’s a beautiful location with walks on your door step. The cottage is full of character very comfortable and well equipped. The wood burner was a real treat for a cosy evening. Will defiantly be returning next year.
wonderful place to stay
We had a fabulous week here despite a bit of lake district rain. Is a beautiful location, very comfortable and well equipped. Wood burner is perfect for warming up and drying. Back kitchen great and well thought out for our dogs. Will be back very soon we hope.
Rose Cottage is set in a fabulous garden in a great location overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake. There are great walks from the door. The cottage is full of character, warm, comfortable and well equipped. Mary the owner is very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed our stay and plan to return in the future.
Rose cottage is a lovely place to stay for weekend or longer near keswick town centre. The location is great for long walks and fab views from the beutiful garden and all rooms in side. It was spotlessley clean and garden enclosed which is great for families with dogs. The owner mary provides good service and has lots of knowledge about the area and the best places to visit. The cottage is warm thruout so even wintertime is really cozy. We would recommend rose cottage to any of our friends as a good place to stay while visiting keswick.
From the Owner
“Rose Cottage belongs to the Peel family. We are John, Mary and Liz Peel, Lucy and Tom. After farming at Sandhills Farm (just along the road towards Bassenthwaite) for more than 40 years our parents (Lucy and Tom's grandparents) bought Rose Cottage from the Mirehouse Estate for their retirement in 1980. Their retirement was a long and happy one, looking out over the land that they had farmed for so many years. My mother in particular was a keen gardener and established a beautiful garden. Though she died several years ago we have done our very best to keep the garden as she would have liked it. My parents were very hospitable people and it feels right for us to welcome you into our home.”
Activity and Interests
The village of Bassenthwaite is less than four miles away and has a traditional village pub.
Rose Cottage is 3.6miles away from the bustling market town of Keswick which caters for all your needs
There is an excellent supermarket in Keswick (Booths). Additionally Keswick holds a market on Thursdays and Saturdays throughout the year where a selection of local produce can be bought.
The towns of Penrith and Cockermouth are each less than 30 minutes drive away.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A £100 deposit is required on booking, and a booking is only firm once a full deposit has been received and written confirmation sent. The balance is payable 28 days before arrival.
Changeover day is Friday. The cottage is available from 4pm on Friday. Guests who arrive earlier are very welcome to leave their vehicle.
We ask you to vacate the cottage by 10.00am on the agreed day of departure.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Though Rose Cottage is in a rural location it is less than 4 miles from Keswick on the A591. Because Rose Cottage is in a rural location you can be as loud as you like and you will disturb no-one. It is also absolutely certain that no-one will disturb you. Rose Cottage is a brilliant place for birdwatching. It is quite likely that during the summer months you will see the ospreys fishing in the lake below you.”
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- children welcome
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Upstairs. Bathroom with WC and wash hand basin. There is a new electric shower over the bath. Downstairs. There is a separate cloakroom WC and wash hand basin by the back door.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: The Master bedroom has a super-king sized bed. This is a 'zip and link' bed - made up of two 3ft beds that can be separated. Bedroom 2: Also has super-king sized 'zip and link' bed, that can be separated upon request. Bedroom 3: Single bed.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Rose cottage is a family owned and family run holiday home. We have recently refurbished Rose Cottage throughout with a view to providing maximum comfort yet retaining the traditional wood panelled doors, cupboards and stairway. Bedrooms can be adjusted to suit couples or families. The cottage has had a long and happy association with dogs, and whereas the security of your pet remains your responsibility, we hope that the whole family can enjoy the freedom of the garden. The cottage is new on the holiday market and we have made every effort to ensure that it is very well equipped however if there is anything you require to make your holiday more complete you are actively encouraged to contact us. We have a wide local knowledge, and live close by and we are happy to advise you about local pubs, restaurants and places to visit. Outside: There is a large private enclosed garden with a lawn and paved seating area. There is garden furniture. There is a separate orchard with a clothes line. There are magnificent views from all parts of the garden and orchard. There is parking for three cars. Utility Room: Fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are provided and are included in the price. There is bath sheet and hand towel per person. Towels, linen, and tea towels are changed every Friday. Other: Tiled heated and well lit back kitchen with a boot rack and plenty of hanging space for jackets and coats. This is a favourite place of dogs. There is a garage for storage of bikes canoes wetsuits etc.