Apartment in Santa Maria, Sal Island, Cape Verde - Quiet Location, Easy Access To The Vibrant Town Of Santa Maria. Stunning Beaches On The Doorstep
This holiday home accommodates six people with ease. Luxuriously appointed new apartment, fully air-conditioned, secure, overlooking a large communal swimming pool with separate children’s pool and play area, snack bar. Enjoy and indulge luxury, at superb prices, beautifully appointed with fabulous public areas. Lift access to apartment and whole resort built for ease of pushchair and wheelchair users. Includes satellite TV, DVD player, washing machine, full size fridge freezer, safe, balcony, maid service for stays over 1 week. Guest services on site to arrange airport transfers, taxis, car hire, trips and excursions, travel to neighbouring islands. The price is for the apartment and not per person and assumes 4 occupants, please add £50 to the weekly rate if there are more than 4 guests to cover the cost of extra linens. Euros payment please contact us. Please note this is an apartment, and not a hotel complex, Vila Verde is nice and quite, ideal for those chilled-out, relaxing holidays.
About the Owner
I am married, aged 47, and have a professional career. My husband and I have travelled all over the World and when looking for a holiday home to buy, we wanted somewhere that we could get too quickly, without any down-time due to jet lag, and with reasonably price flights. We love the Caribbean and far east but not the flying time, and with many European countries, it is not pleasant in winter - we wanted somewhere we could visit at any time of the year and not have to worry about the weather. Cape Verde is constantly around 25 degrees, has long, sunny days, beautiful sunsets, warm and friendly locals, and a really laid back attitude to life. We first visited Cape Verde in 2004 and we were enchanted by Sal.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Despite booking less than 24 hours before departure all went smoothly plus Lee arranged for me to be met at the airport for the transfer to the apartment which cost just 12 euros. The apartment is bright, spacious and clean with a large full width south-facing balcony which gets the sun virtually all day with open views over to Santa Maria. It is nicely furnished and fitted out though apart from a handful of DVD‘s there is not much in the way of entertainment so you should ensure you bring your own - incidentally I didn't see a single bookshop/seller in Santa Maria so bear this in mind if you like to read! The apartment is on a large but very quiet (in February at least ) complex and whilst our blocks pool wasn't open I had the use of other pool areas a short stroll away. The complex is a 20 minute flat walk into S. Maria but there is a free shuttle bus at set times and a taxi is just 4 euros and even less at 400 escudos. One word of warning - as of mid-Feb the lift wasn't working so as the apartment is on the second floor the elderly etc may wish to check on this? All in all - well pleased with the apartment and my visit to Sal!!
From the Owner
“It's easy to get to, the climate is fantastic, the locals are friendly and welcoming, the food is amazing, the beaches are fantastic, the sea is warm, it's paradise! Year round Sun, sea, beaches, restaurants, bars, spas, 'Latino-Portuguese-African' blend of music and culture adds to relaxation. Local people and fellow holiday maker’s friendliness. Close proximity to airport is an added 15 mins away. "No Stress" as the Cape Verde motto goes is so true! Worth flying that extra hour south of the Canaries for more guaranteed sunshine, and far superior beaches. All guests so far agree! (See guest comments)”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Sal Island is very appealing to lovers of water activities. Others like to sit back and watch the world go by, with nothing to think about other than simply 'fun in the sun'.
Ideal location for keen surfers - wind, body, kite and paddle surfing are all popular pastimes. Annual windsurfing championships held here January/February each year. Also excellent for deep sea fishing, diving, snorkelling and sun bathing. Jazz and music festivals held May to August each year. Great base for island hopping for longer stay guests. Many love the thrill of quad bikes, which can be hired. Alternatively, hire a bicycle, and take it easy exploring. Hire costs about €8 for half a day. Various excursions exist, too, including fishing trips, boat rides, submarine and Island hopping trips.
Wildlife enthusiasts may wish to visit in turtle season. A brand new ferry service now operates between islands.
The beach is less than a five minutes’ walk away. The beautiful sandy beaches are reminiscent of those in the Caribbean or the Bahamas islands. Cape Verde is just south of the Canaries, with a Brazilian/Portuguese/African mix. A steady 10 minute walk in either direction will bring you to a beach - in one direction a soft, powder sand beach for sun bathing and swimming, in the other a coarser beach for watching wind and sand surfing. 15 minute walk away is Santa Maria's soft, white sandy beaches.
Sal's airport is 10-15 minutes away by taxi. Car hire is not needed as the area around the resort is level and easily accessible on foot or by bicycle. Taxis are readily available and inexpensive. However, if you wish to arrange car hire Guest Services can arrange this for you.
The nearest town is Santa Maria, a leisurely and level 20 minute walk away or 3 minutes by taxi,where there are plenty of restaurants and bars/clubs, beautiful beaches you can swim, surf; arrange excursions like diving, quad bikes, submarine, deep sea fishing.
Tortuga offers excellent bars, including a piano bar, a late bar, spacious classy restaurants to cater all tastes, spas, massage areas, All available to villa guests. If you hire a vehicle you can drive around the island easily in a day
The Cape Verde islands are paradise found, marooned in the Atlantic Ocean a little over 5 hours flying time from the UK. There are 10 very different islands with an excellent inter-island airline for those who'd like to stay a little longer than usual and do some island hopping. The beaches and climate mirror the Caribbean, but without the jet lag (there is only a 1 hour time difference) and no hurricane season. Sal is the most cosmopolitan island, dotted with small colourful towns, such as Santa Maria. Cobbled streets are lined with surf shops; painted shops, white churches, small and intimate restaurants, bars and clubs and amazing beaches flanking the turquoise sea. The temperature rarely dips below 25 degrees, so no need to worry about whether it will be warm enough, and the rainy season is usually a day in August! The locals are friendly and although their national language is a mixture of Portuguese and Creole, most speak enough English to make themselves understood. This is a laid back, chilled out place, where their mantra is "No Stress". It doesn't get much better than sitting in the sun, watching the local fisherman bring in their daily catch or some breathtaking surfing, with an ice-cold beer or fabulous cappuccino in hand..................wish you were here? There are many shops which sell food and drinks. Baileys and Ocean Café bars are popular among many European nationalities, have excellent food, showing all the latest live Sky sports. Great beach bars along the promenade. In August 2012 Tortuga's beach bar, has been voted as being in the top 50 Beach bars in the WORLD.
There are many more excellent bar restaurants, ATM's plentiful. Eating out varies from Local to British, definitely some superb Italian to plentiful fish restaurants, serving fresh fish daily.
Sal's tourist nationalities are typically friendly locals, British, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Scandinavian.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
£200/ €250 refundable deposit is required to hold the apartment whilst you secure flights, once flights are booked this becomes a firm deposit. Full payment is required 12 weeks prior to travel and is then non-refundable. Bookings of at least 1 week are taken usually with at least 4 weeks prior notice, although late bookings are possible.
Due to flights coming in daily from all over the World, we are completely flexible with what day you wish to arrive and leave.
Notes on prices:
Keys must be returned via post or to their collection point. The deposit will be refunded in full once the property has been checked/ itinerary closed over, and guests contact us on their arrival back home...either in GBP or Euro. Please note the apartment rate per week assumes 4 occupants, if there are more than 4 guests please add £50 per week to the rate to cover the cost of additional linen, towels and bedding.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The apartment is very well equipped and feels like a real home from home. Air conditioning is a blessing although there is usually a lovely breeze from the ocean and we enjoy sleeping with the window open instead. We travelled to Cape Verde many times whilst waiting for our apartment to be finished, and found that the standard of some of the local accommodation was very basic and left a lot to be desired. Vila Verde has been built to the more exacting European standards and so not only are the finish and furnishings far superior to elsewhere, but there are lifts, sprinklers, fire alarms, safety rails where needed, etc. The resort is ideally placed close to Santa Maria, but also in a peaceful location.”
- Air Conditioning
- Internet ...
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair accessible ...
- near the sea
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
- whale watching
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- pier fishing
- bay fishing
- surf fishing
- water skiing
- water tubing
- 1012 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom for bedroom one includes WC, bidet, bath/shower, wash-hand basin. Apartment also has separate shower room with WC, shower, wash-hand basin.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom One - Spacious double bedroom with en-suite bathroom - includes king-sized bed, two bedside cabinets, built-in wardrobes with safe, bidet, bath/shower, wash-hand basin. dressing table and mirror. Bedroom Two with two 3' beds convertible to 6'
- Notes on accommodation: The villa is airy, bright and open plan. It has a large open plan kitchen, dining area, and lounge. Welcome food and/or cleaning packs available at additional cost on request. Baby sitting available on request. Baby cots and high chairs available on request. Bike hire and car hire available on site - Santa Maria is very flat and a joy to cycle around. In the event of routine maintenance being carried out in our apartment, you will be accommodated in an identical or upgraded apartment on the Vila Verde complex. This ensures that guests are never inconvenienced by any necessary works. Taxis are inexpensive and plentiful, averaging €3 per trip into Santa Maria town. Car hire most people tend not to choose, as most activity lays South Island Sal. Outside: Melaleuca is served by a large adult’s pool, smaller children’s pool, Cushioned terrace loungers, a children’s playground and a snack bar. Two minutes’ walk away there is a football pitch and tennis courts. Villa Verde is a new resort and so there are bars, shops, banks and other facilities opening each month. The nearest mini market is 30sec walk away located in the main square of Vila Verde Resort, called ' Falmers' and there are many more shops and supermarkets in Santa Maria. The resort is fully managed and has 24hr CCTV and security patrols at all times to ensure there are no unauthorized visitors. Taxis are available within a 2 minute walk of the apartment from reception and a shuttle bus service runs to Santa Maria & Ponta Preta beach. Guest services are located by reception. The beach extends for around 7 miles; you can join it from the Vila Verde resort. Sal's climate averages around 25-30c daytime, with pleasant soothing breezes. Generally no less than 16c in the evenings. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: A midweek maid service is included for stays of over 7 days; however, a more frequent service is available on request. Bedding and towels are included for the first 2 guests. Please bring your own beach towels and cot bedding if you wish to hire a cot.