A beautiful and private escape in the rolling hills of Umbria with 4 double ensuite bedrooms, marble bathrooms with claw-footed baths and luxury kitchen
This stunning Umbrian farmhouse is a much loved second home, not a sterile rental property - so it will be a home from home for you for the duration of your Italian holiday, whether with friends or family. It has everything that you need to make your stay wonderful, a terrace for al fresco eating (marble table seats 12), large flat grassed garden with flower beds and plenty of chairs and hammocks for lazy afternoons, a large wood BBQ for grilling your steak and views to die for whilst you sip your prosecco and watch the fireflies in the evening. There are toys for the children and books for the grown ups. Family cricket on the big field and splendid evenings under the wisteria clad terrace. There are wellies and mackintoshes in the hall for the occasional rain days, and hammocks slung between the trees for the many hot lazy August afternoons with a good book (lots provided) and a glass of something nice. As the sun slips away and you sip your first cold prosecco of the evening the fields in front of the terrace are alive with wild deer and the occasional boar. There are lizards on the walls and butterflies in the lavender, nightingales in the trees and hoopoes on the lawn. There is wifi if needed, but you'll probably want to get away from it all and escape into the privacy that 30 acres of olive groves and woodland that surround the house, or nip up to the hotel on the hill for a swim (included in the price). You can easily go and visit the sites (Citta di Castello 10 minutes, Arezzo 25 minutes, Perugia 40 minutes, Assisi 45 minutes, Florence 90 minutes) for art and culture but you may just want to lounge under the trees instead and soak up the view and relax - isn't that what holiday are all about? For those of you feeling energetic, there are mountain bikes, golf down the road (2km), riding (dressage, jumping or endurance) on request, or you can walk or jog wherever you fancy. Have a lok at the pictures to see the state of the art kitchen, luxury bathrooms with claw-footed baths and antiques furniture. Welcome to your home from home in Umbria.
About the Owner
About Martin Pugsley
13 years ago we moved to Rome for work. We never went home. Three dogs, two cats, two horses, eight chickens, two ducks and a rabbit later - oh yes, and two children - we are still here. We bought the farmhouse 10 years ago, a wreck with scorpions in the walls and snakes wending their tireless ways through the stonework. We fell in love with the sense of timelessness, privacy, space and peace. We slowly renovated it with the intention of selling up and going home. We are still here, now working in north Italy (so you won't have the owner hanging around the place like a bad smell for your stay!). This house has been our refuge in times of crisis and solace in times of joy.
Martin Pugsley purchased this farmhouse in 2003
Why Martin Pugsley chose Umbria
We fell in love with the privacy, peace, views, space, olives, sunflowers, woodland, hills, and sense of open space. But is is definitely not remote. All amenities are easily accessible from here. The main art cities are easily enjoyed in a day trip and the surrounding hill towns are full of interesting sites.
What makes this farmhouse unique
This is our retreat. This is where we escape from the world to recharge. Our benefits: getting away from it all, being fairly uncontactable and not being disturbed. Lying up to my neck in a bubbles in a huge bath whilst soaking up the views. Fresh air, fresh figs, home grown olive oil, freedom to walk through woods and hills and not be contained by other people's walls. Frescoed churches and galleries bursting with art, ice cream parlours and village feasts are all easily accessible and when the bustling streets and the heat of the town become too much we retreat to the peace and cool of the hills.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
From the Owner
“We fell in love with the privacy, peace, views, space, olives, sunflowers, woodland, hills, and sense of open space. But is is definitely not remote. All amenities are easily accessible from here. The main art cities are easily enjoyed in a day trip and the surrounding hill towns are full of interesting sites.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
You can ride very easily there is a stables behind the house which is private and a large stables 2km away. There is a lot of good walking/running from the front door straight through the hills and mountains.
Nearest airport Perugia - 45 min.
Pisa 2.5 hr
Lerchi is the nearest village and has an excellent shop that sells everything. It is 5 minutes drive away.
Citta di Castello is the main town and is 10 km away about 15 min by car. Market Tues (farmers') Thurs and Sat.
There is a large supermarket called Conad 10 minutes drive away.
There are so many things to see and do in this part of Italy that there is not enough space to list them all. Citta di Castello (15mins) is a nice market town. Arezzo (25 mins) is an interesting Tuscan city. Florence (1.5hrs) Siena (1.5hrs) Pisa (2.5hrs) all beautiful. But then the villages next to us Lippiano, Monterchi, Citerna are beautiful too and only 10 minutes away, all have lovely restaurants and charming views and churches and ice cream.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£303|
Please email for details or call Martin Pugsley
Changeover is on Saturday arrival 16.00 departure at 10.00. We can be flexible depending on bookings
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
From the Owner
“This is our retreat. This is where we escape from the world to recharge. Our benefits: getting away from it all, being fairly uncontactable and not being disturbed. Lying up to my neck in a bubbles in a huge bath whilst soaking up the views. Fresh air, fresh figs, home grown olive oil, freedom to walk through woods and hills and not be contained by other people's walls. Frescoed churches and galleries bursting with art, ice cream parlours and village feasts are all easily accessible and when the bustling streets and the heat of the town become too much we retreat to the peace and cool of the hills.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool ...
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- winery tours
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Relax in a claw footed bath and soak up to your neck in bubbles whilst gazing out across the Umbrian hills. 3 bathrooms have baths and two basins each. Bathroom 4 only has a shower and loo.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The bedrooms are all beautiful, chandeliers lightly glimmer suffused with morning light and then again in the warm summer evenings. Mosquito nets over each bed so you can sleep with the windows wide and hear the sound of the Umbrian night.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: This is first and foremost a second home. There is everything you need, wine on the wine rack (which you are expected to drink and replenish) and spices in the kitchen. It is not sterile and empty but a living and breathing house, the odd jumper for a cool evening and a mac for rain. The sort of place where you sign the guest book and come back next year. If you want to bring Granny in a wheelchair or the dog, both are welcome. The access is flat for Granny and the dog walks are tremendous. We don't have a pool yet but there is a huge paddling pool which is fine for children. We love this farmhouse, it has been our salve in times of crisis and our place of refuge when we have been in need. Outside: There is a terrace in front of the house that looks out over the valley which is grain, sunflowers and olives, there is a garden around the house and a large children's pool to cool off in which is 5ft deep and 15ft across. There is a grill for a BBQ. There is a large field where we play family cricket and a smaller one for football. There are 30 acres to walk in and there are no boundaries between our fields and the hills of Tuscany and beyond. Nearby there is a golf course and an hotel for spas, dinner, coffee etc. There are stables directly behind the house and a large stables at the bottom of the road both of whom are very amenable to riders. Utility Room: Washing machine and huge sink. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: We provide linen. The beds are made and there are piles of towels. Extra linen in the drawers etc. There is no maid service, who wants to be disturbed on holiday? Other: Downstairs is a big open plan space, sitting room, dining room, kitchen and playroom. Children can safely play in the playroom whilst Mummy and Daddy have an aperativo.