Thatched 16 c Cottage in Slapton, Nr. Kingsbridge, South Devon, England - With Garage, Large Garden And Patio, 10 Minutes Walk From The Sea At Slapton Sands
Orchard Cottage has been our loved family retreat for 60 years. Whilst an old atmospheric thatched cottage facilities have recently been upgraded. A perfect place to escape from the pace and pressure of today's world. Deliberately there is no television or telephone but there is a liberal supply of books and traditional games with a good sound system with CD player and radio and a projector and DVD player. Part of the unique magic of a holiday at Orchard Cottage is to revitalise the arts of conversation, reading and games. The garden is a 'sun trap' and perfect for quiet sunbathing; there is a table tennis table which may be erected in the garden or garage.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Teaching Art in London at a Theatre Art School I cannot be in Slapton all the time. I look back at the happy times swimming at Slapton and all the other lovely beaches and coves nearby, dingy sailing at Salcombe, walking and riding in the exquisite countryside and am so pleased that neither my childhood nor that of my children was dominated by television. I believe that a direct consequence of the television free zone of our childhood time at Orchard Cottage was the development of our imaginations, a penchant for reading and a tendancy for lively family discussions. My family and friends have adored spending considerable time at the cottage over the past fifty six years. It is a place full of happy memories and somewhere we all look forward to coming to throughout the year.
4 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
We were very pleased with Orchard Cottage. Everything was just as the photos suggested and we were extremely pleased with the high maintenance of this property and the standard of the kitchen and bathrooms. We wanted 'oldey-worldey' features and were not disappointed. The en-suite bedroom was beautiful, with a high beamed open ceiling and the other rooms were delightful. It was spotless inside and well cared for. The garden was private and enclosed and grandparents, parents and children spent a lot of time in it when we weren't at the beach. We had two cars to keep in the garage and it was manageable, reversing in each day. There is very little parking available in Slapton. It is definitely worth walking round. The owner was fantastic. She welcomed us, showed us how everything worked and gave us suggestions of things to do and see. When we had Wi-Fi problems she was very keen to sort it out for us. Even though there is a beach within walking distance of the cottage, we went to Blackpool Sands most days as there was more to do with our children and the beach was more sandy. The area of South Hams was stunning. We had never been to South Devon but now really recommend it.
Activity and Interests
Slapton Sands is 10 minutes walk or 2 minutes drive away. The beach is a three mile stretch of clean shingle/sand. During the summer lifeguards patrol the sections by the middle car park and at Torcross (the southern end)
There are numerous other lovely beaches and coves nearby from 5 to 40 minutes' drive away to cater for toddlers, divers, cliff walkers, surfers, sunbathers and most water sports. A good number of beaches have cafes, pubs, beach bars and restaurants.
The cottage is one hour's drive from either Exeter or Plymouth. From either take the A38 signposted to the other and turn off onto the A384 at Buckfastleigh and drive to Totnes. At Totnes turn right onto the A381 (signposted Kingsbridge) and after 6 miles turn left onto a lane signposted 'Slapton'. It takes about 30 minutes driving from the A38
A 3 hour train service runs from London Paddington to Totnes
Although there is limited public transport a car is needed to fully enjoy the area.
Kingsbridge and picturesque Dartmouth are both 9 miles away. Totnes is a little further at 12 miles and the famous sailing town of Salcombe is 15 miles
Slapton has two pubs which provide lunch and evening meals and a village shop all within some 3 minutes walk.
Kingsbridge has a selection of banks, Tesco and Morrision and a wide range of shops
Dartmouth has a selection of banks, Sainsbury's and Lidl and a wide range of shops, in particular fashion and art. There are also a number of well known restaurants
Totnes has a selection of banks, Morrison and a wide range of shops and the steam railway to Buckfastleigh and river trips on the Dart
Salcombe has a selection of shops and the town is mostly concerned with sailing activities. Boats may be hired and sailing lessons arranged and there is a selection of restaurants
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Orchard Cottage is available for hire for holidays for periods in multiples of one week from 4:00pm on Saturday to 10:00am on the following Saturday.
One half of the cost is payable immediately on booking as a non-refundable deposit and the balance is payable 4 weeks before the commencement of the holiday.
A refundable deposit of £200 against damage is payable with the second payment.
For terms and conditions please see Terms page of owner's website at www.orchardslapton.co.uk/terms.htm
Changeover day is Saturday and you should arrive after 4:00pm and leave before 10:00am
Notes on prices:
There is no extra charge for electricity or for WiFi
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player ...
- Music Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- naturist beach
- bird watching
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En suite with bedroom 1
- En-suite shower and wc in bedroom 1 Family bathroom with long bath by bedroom 4 Shower room with wc Please note both showers are equipped with thermostatic mixer valves and the shower room is equipped with an additional 'instant shower'
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, En suite shower and WC
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, vaulted ceiling and ensuite shower and wc bedroom 2 with two twin beds bedroom 3 with two twin beds bedroom 4 with double bed
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Use of wifi is by arrangement to provide the security code. The village has just been connected to Fibre broadband but the speeds are as yet unknown. Parking in the village is difficult in the summer and the garage is such a great bonus but do beware of the height limit The Rayburn should not be used in the summer but electric radiators and extra fan heaters are available if needed Mobile telephone signals are variable but a Vodafone signal can be reached by standing near the front windows to the cottage or by the windows in the family bathroom or Bedroom 4 above the garage. There is a telephone box opposite the cottage. I am sorry but we do allow any dogs or pets Outside: There is a large garden laid to lawn and a large patio that can be used for al fresco dining or parking extra cars. There is a traditional picnic table and a teak dining table which will seat 10 with sufficient garden chairs Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Duvets, extra blankets and bedlinen are provided but please bring your own towels Other: The garage can handle two cars although the rear of one might have to extend into the garden. The maximum height at the entrance to the garage is 76 inches and if your vehicle has a long wheelbase the effective maximum height may well be less