Cottage in Penmaen, Gower Peninsula, Wales - Peaceful Location In The Heart Of A Working Farm, Boasting Panoramic Views Of The Countryside
The Old Mill Cottage is a converted corn mill finished to a high standard. Sitting approx 1.2miles from the main road this cottage really is in the middle of the countryside. The only engine your likely to here is the farmers tractor, all other noise belongs to birds singing or farm animals calling. The farm has cattle, sheep, geese and chickens so plenty to see and do. The Old Mill has two gardens one of which is private which includes BBQ area, also ample parking for numerous cars. Little Walterstone farm sits in the middle of Cefn Bryn (common land) so is perfect for those who enjoy walking, mounting biking, bird watching, horse riding (Cefn Bryn is on the bridle path, you can bring your horse, no stables available however we can offer grazing in a private field backing onto the Cottage) or just exploring the beauty of the Gower Peninsula. Little Walterstone Farm is only 1.5miles from the nearest beach, 2miles from a choice of two local pubs and 2miles from the local shop.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Here at Little Walterstone Farm we have 98 acres concentrating on sheep and cattle. We converted The Old Corn Mill into this holiday cottage in 2012 to share the beauty of the countyside. The owner of the farm is Newton Woollacott aged 68 and still working hard! However with the trials and tribulations that come with running a working farm he has to have help. Which is where i come in, my name is James Tregoning i'm 33 and married to Jade and we have a two young sons. I've been on the farm since i was 6 and worked the farm for well over 18 years. In that time together Newton and I have promoted the farm no end! 3 large new barns, stone walls that could rival Hadrian and of course we built the Old Mill cottage. Newton has asked me to manage the cottage on his behalf.
Guestbook comments from the manager
Beautiful location and perfect cottage for a relaxing holiday, each beach was unique and the epweather was suburb, loved the 'chicken company' each morning and evening along with visits from 'meg' the pup, thanks very much for the delicious veggies,
4.6 based on 22 holidaymaker reviews
comfortable, friendly, remote getaway in beautiful scenery
Great welcome by James, wonderful to stay on a working farm with the animals up very close and personal. The barn conversion is a very comfortable stay for 4 people. It was a great base to explore the gower and the magnificent three cliff bay - so beautiful - the walk down from Nicholaston farm, through the woods, across the dunes and onto the beach, walk the length of the beach to the hotel cafe - a must.
We have just arrived back from a wonderful stay at The Old Mill Cottage, a big thank you to Jade and James for their hospitality and being such lovely hosts! The cottage was beautiful. Clean, cosy and comfortable for our young family. The Gower is a stunning part of the world, definitely worth a visit and the cottage is the perfect base to explore every hilltop, valley and beach! Highly recommended. Don't be put off by any comments regarding the bumpy lane leading up to the farm, James works very hard to maintain it and we think he does a great job, it wasn't as difficult to navigate as we had imagined and the bumps even rocked our baby sleep on a couple of occasions! Thanks again guys we hope to be back! Thanks again for the delicious vegetables and fresh eggs - just lovely.
Wonderful holiday 😀
Excellent cottage and location with everything we wanted. Lovely hosts and thank you for the lovely eggs and vegetables. The best we've ever tasted.
great location comfortable cottage
Great location near to lots of beautiful beaches. Very quiet and remote location which we loved too. Cottage clean cosy and comfortable. Owners very helpful and friendly and gave us fresh eggs and veg which were delicious and a real treat !
Clean and well presented
Easy access to beautiful coast line friendly and helpful hosts
Lovely cottage, beautiful part of the world, great hospitality from James and family- fantastic holiday!!!
The cottage is perfectly located for some great walks, amazing views and beautiful beaches. On a working farm there is always a furry, woolly or feathery friend to entertain and the silence is truly relaxing.
On a practical note- the cottage is equipped with everything you could need, is clean and incredibly comfortable.
Thank you and we hope to return
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
For those people who are looking for a holiday with bird watching, walking, horse riding, cycling, surfing, painting and fishing then The Old Mill on Little Walterstone Cottage is the perfect place for you. Everything listed can be obtained right on the cottage doorstep ( fishing and surfing would require a 25 minute walk or 10 minute drive ).
The Gower Peninsula has numerous amounts of award winning beaches dotted around, since it was awarded the first area of outstanding natural beauty in Britain it has become a Mecca for those who love sand, sea and surf. The nearest beach to The Old Mill is 1.5mile walk to Nicholston beach or 2mile walk to 3 cliffs bay ( recently picked Britains favourite view by Cathrine Jenkins ). If you drive you have the option to go to any of Gowers beaches as Penmaen is very central.
We recommend you hire a car or bring your own as we are 1.2 miles from the road. Swansea has an airport but our nearest commercial airport is in Cardiff approx 55 miles away
The coast is a 1.5 mile walk over countryside and the nearest pubs are a 2.5mile walk in either direction or 15 minute drive. Our nearest amenities shop is also about a 15 minute drive.
We advise doing your food shop before you arrive as the nearest supermarket is a 30 minute drive, however remember not to buy eggs as your on a working farm! Plus play your cards right and the very generous farmer may make his vegetables available from his extensive vegetable plot. The nearest bank is again a 30 minute drive and there are plenty of restaurants in and about the Gower.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Sep 2016 - 17 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
18 Dec 2016 - 7 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
8 Jan 2017 - 11 Mar 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
When placing a booking please note we require a non-refundable deposit of 50% within 7 working days of booking and remainder of full amount 6 weeks prior to the start date of your holiday. If booking is within 6 weeks of start date of holiday we require payment in full. We accept well behaved dogs at a charge of £3 per night per dog.
Our changeover day at The Old Mill is on a Friday arriving from 4pm to departing the following Friday at 10am. These days and times may be flexible if possible for us, just ask.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- children welcome
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair accessible
- near the sea
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- mountain biking
- bay fishing
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- En-Suite bathroom to master bedroom includes basin, WC, shower and heated towel rail. Ground floor bathroom includes Basin, WC, shower and also heated towel rail.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Spacious master bedroom comprising double bed, double wardrobe, large chest of drawers, two bedside tables, double sofa and ensuite with shower. Ground floor bedroom with double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and bed side table. Bathroom just next door.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Please remember The Old Mill is situated on a working farm, so everyone is expected to behave responsibly around machinery and animals. Please also note that there is no place like the Gower when the sun is shining however we are susceptible to the odd shower, when this occurs the countryside and farm can quickly turn very muddy, so don't forget your Wellys and rain coats. The area around the cottage and parking is gravelled. Outside: Outside The Old Mill we have two lawned gardens, one is large backing up to the cattle yard with a high wooden fence giving you privacy and offering you a BBQ area with Garden table and plenty of chairs. The other elevated garden pokes out onto the farm yard giving you centre stage for the comings and goings of the farm. One day you could see the farm machinery coming through or a gaggle of geese honking there way past. Another day a flock of sheep may be rounded up and brought up for shearing. Everyday there a plenty of chickens to admire and feed if you want. Utility Room: The Old Mill doesn't have a utility room however if you need access to a washing machine and tumble dryer the farm house is at hand. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The Old Mill provides both beds made up and four towels on arrival. We do not replace towels or linen for the remainder of your stay. There is no maid service as the cottage is self catering and the property is cleaned before and after every guest. Other: The Old Mill has Four entrances to the building, the lounge and both bedrooms have private entrances, the main entrance leading into downstairs corridor has area for coats and shoes plus muddy Welly rack.