Farmhouse in Monchique, Western Algarve, Portugal - Portela Do Alqueive A Small Private Paradise
The typical Portugese mountain farmhouse is set in a secluded location with breathtaking views of the Serra de Monchique, but is yet within easy reach of all the touristy attractions as beaches, golf courses and shopping centres. The house has an area of 155m2 has been reconstructed to the highest standards for full time occupation. This will give you the feeling of arriving ‘home’ and the comfort you need during your well deserved holiday from the moment you step into the door. The property is 28.000m2 in size, of which approximately 50% is on terraced land with a wide variety of fruit trees and flower gardens. Depending on the season, you’ll find yourself picking passion fruit, grapes, oranges or figs to complement your breakfast. Fresh lemons for in your cup of tea or for on your freshly grilled fish you’ll find on the trees all year round.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
We have built the house from an abandoned ruin up to the high standard it is now. Primary aim was to build our dream house, but family circumstances made us move out of the country, leaving behind this personal paradise. We now offer the house for rental, giving you the opportunity to experience being close to nature and meantime enjoying a high standard of living or holiday making.
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
We had a wonderful two weeks at this place. The view is indeed breathtaking and we enjoyed the silence, the stars in the night and everything luxuous in the house. Great price for this kind of stay!
We should have booked for longer - this is a magical place set high in the hills, with soft mountain air and peace and quiet. You only hear a car once or twice a day - just the birds and particularly owls at night.
As a family of four (children 18 and 14) we were able to totally relax. The house is well equipped with everything you could need. we particularly loved having a kitchen equipped for people who cook.
Everyone was really helpful and friendly to deal with. We are already planning a trip back - for longer next time.
Thanks to Martina Edses we had wonderful days in Portugal! The house was perfect and everything went well without any problem. Also, the neighbors were very friendly and helpful. The house is well equipped, generous and clean. There was really nothing we have missed. The house is located in the mountain area around Monchique with only very few people living in this region. As a consequence, the place is absolutely silent, peaceful, and restful. The view at the level and the mountain valleys is fantastic, particularly at sunset. No doubt that the starry sky at night is mystical. In summary, this magic place has nothing to do with overcrowded beaches, noisy streets and bustling modern hotel landscapes – the perfect place to relax. Nevertheless, with a rented car we had no problem to easily reach all the beautiful places in the Algarve within an hour or less.
Again, we have very much enjoyed staying in this house. We are really grateful that we got the opportunity to spend our holidays here. Of course, we plan to come back.
From the Owner
“Unspoiled nature until the horizon and beyond. The sunrises & sunsets (we must have hundreds of pictures to proof this as they always appear to be prettier than the last one!)”
Activity and Interests
In just over a half an hour drive, you will reach the beaches on the busy tourist South coast or the serene rough West coast suitable for kite or wave surfing and paragliding.
Faro airport is on a 1 hour drive. A rental car is a necessity and fly & drive packages are available on the various airline/ tour operator websites.
Faro Airport 95 kms
Tunes Train station (to Lisbon) 45 kms
Portimao 35 kms
Lagos 35 kms
The location is perfectly suitable for birdwatching as there are no disturbing influences from nearby industry or urban areas. During the night you will often be surprised with the serenade of a nightingale. Other remarkable species around are: eagles, buzzards, woodpeckers, tits & warblers.
The Via Algarviana walking trail passes nearby. Via Algarviana is a Great Pedestrian Route (GR13) which connects Alcoutim to Cabo de São Vicente, with a length of 300km, mostly installed in the Algarve mountain . It is intended that became part of the Trans-European routes, linking to the E4 and E9.
Monchique is a 10 minute drive away with a daily market for fresh vegetables and fish for on the barbecue. During the year there are various markets & festivals in the small mountain town ranging from ‘Feira de Enchidos’ (sausage festival) to ‘Feira de Artesenato’ (local products festival).
In Monchique all services as post-office, banks, supermarkets & medical help are available.
Foia is the highest mountain of the Algarve, which with its 907mtrs altitude provides stunning views all around the Algarve & Alentejo. The road leading up there offers numerous traditional Algarvian restaurants to taste the local produce.
Numerous riding centres can be found for the horse riders.
The newly constructed Autódromo Internacional do Algarve (Formula 1 racetrack) is on a 20 min drive away providing the opportunity to step behind the wheel of a real racing car or a go-cart.
- Booking Notes:
25% deposit due upon booking. Balance to be paid latest 6 weeks before arrival date. All payments are non-refundable.
As we appreciate that the rental periods go hand in hand with your flight options and holiday wishes, we are flexible in the minimum amount of nights and the change-over day, we adapt to the requests of our clients – not the other way around!
Notes on prices:
1 Apr 2015 – 30 June 2015 €550/week (€80/night)
1 July 2015 – 15 Sept 2015 €650/week (€100/night)
16 Sept 2015 – 31 Mar 2016 €550/week (€80/night)
From 2nd week on a 10% discount will count over every additional week with a maximum up to 50%!
Week 1 – Full price
Week2 – 10% discount on additional week
Week 6 & more – 50% discount on additional week(s)
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Pure luxury in pure nature. Some shopping & your suitcase are the only things you need to feel at home from the moment you step inside. ('Turnkey' and 'Plug&Play' come to mind!)”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- roller blading
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- (Master) Bathroom with large (bubble) bath, walk-in shower, toilet & bidet (Guest) Bathroom with Shower corner & toilet.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: (Master)Bedroom 1 with a double bed (& Baby cod on request) (Guest)Bedroom 2 with a double bed and a single bed
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: From the property you can see the sunsets into the Atlantic Ocean and the nights are of an astonishing beauty – ‘romantic’ is an understatement. The sunrises will fill you with all the positive energy needed for another day of exploring the Algarve or simply enjoying the tranquillity on your ‘own’ piece of Portugal. Clean towels, linen and a ‘Welcome package’ will make you’re arrival as easy as can be, the only thing you need to do is put down your luggage and open that fine bottle of ‘Vino Verde’ which is waiting for you in the fridge. For the off-season a high efficiency woodfire in the living room. Underfloor (water) heating throughout the whole house, heated by solar panels/ gas. Fire wood/ gas bottles can be arranged on request @ cost price. Child friendly, toys/cot available. Children's swing next to the house. Outside: Barbecue, sunbeds, tables/ chairs, parasol. No swimming pool available but a large water tank will suffice for refreshing during hot days. Large public swimming pool available in Monchique (free entrance) Utility Room: Washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Clean bedlinen, (tea)towels upon arrival. Maid service not standard, but can be arranged. Other: Dining corner: Large solid pine table sufficiently large to seat 8. Baby chair.