Villa in Mosciano Sant Angelo, Abruzzo, Italy - Peaceful Location, Just 10 Minutes Drive From The Genteel Beaches Of Giulianova's Sandy Coastline
Villa Calgiano is a unique country house with private pool and open views across the valleys towards hilltop towns and the majestic Gransasso mountain range. The villa is set within its own surrounding farm land, accessed by a small country lane, but being just ten minutes drive from the sandy beaches, bars and beachfront restaurants, it is ideally situated for either beach, pool, mountain or country pass times. The 6 bedroom villa is modern light and spacious and designed over 3 floors, with a sun terrace created on each level to enjoy the different aspects from its elevated location. The covered loggia on ground and first floors provide a shaded walkway that keeps the living area and bedrooms cool. Wifi is available, with reception both inside and outside on the pool terrace, along with satellite TV and a large selection of DVDs and indoor games. Nearby Mosciano provides all amenities, as well as a weekly market with local produce and porchetta vans. During July and August Mosciano and the surrounding villages host various summer festas, food nights & concerts, all just 5 minutes drive away. There is a fabulous traditional restaurant just a short stroll down the lane with fantastic food and views across Giulianova to the sea.
Top Traveller Review
Simply superb in every aspect
About the Owner
We have been coming to Abruzzo for the last 40 years, it's a beautiful, very green, and relaxed part of Italy. Our family is from this area so any questions, just ask, we know the local area well! We built the house in the 24 acre rural plot specifically to accommodate our three families, so it was purpose designed with attention to detail to work for people to share and enjoy – we've found it great for both large families or family group holidays, and grownup escapes. The villa is set within the grounds of the conserved original farm house, it has been architecturally designed with the result of modern living but with all the views and beauty of traditional rural Italy. I've over 24 years experience in providing rental properties – you can be sure of a professional service when booking Villa Calgiano. Please do take a look at the Facilities, Location and Reviews tabs for lots more info on the surrounding area and house itself!
4.8 based on 9 holidaymaker reviews
Simply superb in every aspect
Total perfection and the best place we have ever stayed by a country mile! The other reviews really sum things up completely, any we know you won't be disappointed!
Great villa for large group/families
The booking process was made very easy as Rosanna was very efficient. directions to find the property were easy to follow, and theres a couple of folders full of information on the house and the things to do/places to eat in the surrounding area which were really helpful.
The house is down a small track, all on its on, so it's very private and with 2 children it was great as noise was never an issue. Large, spacious house,which housed our 3 families easily. A few cobwebs around but reasonably clean. very well stocked with all necessary items (and more) for self catering. Lovely vegetable patch which we got all our tomatos from during our stay. We ate outside for most of our stay as the weather was beautiful, only comments would be may need a new table very soon as it feels alittle rickety and the BBQ available is very small for such a large house. The pool was lovely (if alittle cold!) and loads of inflatables/toys are available to use from the garage and pool towels galore. There is an issue with wasps around the end of the pool and the decking is now uneven so alittle dangerous on bare feet.
The views from the property beautiful and it's so peaceful.
We eat a couple of nights in the restuarant at the end of the lane, Villa
Clesia, which was lovely, and had good takeaways pizzas from alittle place in Mosciano, but the best was having Adrianna come and cook authentic locally dishes for us,simply tasty Italian food.
A car is a must as the villa is a away from the shops, beach and restuarants of Giulianova (10-15min drive) so if want things on your doorstep this is not the place for you, but if you want relaxation it's perfect.
We had a great holiday and any issue/questions we had were dealt with very quickly and efficiently. Great for large group/families in a beautiful location.
Luxury family holiday
We stayed here with another family - 9 of us in total. What an amazing holiday. The house was spacious, so the 2 families had their own space and then came together in the comfortable and roomy living areas. Great shaded seating outside for eating. The pool was like a 5 star hotel pool. In fact the whole feel of the house was 5 star luxury, yet welcoming and comfortable and very private & secure and all set in lovely well maintained grounds and amidst olive groves. It has home from home facilities such as modern kitchen, laundry facilities, TV etc. Luxurious feel to the bedrooms.
The local area is beautiful and unspoilt and nearby are the beach, restaurants & shops. All not too far to get to in a car. We did a lovely walk from the house up to the nearest town Mosciano. We flew into Pescara, which was easy to get to the house from there. And if I could sum up our stay here, I can say it felt like an real Italian, 5 star family holiday, in a grown up sophisticated house, which served all of the family so well. We will definitely be booking to come back.
Ideal in Italy...
I have been meaning to write a review for ages, but just never got around to it! Rossana was very prompt in answering all my concerns. The property and the home is beautiful, clean and very well set out for a large group, however being our first trip to Italy we were a little surprised at a couple of things that would have made our stay so much more pleasant. A car is definitely recommended as it is not walking distance to any beach or grocery store. The views of the countryside are amazing tho. The house was well presented and we were met by the lovely Chetila, who showed us around. Unfortunately we found the home way too hot in mid summer to be comfortable. The little fans on offer are just not good enough to cool down the bedrooms and we had little to no breeze, would highly recommend at least ceiling fans in all the bedrooms, if air con is not an option. The lovely open balcony off all the bedrooms is really nice, but personally I would have liked to see more daybeds, or outdoor furniture to sit and have a drinks or relax, as it seems like such a waste of beautiful space and views. The pool is beautiful but we could not use the seating area or one end of the pool due to the amount of wasps on the property. We had two people stung with another person being highly allergic. So this was a constant worry. Flies and mosquitoes were a bit of a nuisance so I would definitely recommend some kind of fogging to keep these "pests" away. I would also have expected more fridge capacity, the one fridge is certainly not enough for a large group, although there is a freezer this is not easily accessible and there are no ice trays to make ice. We were desperately finding ways to keep our drinks cool, an additional fridge with ice maker would definitely make for a more convenient stay. Even a wine fridge would have been a nice addition, as we really struggled to keep stuff cold (not frozen). I think a bigger BBQ grill would be a nice addition too. We absolutely loved the little restaurant at the top of the road - Villa Clesia, so would highly recommend going to it (more than once!). We had the privilege of having Adriana cook for us on our first night. I would highly recommend you do this, as she is an amazing cook and it was definitely the highlight of our stay! "Siesta" time truly does mean that everything closes, no option for a late lunch anywhere! Overall we enjoyed our stay at Villa Calgiano.
I asked the children where they would like to go on holiday, immediate response Calgiano. We had a wonderful time, pool as glorious as ever , views , peace, wonderful local restaurants. House and grounds immaculately maintained, thoroughly recommended !
We went to Italy for the first time and we were amazed. This was the most perfect way to learn about Italy. The surroundings were perfect as the view and the house was incredible beautifully furnished, Large, modern and privat. Our family had a wonderful time. Great restaurants very close by. Wonderful pool.
From the Owner
“This area is beautiful; its landscape is rural, rolling hills sloping softly down to the sandy beaches along the local coast line. There are few English speaking voices heard even in summer as visitors tend to be holiday makers from other regions of Italy coming for the sun, sea and R&R. There is still a lovely connection to the land as there is a lot of farming in the area. You'll find a daily market in different local towns pretty much every day of the week! Selling fresh, locally grown produce, sold by the small holders themselves. Not to mention the vans tempting freshly roasted succulent porchetta, or fried sea food stalls, both a speciality of the area! There's a local bus service to villages and sea too. Our location is served by two airports, Pescara, 35 mins & Ancona 75”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Abruzzo is the greenest region in Europe and the area is known for producing quality olive oil and wine. At Villa Calgiano, we have olive picking happening between 16th October and 11th November 2016. Guests are welcome to join in the process of picking, weighing and taking the olives to be pressed – and watch the harvest being transformed into oil, or simply come and see the process at any point along the way. Please contact us for dates. For the weeks during the olive picking season our farm manager will be resident in the annex apartment building within the grounds of Villa Calgiano. He is fluent in both English and Italian and has a great local knowledge of the area.
In Abruzzo with its 130km of coastline, Villa Calgiano is just 7km to the beautiful stretch of deep sandy beaches at genteel Giulianova. Along her 4.5kms stretch of uninterrupted beaches, you will find the many beach bars and beachfront restaurants where you can hire umbrellas, relax under coconut palm ombrelloni, or snooze beneath canopied beds. Promenade the sandy waterfront with the locals, or set up for the day on one of the free beaches that are offered.
2.5k to motorway exit/access
36km Pescara airport and 35 minutes drive straight down the A14 costal motorway.
Ancona airport is 75 minutes directly north, straight up the A14
Car hire is recommended at either airport
A car is essential
7km to Giulianova train station, providing a good service along the coast north to Venice and south to Bari and more. Rome (2.5 hrs by car) by coach from the same station. Coach tours also depart here
Pescara Port also provides transport to Tremiti Islands
2 km from the local hill town, Mosciano Sant Angelo and 5 minutes by car. Or on foot across the valley, 20 minutes via a rugged and quite steep olive and tree lined country track (a great workout!)
500m to superb traditional restaurant
8km to a great water park
5km to Golf
5km to horse riding
7km to Giulianova Lido, port and shops
5.5km to Giulianova Paese (historic centre)
2km to bank, post-office etc
36km to skiing
An arrival shopping service is available for those guests arriving late evening: Includes; Locally cured prosciutto, eggs, local bread, butter, conserve, cereals, milk, tea, Italian coffee and our home produced olive oil. Please request on booking.
From the terraces and deck, you are greeted each morning, by the beautiful Apennine mountains, it is hard to ignore the beauty of the Gran Sasso mountain peak. These plains and foothills of the Apennines are within easy reach for cooler summer walks and picnics. This is a beautiful place to view the panorama of the mountain ranges both north and south, or venture to the summit of the Gransasso herself. Near or far, there is so much on offer in the local area...
Golf, (driving range)
National Park of Gransasso,
Beach Volley Ball
Evening entertainment; music, theatre, art and fireworks at the many local village and town festas (through July and August).
RESTAURANTS: some within a 5 minute stroll, others a 12 minute walk to the local hill town and more still within a 10 minutes drive.
Beachfront, eat while the kids play in the sand at L'Arlecchino, or late night clubbing.
Local fish restaurants, near the port, fantastic authentic local menu
Pizzas, wood oven and fish speciality, great views
PLACES OF INTEREST
Visit this area with the local excursions, enjoy the museums, wander historic towns and discover places of interest.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Christmas and New Year
17 Dec 2016 - 8 Jan 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
3 Mar 2017 - 19 May 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Late spring early summer
20 May 2017 - 9 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
10 Jun 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
July - August 2017
1 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
Cancellation policy; cancellation 8 wks prior to arrival: 50% refund of total cost of stay. No refund thereafter
Please note: The minimum summer rental period is 7 days unless by special arrangement. Christmas and New Year bookings incur a winter fuel charge at £280 for a minimum stay.
Weekly changeover day: Friday, saturday or Sunday, arrival after 3.30pm, departure before 10am. Please feel free to approach us if you'd like an alternative arrival day, we'll be happy to accommodate if possible.
Standard night pricing is for Luxury B&B: from 1-4 nights June, July & August. £80pp
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Large and airy accommodation, it was designed to accommodate our two families so Villa Calgiano ideal for large families or shared holidays Enjoy the privacy, set atop a small hill within 24 acres of private land. Relax on the ample sun terraces and sun traps, or cool covered walkways and loggia. Connect to Wifi indoors or out. Feast on the open views across to the stunning Gransasso mountain range. From the open-sided dining room or pool deck, soak up the evening vista of spectacularly lit hill town of Mosciano. Take a four minute walk down the lane to a lovely traditional restaurant. Or stay poolside and enjoy alfresco dining with views south down the valley. Private pool. 10 mins from the beaches. 5 mins from the amenities of local hill town. 8 minutes from the main motorway junction 40 minutes to ski or hike on the Gran Sasso. Easy access ground floor bedroom and family bathroom.”
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Satellite / Cable
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Private Chef
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- jet skiing
- mountain climbing
- ski lift pass
- ski pass optional
- 55 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bidet, Glass screen on shower over bath
- All bathrooms on the first floor are en suite, with shower, large basin, toilet and bidet. Family bathrooms on the ground and 2nd floor, both have baths with glass screened shower over the bath. All 5 bathrooms have modern white suites, chrome fittings & neutral, cool tiling on floors and walls
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, Full ensuite. Ample hanging space. Door onto shaded walk way
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed, Full ensuite. Ample hanging space. Door onto shaded walk way
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, Full ensuite. Ample hanging space. Door onto shaded walk way
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, Family bathroom with bedroom 4, roof terrace.
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Large Double Bed, 2 Sofa bed/Futon, v large room, shares landing with bedroom5, own roof terrace
- Bedroom 6 - 2 Single Bed, Ample hanging and storage, family bathroom, ground floor
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (6 Bedrooms) plus 1x cot Notes on bedrooms: 1st floor: Bedroom 1 with kingsize double bed. Bedroom 2 with kingsize double bed. Bedroom 3 with twin beds. 2nd floor; Bedroom 4 with kingsize double bed. Bedroom 5 with twin beds, +2 twin beds for either room 4 or 5. Ground flr; bedroom 6 with twin beds.
- Boat ...
- Terrace ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Veranda ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
- Private cook: We have wonderful Adriana who enjoys cooking for you. If you would like a meal prepared for the evening of your arrival Adriana will shop, prepare and serve a typical Abrusese meal for you. Cleaning / Maid service: Included is all bed linen, bath towel sets, pool & beach towels. For your convenience maid service is at end of tenancy, however a midweek service is available on request when booking. The pool is attended to and cleaned on two to three occasions during your stay Luxury Bed & Breakfast is offered at £85 per person per night, between 6th June and 31st August. Guests are welcome to use the pool, enjoy free Wifi, and help themselves to the fruits from the various trees in season around the grounds. Please make enquiries via the form at the bottom of this page, as availability dates for B&B cannot be indicated on the availability calendar. Thank you Villa Calgiano was designed for our three families to share, so it is ideally suited to large families and family group holidays. The original old farm house with its traditional outside steps & old tiled roof sits within the grounds. Curving around a central lawn and pool, the traditional architecture sweeps around in a horseshoe to the postmodern annex and outside pool showers. The private pool is open between 20th May and 3rd September 2016. At all other times the pool is fitted with a secure safety cover. Life in summer at villa Calgiano is designed to take full appreciation of the gorgeous views and peaceful private location. The garden surrounds the house itself. There's a pool terrace leading from the dining room, and down to the pool deck. To the left, a covered archway providing spacious, cool al fresco eating space. From the kitchen is another small covered terrace providing the perfect early sunny morning, tea drinking spot! From the alfresco dining terrace are steps up to the 1st floor roof terrace, with views to the south, east and north. Up to the roof terrace on the 2nd floor to enjoy the peace and quiet away from the pool to gaze at the countryside to the west and north. A central lawn with shady tree. BBQ area on the other side of the lawn next to the old farm house for use of the traditional BBQ and Abruzzese Spiedini BBQ. Here there is also a basket ball hoop and plenty of space to enjoy an evening meal. The 12m x 4m pool is for your private use (not artificially heated). 4 outdoor dining tables, 8 full length bench seating, 1 small table and 2 chairs, 5 pool loungers, 8 mattress foams.