Farmhouse in Larbey, Chalosse, Landes, Aquitaine, France
Le Moulie is a typical farmhouse in the South West of France, transformed by us into a comfortably furnished 3 bedroomed house. Le Moulie is situated in the village of Larbey in the Chalosse, which is in the hilly part of the Landes. We are an hour from the coast and an hour from the Pyrenees, approximately 56 kms from Pau, and 100 kms from Biarritz. Lourdes/Tarbes Airport is about 100km east of the property. and Bordeaux is approximately 150 kms to the north west. All three of these towns have airports enabling easy access. Le Moulie is available to let by arrangement at all times of the year.
About the Owner
Judith and Adrian have a house in London and our house here in Larbey provides a wonderful contrast. Peace and quiet, beautiful countryside and a good climate.
This area is a centre for all things duck - foie gras etc and Bordeaux is not far away and the wines are excellent
We have friendly helpful neighbours
We are Francophiles and Judith had a Lycee education as did her children.
We have had fun over the years furnishing the house with french furniture, although our french friends thinks it looks quite english!
From the Owner
“While there is complete peace and quiet Dax and Mont de Marsan are both about 30 kms away where the shopping is very good St. Paul les Dax is a spa town . The Caliceo in St. Paul has mud baths and hot springs. There is a marvellous supermarket called LECLERC - huge; and a shopping Mall all in one place. A garden Centre called Dubis in the complex that even if you don't want to buy plants and trees it is well worth a visit. The local markets are great fun. Very good local restaurants and occasionally for a real treat we go and have a meal at the Moulin de Poustagnac in St. Paul les Dax. Expensive but superb”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Riding School at Ous Pins at Tartas 17 km away. Lovely rides through the Landes forest.
One hour by car to the Atlantic Coast - Hossegor. Cap Breton, St. Girons and many more.
1 and a half hours to the Pyrenees.
Airoprts: Pau is 50 minutes away. Lourdes/Tarbes 90 km
Biarritz is 90 minutes away
Bordeaux is just under 2 hours away depending on traffic. Can be quicker
Brittany ferries go from Portsmouth to either Caen, St. Malo - 7 to 9 hours drive to the property
Brittany Ferry boats do either day or night
Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander in Spain with Brittany Ferries. It is 24 hours on the boat and either 2and a half or three and a half hours to the property.
It is essential to have a car.
The nearest supermarket is 7 kms in Mugron.
Open from 8am to 8pm and 9am – 1pm on Sunday. Sells Petrol.
There are good markets in Dax in the morning on a Saturday morning
ST. Sever also; Tartas on a Monday and Mont de Marsan every day.
Many others too
Situated approximately 1 hours drive away from the beach for swimming, surfing, and sunbathing. And just over an hour from the Pyrennees where there in an abundance of walking in the summer and skiing in the winter. Challenging cycling.
The region is noted for the Course Landaise which is a harmless version of bullfighting which involves cows and where the cow always wins!! This is a fascinating sport to watch and takes place every weekend at the local FETE in one village or other during summer months.
Breakfast Baguettes, Croissants and Chocolatines can be purchased from 7.30am from the Bar Chez Marcelle in Larbey at the crossroads on the way to the church – approximately 1,5km away.
In Mugron there is a very interesting shop called Rouge Garrance and a shop in the main street which sells home-prepared meals.
Baguettes, croissants and chocolatines can be purchased from 8am at the Bar chez Marcelle in Larbey at the crossroads on the way to the church. (These are made by the baker who lives at the Moulin in Larbey on the low road to Mugron) We make a regular order while we are staying.
Mugron has a lake with a sandy beach including a children’s swimming pool. It is called La Saucille and can be found descending the hill on leaving the town in the direction of Tartas.
There are several good restaurants. Our favourites are:
Aux Tauzins at Montfort - 12 kms
Chez Darracque at Le Commerce in Amou 10 kms
At Eugenie les Bains Michel Guerard the famous Chef has two restaurants -
La Ferme aux Grives and the Michelin-starred Hotel Eugenie les Bains.(30Kms)
The nearest cashpoint is at the Credit Agricole Bank in Mugron
There is a post-office too and good Patisserie and Pharmacie.
Two local doctors and a Homeopathic doctor.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£250|
|cleaning after departure||£50|
Please contact owner.
By arrangement with owner.
by arrangement with us the owners
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“a big garden of about 2 acres including a lovely tennis court and a heated infinity salt water swimming pool. other sporting amenities are a ping pong table, badminton, baby foot, and a croquet set, which hasnt been used for a while but very available. there is the Plancha which is electric hot plates. exactly like a BBC and is on wheels so can be sited outside where there are plugs to choose from”
- Air Conditioning
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 1 bathroom en suite for master bedroom; 1 bathroom for two bedrooms upstairs. Both bathrooms have bath WC and separate shower. Downstairs WC. Bathroom in garden house.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Le Moulie has 4 bedrooms and double sofa bed in the ground floor office. 3 double bedrooms and one with bunk beds. There is air-conditioning in the bedrooms. A travel cot is available, The garden house also has an additional double bed and bathroom.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Please see photos of living rooms and bedrooms. Pets may be acceptable. Discuss with owner. Outside: There is a large garden of about 2 acres with a heated salt-water infinity swimming pool. There are sun-loungers. Luis comes once a month to check the pool. Tennis court. There are racquets and balls. Chidren's swing near tennis court There are three terraces to chose from to eat outside. One always in the shade and depending on the time of day there is always sun and shade for the two others. There is a barbecue, table tennis, baby football, badminton and croquet. Utility Room: Washing machine; Dryer;American fridge;Heat-exchange boiler; Deep-freeze Dish washer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen. The property is cleaned before arrival. Beds changed once a week, plus towels. There are swimming pool towels to be used. Cleaner can come more often by arrangement. Other: Dining Room with table to seat 10. High chair available. Wood burning stove. Central Heating throughout. Office with double sofa bed.