Former Laird's House by Loch Tay, nr Killin, Perthshire, Scotland - Set in 50 acres leading down to the shores of Loch Tay
A former Laird's House, Morenish is ideal for large family/ friends gatherings, as well as walkers, fishing and cycling groups. Set back from the banks of Loch Tay, within 50 acres of its own gardens/ grounds, guests can enjoy a gentle stroll down to the loch. The house is well equipped, one of the key features being the central "hub" - this includes a large space incorporating kitchen (with aga!), dining area and living room (with wood-burning stove) - the open plan layout means no-one is left out, and is a great area for get-togethers at the end of a long day! Immediately outside the house is the central courtyard, safe for young children, large lawn (croquet anyone?), as well as woods and streams - there's even a waterfall! On the doorstep are numerous activities, including - salmon fishing, hill walks, canoeing, watersports, golf, bird watching. Also within easy driving distance are various historic sites and places of interest, including the famous Falls of Dochart at Ki.
Top Traveller Review
thank you for letting us be the first Scout group to use your facilities.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"...we all had a brilliant time - great place to get all the family together for a catch up and have some belated birthday celebrations, thanks so much again for all your help! Will definitely be back to visit and recommend to friends and family." C Campbell, March 2013.
"...just wanted to say thank you for a lovely weekend at Morenish House. It is a beautiful place and it was just perfect for us with all the space for the kids inside the house and outside too. We even got to enjoy the snow today!" L Paterson, Jan 13.
"We picked Morenish because of great central location and size. People were coming from all directions! The house is the size of a small hotel, plenty of bathrooms and toilets so no one was waiting! Loads of rooms with kids(and adults!) entertained in two games rooms. Loads of books for adults and children. The young kids loved the toys, the teens loved the free WiFi! You don't really have to bring anything other than yourself as everything catered for." smid001, No
"Just wanted to drop you a wee note to say thank you very much for allowing us to use the property.
Every bed was full and we didn’t have a single grumble the whole weekend. The weather stayed fair, the food was excellent, my own 15 hour slow cooked beef with smokey bbq rub was my favourite (I even temporarily converted two vegetarians to the dark side!!) and there was almost enough wine to get us through, just one wee trip to Killin was required.
There is already talk of taking it again same time next year, so as soon as the term times are confirmed, I’ll get back to you." A McK, Oct 14.
"This is the sixth year that we have taken over a house for a weekend in November- we being myself, four siblings, our partners and 15 “children” aged between seven and 25. We’ve been in all sorts of accommodation over the years including youth hostels and a large townhouse in Stirling.
Morenish House suited our needs to a tee. Beautiful house with so much communal space which meant that teenagers, adults and kids happily co-existed. Thank you, we'll be back!" JJ, Nov '15.
"Thank you Alistair, we all had a great trip – the house was fab – everyone really enjoyed it. The house was great and I had never cooked on an Aga before which was an experience – but now I really want one!" LC, February 2015.
2 holidaymaker reviews
The scout group had a fantastic time geocaching, canoeing, mountain biking and walking. There is so much to do here what ever the weather. The place is a perfect spot for scouts to let their hair down - we named the main beach Skull point and camped under the full moon, sun rise was amazing!
thank you for letting us be the first Scout group to use your facilities.
A Great Weekend
We hired this spacious house for a cousins reunion and it suited our needs perfectly.The location against the backdrop of Ben Lawyers and overlooking Loch Tay is truly beautiful. The proximity to the local village of Killin makes for an easy journey to reach the local shops & tourist attractions by car.
The house is very well appointed & comfortable. We especially liked the Aga for a cosy feel to the kitchen & the open plan dining and seating area. The bedrooms vary in size & decor & although not en suite there are enough bathrooms nearby to accommodate everyone.
Although the house was full to capacity , it never felt overcrowded. There are extra sitting rooms indoors , lovely walks to the Loch & a mountain to climb for those with sporting interests. We would be happy to return.
Activity and Interests
From Aberfeldy - 30 mins.
Edinburgh - 90 mins.
Glasgow - 90 mins.
Nearest train station - Crianlarich (20 min drive).
Killin/ Falls of Dochart - 2 mins.
Ben Lawers - 10 mins.
Kenmore - 20 mins.
Fortingall/ Glen Lyon - 30 mins.
Aberfeldy - 30 mins.
Callender - 45 mins.
Glen Coe - 45 mins.
Stirling - 1 hour.
Perth - 1 hour.
Killin is well served with amenities, and has a supermarket, newsagent, post office, general store, police station, doctors, bank, as well as several coffee shops, hotels, etc.
In general, the whole area has a variety of places to eat out, details of which are provided in the house information pack.
There are a multitude of activities in the area, with several Munros (including the Ben Lawers range, and within easy driving distance the dramatic peaks of Glencoe) and hill walks on the doorstep to interest walkers. Nearby are watersports centres, whilst guests can use the shores of Loch Tay for fishing, or by permit for salmon.
The area is rich in beautiful scenery and a great variety of wildlife can be found round every corner.
Many places of interest are within a short drive, including - Falls of Dochart and Finlarig Castle, Killin, complete with beheading pit!; Crannog Centre, watersports, Mains of Taymouth (horseriding, Courtyard food/ drink - all Kenmore; the Fortingall Yew Tree, thatched cottages, hotel and stone circles - Fortingall; Highland Safaris, Castle Menzies and House of Menzies - Weem, nr Aberfeldy; Watermill Bookshop, Breadalbane Academy swimming pool, Dewar's Whisky Distillery, The Birks (walk), new Cinema - all Aberfeldy. White water rafting - Grandtully.
In summary, there is a very long list of activities in the area to suit all ages - on the other hand, for those seeking a peaceful holiday.... well, there is plenty to do in and around Morenish House, without having to travel any distance at all...
- Booking Notes:
Deposit - 10% payable upon booking - non refundable.
Balance - due 1 month before arrival date.
Good housekeeping deposit - £250 - payable at balance.
Prices inclusive of VAT at prevailing rate.
For full week stays, normal changeover day is Friday, though there is flexibility for full weeks commencing outwith, particularly during non-peak rental times.
Notes on prices:
Morenish House is available to rent throughout the year, with flexibility (subject to availability) in terms of length of stay. Full weeks available as well as short (weekend or midweek) breaks, with a minimum stay of 2 nights.
Standard changeover day is Friday for full week bookings, though again there will be flexibility for certain times of the year.
For any queries or a quote for specific dates, please contact the owner.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs shower-room/ toilet for bedroom 1. Upstairs - 3 family bathrooms, all with shower. Upstairs - separate WC.
- 9 Bedrooms, Sleeps 22
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 22 (9 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 1 - on ground floor, 1 x double (kingsize), 1 single 2 - bunk room (x2), plus 3 singles 3 - double bed (kingsize) 4 - twin beds 5 - twin beds 6 - double bed 7 - double bed 8 - twin beds 9 - double bed
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: In addition to the 3 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms have wash hand basins. Outside: Immediately outside the main door is the courtyard, the former farmyard - this is a large and safe area for children to play, and for outdoor dining on the paved patio. The Dutch barn is ideal for playing in wet weather, and for using the barbecue. Adjacent is the main lawn, very popular for ball games, cricket (honest!),badminton, even croquet! Has spectacular views over the loch below. Morenish is surrounded by lovely woodland, with streams running in between -perfect fun and exploring for children and adults alike! Many walks can be created throughout the immediate area, without getting into a car! There is even a waterfall, well worth exploring, and spectacular during periods of high rainfall. The shores of Loch Tay are a 10 minute walk over the fields (with Osprey viewing in the summer) - there are numerous picnic areas, and for the brave, shallow water for swimming. Fishing can be undertaken from the shore, or for salmon via permit (and boat) from the shop in Killin. Utility Room: Ideal for muddy boots and wet clothing! Includes separate door to leading courtyard; washing machine & tumble dryer; sink; chest freezer; large fridge; storage; drying pulley. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Prices include all linen and towels. Other: Morenish has 2 very popular playrooms - upstairs has a lovely large kids playroom, with plenty of toys/ books for all ages. Adjacent to the utility room is the grown-ups play room - includes table football, pool table, Kettler table tennis table.