Apartment in Grasmere, Lake District, Cumbria, England - Luxury 3 Bedroom Apartment Right In The Heart Of The Lake District. Sleeps 5
'Baldry’s' are renowned for welcoming guests to their Grasmere tearoom with their home baked cakes and food. Now you can experience more of that hospitality by staying at 'Baldry’s Cottage'. Fans of Baldry’s elegant style will love the Cottage’s Farrow & Ball interior and exquisite details - urban chic meets country in the heart of Grasmere. With 3 gorgeous bedrooms, comfy lounge with TV, lovely AGA equipped kitchen and private garden, there’s more than enough to drag you away from the stunning views! Step out and you can explore the history of Grasmere, such as Wordsworth's home & resting place. And whether you are a walker, climber or cyclist, Grasmere's location makes it the perfect base to enjoy the best of the Lake District. What's more on your return and by arrangement, your hosts can have a slow cooked meal waiting for you in the AGA. Living above a tearoom has its perks - all guests receive a discount on the many delights on offer in Baldry's during their stay.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
For several years we ran a successful hotel in Windermere which we loved. Then in 2008 came the opportunity to ‘downsize’ by purchasing Baldry’s Tearoom in Grasmere, allowing us to create our own vision of a vintage style tearoom. We love welcoming guests and we’re both creative people, so husband Ron, a builder, set about carefully restoring and decorating the tearoom and the apartment, whilst I, Alison, took care of baking fresh bread and cakes daily. As well as a nationwide reputation for my lemon meringue, the tearoom’s interior design has also drawn plenty of comments from visitors to Grasmere. For the last 5 years, home for our family has been above the tearoom. However the hospitality bug has hit again and renting out what has been our home to guests is our next challenge.
1 holidaymaker review
Not our first stay at Baldrys or indeed Grasmere, but each visit feels like we are coming home and our dog is just as happy. The accommodation is first class and right in the centre of the village. After a long drive the warmth of the Aga is matched by the warmth of the welcome. Every visitor should sample the food in the tea room especially the meringue and after a long walk coming home to one of Alisons meals in the Aga is a perfect end to any day. If you want high quality family accommodation a welcome for you and the dog, great food we have found it at Baldrys.
From the Owner
“The whole property was bought in March 2008 and the living accommodation was changed to a rental apartment in the Spring of 2013. It was a fantastic opportunity to live and work in what is one of the Lake Districts most popular villages – Grasmere. If you look at a map of the National Park, it is pretty much at the centre with great access to most areas. Indeed the A591 that runs ‘through’ Grasmere is the main north south route through the centre of the county. Although it’s popularity can mean that it’s fairly busy by day, by late afternoon the tourists have gone and it becomes this lovely tranquil village again. You do really get to enjoy two side of Grasmere every day.”
Activity and Interests
Being in the heart of the Lake District, there are a diverse selection of lakes, meres and tarns to explore. The waters of Grasmere for instance are just a few minutes by foot from the cottage. If you want to enjoy the sea, Morecambe Bay is about 27 miles to the south of Grasmere, just under an hour's drive. From Ulverston, there is a huge amount of coastline to enjoy right round the Furness Peninsula and including Roa & Piel Islands and Walney Island, which boasts two Nature reserves.
The nearest major international airport is Manchester, about 97 miles by road. There is a train service from Manchester International Airport to Windermere via Oxenholme (Kendal). From Windermere station, Grasmere is a short bus ride away.
Unless you are expressly visiting to walk or cycle, it is advisable to have a car during your holiday stay.
By Car - leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 and take A590/A591. On the first roundabout at Grasmere, go left into the village.
Ambleside - 4 miles
Windermere/Bowness - 8 miles
Kendal - 17 miles
Coniston - 8.5 miles
Hawkshead - 8.5 miles
Ulverston - 23 miles
Keswick - 12.5 miles
Ullswater - 22 miles
Penrith - 28 miles
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
To book, contact Alison. All bookings require a deposit. Payment is by credit, debit card or cheque.
We will take card details on booking, then only take the full payment 8 weeks prior to arrival.
Long weekends & midweek breaks are available.
Changeover day Friday. Check in after 2pm. Check out 10.30am.
No deposit is required but payment in full 8 weeks prior to arrival.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Well having your landlady downstairs cooking and baking all day does have its benefits! With 24 hours notice, guests can order from a menu of main courses and puddings that can be cooked and be ready waiting for you in your kitchen’s AGA on your return from a day walking the fells (or shopping!). Also all guests enjoy a discount on food & drinks at Baldry’s Tearoom throughout their stay.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- One bathroom with walk-in power shower with body jets. Wc & wash basin. Large radiator with towel hooks. Ample hot water.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king size double with wonderful balcony views & walk-in wardrobe. Bedroom 2 with single bed, built-in wardrobe & TV. Bedroom 3 with double bed, built-in wardrobe & TV.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Baldry's Cottage shares a ground floor with a popular tearoom. However due to the quality of the building, once upstairs, you will hardly notice the tearoom below. The tearoom is famous for its cakes, but it's also renowned for it's beautiful shabby chic interior. Baldry's owners have lived in the cottage for many years and they've employed the same style and attention to detail throughout the building, with Farrow & Ball walls and exquisite objects dotted around the cottage. Outside: There is a garden to the rear of the cottage with a variety of outdoor seating and a marble topped table with parasol in the summer. The garden is shared by our 2 pet rabbits, Bugsy (lion head) & Lucozade, who have a house & run of their own, where they can go underground. We will accept dogs by prior arrangement but they must be 100% OK with the rabbits. There is no onsite parking but a permit for 1 car only is provided for use at a near by car park. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: High quality bed linen & towels are provided for all our guests. We provide basic cleaning materials & kitchen towels. The house is cleaned by ourselves before & after your stay. We provide a washing service free of charge. Two loads per week.