Aish House Apartment in Aish, South Hams, Nr. Totnes, South Devon, England - Perfect For Families And Friends. A Great Place To Unwind And Relax For A Memorable Holiday
A much loved family home. The principle house was built over 200 years ago adjacent to an original eighteenth century residence. It's the perfect sanctuary to unwind after a day of walking on Dartmoor, or along the beautiful South Hams coastline or picturesque River Dart. Sunbathing and swimming on numerous beaches within 5 miles. Fishing, bird watching, riding, swimming, climbing, kayaking, walking and cycling are all on the doorstep. The apartment is private and comfortably furnished. You can self cater or fine dining is available a short drive away. The village of Galmpton is a short drive drive away and from here you can take a steam train or ferry to Dartmouth, Dittisham or Totnes. The Sharpham Estate, with its renown cheeses and award winning wines, is just across the river from us and can be reached by car or by hire boat.
If you would like to rent the entire property to include 5 double ensuite, 2 twin rooms & 1 single bedroom. Drawing room, sitting room, kitchen breakfast room, dinning room, additional kitchen and dinning room please contact Jo for 2015 rates.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
For 10 years travelling from my home in Galmpton to work in Totnes I passed Aish House, and always admired its grandeur and thought one day.....
Robert, Will, Lawrence, Olivia, Oscar and I bought Aish House in July 2012 and have had an amazing 1st year Cider making, clay pigeon shooting, sheep herding and are looking forward to many more happy times at Aish.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Jo, Robert & the children made us feel so welcome. Nothing was to much trouble. They gave us great information on where to eat, days out etc. Will certainly be staying at Aish when we next visit Devon.
We had a fantastic stay at Aish house, so quiet and peaceful. Our children loved all the animals. Feeding the Ewes and rabbits, and collecting the chicken eggs. A real country retreat.
The apartment was big enough for our family and grandparents. We had lovely evening BBQs in the enclosed and secluded walled garden. We all agreed a truly chilled holiday.
5 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
We absolutely loved staying at Aish house. The apartment is gorgeous and very comfortable with heavenly views and a splendid private walled garden. The hosts are so thoughtful and welcoming that you feel right at home. The location is spot on as well and perfect for exploring South Hams. I would absolutely recommend staying here and very much look forward to our next visit.
A perfect family holiday
We had two families to consider on this holiday, and the accommodation suited all of us, the rooms were so spacious and luxurious, and we had all the equipment we needed to feel at home especially with four kids, and they did not take long to find all the toys in the toy cupboard or 'the playroom' as the kids put it!
Jo and Robert and their lovely kids were very welcoming and helpful, and were on hand if we needed them.
Aish house is in such a beautiful and convenient location for all the sights. We loved the local village of Stoke Gabriel where the kids could go crabbing in the Mill pond, and if you fancy a bite to eat or an evening drink, 'The River shack' is a great place to go. We could walk to the village in approximately 20 mins, depending on which way you go. We just missed the local week long carnival when we arrived, but will hopefully return to see that in the near future. Both of our families had a Fab time and will definitely be returning ASAP. Thank you Jo, Robert and kids.
My family and I had a very pleasant stay this summer and would highly recommend the apartment. It was clean, quiet, comortable and well equipped. We'll be bacl
We had a most enjoyable family holiday at Aish House which is very wellappointed and we were made very welcome by The Owners nothing was too much trouble it is an ideal location for younger children with 6 acres of land to explore and play in the surrouding countryside is wonderful a five ster holidaqy
From the Owner
“Aish is a quiet hamlet in a perfect location. 5 minutes into Totnes for fab shops, great restaurants. 5 minutes into Stoke Gabriel a small village with pubs and village shop. A lovely play area in the orchard for the children followed by a walk along the river where children love to crab on the millpond. Living in Aish feels like you're in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by cows, sheep and a variety of wildlife it truly is a calm relaxing place to be.”
Activity and Interests
There are a number of beaches between 10 and 30 minutes drive away; Broadsands and Blackpool Sands are the most popular, but the very secluded and charming sandy beaches of Scabbacombe and Mansands, located less than 5 miles from us on the National Trust's Coleton Fishacre estate are particularly beautiful and are well worth exploring.
Exeter airport 30 miles, Bristol Airport 90 miles.
Totnes Railway Station 3.6 miles, Newton Abbot Railway Station 11.5 miles.
Rural location and so car recommended.
Stoke Gabriel 0.9 miles, Totnes 3.5 miles, Kingswear/Dartmouth 9 miles.
Exeter City 27 miles, Plymouth City 27 miles.
The South Hams is a region of rural and coastal Devon with many areas designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. To the north the South Hams stretch to the edges of Dartmoor National Park, while to the south it covers one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the UK from Torbay to Plymouth. With a strong rural and maritime heritage the South Hams is noted for its quality local food, culture, and scenic landscape. It’s a wonderful outdoor environment, with rivers, moor land, coasts and the sea offering visitors a range of activities including canoeing, walking and sailing. Heritage fans will love local attractions such as Totnes Castle and The South Devon Railway and a range of arts and food festivals will keep culture-vultures happy throughout the year. For the nautically inclined the coast has a big tradition of sailing regattas and arts events.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
2 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£350|
A 30% deposit of the total rental is required to secure the booking and is due within 3 days of acceptance of your booking. Payment of the balance (and an additional cautionary deposit of £350) is due in cleared funds 6 weeks prior to the arrival date. For bookings accepted less than 6 weeks before arrival, full payment and the cautionary deposit is required within 3 days of acceptance to secure the booking. Payments are accepted by cheque.
2 month cancellation required for deposit refund.
Changeover day is Saturday. Guests are respectfully requested to vacate by 1000hrs. The property will be available from 1600hrs.
Notes on prices: Short Breaks are only available in low season. Sept-June.
Short breaks: 3 or 4 night short breaks are available charged at 70% of the weekly tariff. 3 nights Friday to Sunday, 4 nights Monday to Thursday. 20% of tariff per additional night. You can also rent the entire house please contact Jo 07815980566
50% deposit plus £350 breakages deposit on booking. Balance due 6 weeks prior to arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Fine grandier of a Georgian family home. Collect your fresh eggs from the chickens every morning taking in the paddock views with lambs, rabbits and pheasants.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- bay fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En Suite to Master bedroom with large shower, wc, pedestal wash hand basin. En Suite to Cottage room with bath, separate shower, wc, pedestal wash hand basin. Family bathroom with bath & shower over, wc, pedestal wash hand basin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6/8 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom: double bed with additional double sofa bed and en suite. Outstanding country views. Cottage bedroom: double bed and en-suite. Dual Aspect. Cider orchard views. Family bedroom: 2 single beds (separate bathroom). Farm and hill side views.
- Boat ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: We've a young family so understand the value of a caring and responsible baby sitter; we can't promise to always be able to help you find one, but we're very happy to put you in touch with our local baby sitters. Outside: Aish House is set within 6 acres of mature grounds and orchards and has previously been the home to members of the Elmhirst Family. As such, its formal gardens have benefitted from the fine head gardeners of both the Dartington Estate in Totnes and also Agatha Christie's former local riverside home. The apartment is offered with private use of the beautiful walled East Garden with its resplendent mature trees and shrubs. The East Garden is a wonderful place to unwind, relax and perhaps enjoy a family barbecue. The cider orchard is often grazed by sheep while our 'resident' Barn Owl is a joy to watch. The property borders Hoile Lane (pedestrian mainly) and this is our family walking route to the riverside village of Stoke Gabriel where there are two pubs, a restaurant, a PO, shop and a medieval Parish Church. Our children love to compete against each other while crab-fishing at the Mill Pond adjacent to the River Shack Café. SG's village cricket ground is within earshot! Utility Room: Washing machine, clothes dryer, ironing board, iron. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen and towels provided, and changed once a week or subject to request. Guests are respectfully requested to bring their own beach towels. Cleaning once a week or subject to request. Other: If you would like to rent the entire house sleeping 17 then please contact Jo 07815980566