Barr Aidh Holiday Home in Coad, Castlecove, County Kerry, Ireland - Secluded And Ideally Located For Sandy Beaches And For Walking, Fishing And Golfing
There is no better place to experience the beauty and tranquillity of Ireland than from this homely, well-appointed three bedroom bungalow. Nestled in a large plot and surrounded by farm land, stunning and ever-changing views of the Kenmare Estuary and the Beara Peninsula can be had from the garden and front windows. Centrally heated and equipped with dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer it is always cosy and makes a magical setting for Christmas and the winter months. For the rest of the year the bungalow could not be better placed for walking, golf, cycling and fishing. The pretty town of Sneem is a 20 minute drive away, the hamlet of Cahadaniel is within walking distance over the hill on part of the Kerry Way (or ten minutes in the car) and beautiful, unspoilt beaches are just minutes away. The bustling town of Kenmare is 45 minutes away and Killarney Airport, served by Ryanair from Stansted, Luton and Gatwick, a 75 minute drive through beautiful scenery.
About the Owner
About Keith Wadsworth
In the 1990s Mary and her brother holidayed to Ireland with their other halves and they all fell in love with Castlecove and this stunningly beautiful part of Kerry.
Together they bought a plot of land from a farmer and, with a local builder, they designed and built Barr Aidh. Friends and family have since made it their second home.
Time and circumstances changed and the bungalow is now owned by another of the brothers and his wife, along with three other couples who are very long-standing friends and who visited and inevitably fell for the house and now share the ownership.
Barr Aidh and the area stole their hearts and they are sure it will steal yours too.
Activity and Interests
There are several pristine, sandy beaches within a few minutes drive of Barr Aidh. Derrynane Sands is a stunning stretch of spotlessly clean beach, backed by dunes and grassy banks. The absence of kiosks and arcades, and the rocky outcrops both close to the beach and out in the ocean, combine to create the feeling 'it was ever thus'. It is perfect for walking on the beach, rock-pooling and money-free play. White Strand is a beautiful but smaller secluded beach and others are within easy reach.
From the UK the simplest access by air is with Ryanair from London Luton, Stansted and Gatwick to Killarney which is a 75 minute drive through beautiful scenery, with perfect stopping points en route to the bungalow. Alternatively visitors might fly into Cork and make the two hour drive from there. Longer visits to Ireland might start in Dublin by air or ferry to include the journey across Ireland to the bungalow as part of an extended trip. There are direct flights from JFK to Shannon.
Killarney Airport to the bungalow: 78km.
Castlecove: 2km - shop, fuel.
Sneem:15km - pretty town with, river, shops.
Derrynane House: 9km - home of Daniel O'Connell, gardens.
Cahadaniel: 6km - The Blind Piper pub for good food.
Cahacirveen: 35km - shop, walks, museum
Skellig Islands: 50km to Portmagee via the stunning Skellig Ring - boat trips to the puffin islands.
Valencia Island: 55km via Portmagee - restaurants, salmon smokery, walks and views.
Beara Ring: 90km.
There are supermarkets in Killarney, Shannon and Cork so food stocks can be acquired before making the drive from the airport but there is a good local store from which everything you are likely to need can be purchased. Cahacirveen, a 40 minute drive away, has various shops, including a bakery, butcher and banks. There are maps and information in the house.
There are places to eat in all the towns so it is easy to include a meal out during a day trip. The Blind Piper in Cahadaniel offers soup and snacks all day and hearty and more sophisticated dishes, using locally-sourced ingredients, too.
But what better than a packing a picnic: the area is ideal for walking, cycling, fishing, golfing and beach-combing. The scenery is breathtaking and the opportunities for land- and sea-scape photography are endless. There are amazing sun-sets, light pollution-free skies, the ocean and rivers and banks of flowers (in season) abound. Day-trips will take you to various points around the world-renowned Ring of Kerry to view and walk. But there are also walks from the bungalow on marked ways.
For the more adventurous there is a riding school at Cahadaniel with opportunities to ride on the beach or into the hills. Kayaks and canoes are available to hire (with wet-suits) at Abbey Island beach. There are climbing and bouldering places throughout the area and those wishing to include this in their trip will get details from relevant forum sites.
The drive to Kenmare is about 45 minutes and takes you to a pretty, bustling, market town featuring brightly coloured shops, pubs and art galleries. Longer trips get you to the Dingle Peninsula, Garnish Island in Bantry Bay with its magnificent island gardens accessed by ferry boat passing the basking seals, and the beautiful Beara Peninsula.
Within a very few minutes, however, are the fifth century Staigue Fort, Gleesk Pier, remote Lambs Head, picturesque West Cove, White Strand beach and access to the Kerry Way walking way.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Sep 2016 - 1 Apr 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
20% deposit on booking at which time further details are provided. On payment of the balance, normally one month prior to arrival, final details are provided.
All payments by cheque or BACS.
Late booking discounts may be available.
Normally changeover is Saturday but if your plans make this less than ideal please contact and we will accommodate other days if it is possible.
Notes on prices:
Prices include all gas and electricity, laundry of house linen and cleaning on departure.
For prices for fewer than 7 nights please contact.
A deposit of 20% of the booking fee will secure the booking with the balance paid normally no later than four weeks prior to travel. The deposit will be required with completion of a simple contract and both the preferred method of payment of both the deposit and the balance is by BACS. This can be done in either Sterling or Euros.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En suite to Bedroom 1 has toilet, wash-hand basin and shower cubicle. The main bathroom has toilet, wash-hand basin, bidet, bath and shower cubicle.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 7 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 is a double bed with en suite with toilet, wash-hand basin and shower cubicle. Bedroom 2 is a twin bedded room. Bedroom 3 has a single and bunk beds. There is an occasional bed-settee in the living room.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Sorry no pets. Outside: The property is half a mile from the Ring of Kerry road, along a single-track lane so, with its large garden of lush grass and flower beds, a steep grassy bank to the rear and a path round the whole bungalow, it makes both an ideal place for children to play or an immensely peaceful adults-only holiday. The garden is frequented by birds so bird-song and the occasional bleat of sheep and lowing of cows underline the 'miles from anywhere' feel. The drive is lined with hardy fuschia and, in their seasons, banks of crocosmia and iris abound in the immediate area. A large patio with furniture provides the perfect place for eating al fresco, catching the sun or simply listening to the quiet. The property and garden are beautifully secluded and private and afford stunning views across the valley to the Estuary and the Beara Peninsula. There is ample car-parking for several cars and the gate is operated electrically by buttons at the top and bottom of the drive for ease of access. Utility Room: The utility room has a chest freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are all provided and beds are made up with duvets for your arrival. Dishwasher powder, washing up liquid, washing machine detergent for a wash and hand soap are provided, as are dishcloths, tea-towels and pre-paid waste sacks. Other: The bungalow offers an air of both homeliness and space. There are places for hanging coats, keeping boots and drying clothes. The open fire in the living room makes for a cosy, relaxing evening and the patio and garden offer a peaceful sun-trap.