10 bedroom chateau in beautiful, tranquil setting - in heart of Gascony countryside and close to historic market towns
This restored, medieval chateau is set in 5 hectares of grounds and overlooks a pretty valley, with the Pyrenees mountains in the distance. The setting is completely tranquil, with no close neighbours and only a tantalising glimpse of nearby villages amongst the trees. The house is very welcoming and has been lovingly restored to a very high standard. While retaining many original features it also has a modern aspect to it, and is perfect for large family holidays. Two bedrooms and the ground floor of the house are fully accessible for wheelchairs. The garden is perfect for relaxing in with quiet and hidden areas in which to find a private spot. There is a swimming pool with sun terrace, a juice bar, and a trampoline for the children. A footpath leads you through the woodlands of the estate. The house is only 5 minutes drive from the nearest village which has a good restaurant, boulangerie and grocers. Nearby are many charming villages and market towns with full amenities.
About the Owner
We are an English-Dutch couple with two young daughters. We bought the chateau and moved down to France in 2011. It was semi-ruined when we bought it and we spent two years renovating it.
During the Summer we live on-site in a separate cottage at the entrance to the property. We are available if you need help but are very happy to let you get on with it.
We have a dog and a couple of cats. Because we have our own animals we are animal-friendly so if you'd like to bring a pet with you then do enquire.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We recently got married at Chateau Puissentut in the middle of a week long stay with 20 of our family and friends. We had the most incredible time, and were blown away with the setting, facilities, and hosts." Nils
"Angela and Dirk have created a beautiful place to stay and relax, with tastefully-decorated bedrooms spread around to allow a bit of privacy. The house itself has everything you could possibly need, and we found ourselves spending a lot more time just hanging around the house and relaxing than we expected - it has that kind of an effect on people." Mike
“It's fantastic, tranquil, beautiful and with great, characterful rooms with interesting art and design touches. The hosts are very welcoming -- a perfect place to get away and relax.” Alex
“We were blown away by the welcome, house, and location and therefore had the perfect week...It's beautifully presented and a lot of love has gone into making it the ideal place to stay and relax.” John
“A beautiful château, which has been stylishly decorated to a very high standard.” Leigh
“Angela and Dirk have created a very special place to stay in a glorious part of France. The rooms are all very beautifully designed and nothing is too much trouble for the charming hosts...The pool is perfect and situated in a stunning garden overlooking the rolling countryside...All in all it is a perfect place to stay and provides peace and tranquillity...” Michele
From the Owner
“Out of the holiday season we run the house as a retreat and workshop venue and we bought the house with this intention. We focussed on South West France as we were already familiar with the area and knew there were some fantastic properties at reasonable prices. We were looking for a property of at least 600sqm with out buildings and the possibility of building another house close by. We also wanted some land and to be away from roads. When we saw Puissentut we immediately knew it was exactly what we were looking for. It was the right size, has a wonderful location and is very peaceful. After 2 years renovating the property we hosted our first retreat in 2013.”
Activity and Interests
The Gers is perfect for cycling. Rolling hills (which are never too high) make it a great place for interval training and create variety with a different view from every hill top. What'smore, the roads are very quiet, many of them are single track, which means your trips are almost car-free and therefore safe for all the family.
We can arrange bespoke cycling holidays for groups which include activities for those partners who don't want to cycle. For example we can arrange for partners to join you at particular restaurants on your cycling route or we can arrange massage treatments and yoga lessons at the chateau.
We are happy to host weddings at the Chateau. Please see our website for further information: www.chateaudepuissentut.com
Places to visit locally
The special thing about the Gers is that it is totally French and it's like stepping back in time. The Gers is relatively untouched by the tourist trade which means that staying here you get a true picture of french life. What'smore, the passage of time has made very little impression on the villages or the countryside and if it weren't for the occasional car you could easily imagine yourself back in medieval times.
The tiny hamlets and villages are fascinating. This region was rocked by the 100 years war between the British and the French and then by the wars of religion between the Protestants and the Catholics. As a result the villages are heavily fortified with walls, gateways, and gridded street systems which makes them fascinating and romantic.
Some of our favourite villags are Monfort, Sarrant, Maubec, St Clar and Homps.
Towns: Auch, Lectoure and Condom
Being on the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostella the regional towns were significant religious centres. Each town is dominated by a cathedral lending stature and bringing wealth to these otherwise rather small, market towns. The former wealth is visible in the grand houses and stone work.
The vibrant local markets are a must. Not only is locally grown produce available - fruit and vegetables, aritsanal bread, cheeses and meats, fois gras, armagnac and floc - but they are an important meeting place for the locals who gather to exchange news and chat. The liveliest markets are Tuesday in Fleurance and Friday in Lectoure.
The local village fetes are also a wonderful experience. Open to everyone they often span a full weekend with lots of activities and meals to join in. Several villages also organise night markets where you can eat, enjoy local entertainment and do a spot of shopping.
For the children
There are several 'base de loisir' which offer swimming opportunities and 'beaches'.
Monfort (3km) is the nearest village with basic amenities (boulangerie, post office, restaurant, grocers, hairdressers). T
Mauvezin and Fleurance are small market towns (both 15 minutes away by care) with full amenities such as banks, petrol stations and supermarkets. Lectoure also has a good market, cafes and restaurants, and some lovely shops ideal for purchasing gifts and momentos (25 minutes drive).
Auch (30 mins) and Condom (35 mins) are larger towns offering more shopping and dining opportunities.
Vibrant Toulouse is 1 hour away.
Both the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts are less than 2.5 hours drive away, which means you can do a day trip to the coast if you wish.
The Pyrenees are a 2-2.5 hour drive away. The nearest spa town is Bagneres de Luchon, where there is also a ski resort. Good skying is also possible at St Lary Soulan.
The nearest airport is Toulouse, Blagnac (50 mins by car). Carcassonne (1 hour 45 mins by car) and Bordeaux (2 hours by car) are also options. Car hire is essential.
Trains arrive either at Agen or Toulouse (both 1 hour drive to the chateau).
From Calais it is an 9 hour drive.
From Paris it is an 8 hour drive.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Sep 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Christmas and New Year
17 Dec 2016 - 1 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Winter/Early Spring 2017
2 Jan 2017 - 31 Mar 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
2 Apr 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 3 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
4 Sep 2017 - 15 Dec 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£671|
Upon verbal confirmation we will send you a booking agreement and an invoice for the deposit. Once the deposit is paid your booking is guaranteed.
Changeover day in the high season is either Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday. Guests can arrive from 4pm onwards on the day of arrival and must leave by 10am on the day of departure.
Notes on prices:
Prices quoted are for 10 bedrooms sleeping 20 people. We can accommodate up to 5 more people in the adjoining cottage: 150 Euros per night or 850 Euros per week. There are also 3 single rooms (sinks only) in the main house available for 175 Euros each/week.
Prices are negotiable for smaller parties. The smallest party size we are able to accommodate is a 5-bedroom booking. Please enquire.
A deposit of 25% of the total cost of the stay is required to confirm the booking. The remaining 75% must be paid 8 weeks prior to agreed arrival date.
A damage deposit of EUR750 must be either in advance by bank transfer or on arrival in cash. This will be returned to you on or within a month of your departure less any amount that is retained to cover the cost of damage or additional cleaning.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Everyone who visits Chateau de Puissentut loves it. It is a combination of the house's charm and its amazingly peaceful and calm location. Although the house is big it is also very welcoming and cosy and all the social areas - kitchen, courtyard dining area, garden and pool - are very central, which means everyone can find their own space and still feel they're part of the group. Because Chateau de Puissentut is such a relaxing place to be many people find that all they want to do is kick-back and enjoy the simple pleasures of life - family and friends, good food and wine, a good book, being in nature and soaking up some sun. But when you eventually do want to venture out you'll love the historical villages, vibrant markets, fascinating fetes, and myriad sporting and outdoor activities.”
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome ...
- pets considered ...
- smoking allowed ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- winery tours
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- water skiing
- 600 m²
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink.
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 5 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 9 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 6 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 7 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 8 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Shower room 10 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- All bathrooms have a shower, washbasin and toilet.
- 10 Bedrooms, Sleeps 20
- Sea Star - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Room is wheelchair accessible. Childrens beds can be added.
- Red Room - 1 Large Double Bed, Toddler beds and cots can be added
- Sun Flower Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Bamboo Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Garden Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- De Sariac - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Murakami Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Black and White - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Snow Girl Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Can be double or twin. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- Pink Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Wheelchair accessible. Toddler beds and cots can be added.
- The house sleeps up to 20 in 10 Bedrooms. All bedrooms are ensuite: 4 are doubles; 6 are either doubles or twins. 2 bedrooms are wheelchair accessible. All bed linen and towels are included. Additional beds, toddler beds and cots can be made available on request for an additional fee. A 2 bedroom cottage which sleeps 4/5, plus three single rooms are also available to rent. Please enquire about rates.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The Chateau is fully centrally heated with wood burning stoves in the downstairs lounge and in the dining room. In the cooler months, heating costs and wood are included in the rental price. In the Summer months air conditioning is not needed as the thick stone walls keep the rooms inside cool. Please note that we - the owners - live on site in a separate gite at the entrance to the property. They can be on hand if you need help but otherwise are very happy to let you get on with things yourself. Please also note that we have a dog. He is very friendly and extremely good with kids but if you do have any concerns please do let us know. If you would like to bring your own dog then please do contact us as we are amenable to allowing guests to bring dogs. Outside: The terraced gardens provide areas for sociability, relaxation and play. A very pretty courtyard is the perfect spot for alfresco dining with a long dinning table. From here the garden opens into a large lawn trimmed with flower beds. Beyond this lawn is a sun terrace which surrounds the pool (10x4m). This is equipped with sun loungers, parasols and towels. Beneath the sun terrace is a smaller lawn and a path leading down to a small orchard and a ruined pigeonnier, which is perfect spot for quiet contemplation and taking in the view. There is also a walking path that takes you through the woodland adjoining the house and around the property. From this path longer walks can be made. Utility Room: Washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and bedlinen are included and are changed weekly. Property cleaned weekly before arrival and after departure. Additional cleaning can be arranged for a fee. A cook can also be arranged for a fee.