Self-Catered Apartment near Berkeley, near Stroud, The Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England - Countryside Location On A Smallholding, 20 Mins To Bristol / 30 Mins To Cheltenham / 40 Mins To Bath
Little Swanley is a converted annexe to Swanley House offering self-contained self-catering accommodation, fitted to a high standard. There is a well-equipped kitchen / dining area at one end of a large living room, the other end being comfortably furnished as a lounge. The bedroom is double aspect, overlooking the orchard & paddock, occupied from time to time by Gloucester Old Spot pigs, alpacas & chickens. Swanley itself is a small hamlet comprising a handful of houses along a quiet country lane; set back from the A38, there is quick & easy access from Swanley to the M5 at either junction 13 (north for Cheltenham / Gloucester) or 14 (south for Bristol / Bath). Little Swanley offers the best of both worlds - proximity to cities for shopping or culture plus a rural location for a getaway break in the countryside. Local attractions include the historic Berkeley Castle, the birdwatchers' paradise at Slimbridge WWT & the tree-huggers heaven at Westonbirt Arboretum.
If you crave an indulgent hour or two of relaxation combined with holistic therapy, the owner Jo Barry offers in-house Reflexology treatments as jb.therapies; she qualified as a reflexologist in October 2014 and is a member of the Association of Reflexologists and the Complementary & Natural Health Council. So convert your stay into a "mini spa break" & enjoy a reflexology foot / hand massage in restful surroundings - ask for more details on booking.
Top Traveller Review
the loveliest time
We're already dreaming of our next visit...
About the Owner
Simon & I moved to Swanley near Berkeley 17 years ago, having previously lived & worked in Bristol. With our two young children (now 20 & 23) we were looking for a rural idyll, hoping to give the children a fresh air environment but within easy reach of city action as they grew up.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"The cottage is outstanding and one that I could gladly live in. If there was anything to improve our holiday it would have been to be able to stay there permanently :-) Thank you!"
* Drawn form 18 completed questionnaires returned by guests during 2015
4.9 based on 17 holidaymaker reviews
the loveliest time
In short, Simon & Jo are perfect: gracious hosts and helpful guides. They gave us a ton of information about attractions (emphasis on gardens, as that was our reason for our trip to the country) and the apartment itself is *so* comfortable and lovely. Perfectly clean, wonderful layout, great bathroom. The master bed is firm and perfect (worth noting), and everything you could possibly need is already in the kitchen. Do yourself a favor: stay here.
We're already dreaming of our next visit...
Perfect British countryside experience
Jo and Simon have created a perfect oasis for guests. The apartment is very big and comfortable with all the amenities you'd want (except maybe a hair dryer). We bought the optional breakfast package of food which was delightful with eggs and sausage from right here in the farm. We made ourselves a traditional English breakfast including toasted tomatoes and beans and the rest and it was delicious. The beds were very comfortable (a queen and two twins). It's amazingly quiet. Our boys loved having the wii and the enormous selection of DVDs available was super fun. We watched a few old classics we'd missed. We'd come back here in a heartbeat and heartily recommend it for families with two kids. They even flew an American flag for us on their flagpole. How fun!
fantastic apartment in peaceful countryside
The apartment has everything you will need and more,it is very comfortable and spacious with beautiful country views out of every window,it has been furnished to a high standard and has lots of personal touches.
We were very well looked after by the owner's daughter, who gave advice on places to eat,where the nearest shops were and also got the alpacas to come over so we could photograph them!
The apartment is well positioned for trips to Bath, Bristol, Gloucester and Cheltenham as well as smaller picturesque villages.
All in all a fabulous place to relax and recharge your batteries, very highly recommended.
family holiday during Easter period
We had such a comfortable stay at this lovely, warm and clean cottage. Jo and her husband is very friendly and gave us a very warm welcome. The property is well equipped and well maintained,every thing you need is there. The cottage is in a easy accessesible place to other attractions and also has a very nice view. We had a 3 1/2 yr old little girl and Jo has thought abut not only adults even the kid too.
We will highly recommend this place to others and well worth it for the money you spend. Most of all we had a fantastic experience with the farm animals and the two lovely dogs.
Deva & Nisha
Swanley house is a beautiful place. The owners, Jo and Simon, had thought of everything which made the stay so perfect. I would definitely recommend this place. It's a great base to explore the region.
New Year break
A four night visit to family with a new baby nearby. Despite grey, wet and windy weather the accommodation was beautifully warm and welcoming. It is comfortable, very well equipped and immaculately clean. We were made very welcome and fully intend to return in the future.
From the Owner
“Our menagerie of animals started off as one cat who moved with us but over the years we have built up to two dogs, one cat (not the original), three alpacas, a number of egg-producing hens (currently 15 plus a cockerel - generally rehomed ex-battery chickens), two goldfish and occasional rare breed pigs (usually Gloucester Old Spot) which we raise for pork, bacon and sausages. We have loved living here, watching our children grow into adults with an interest in and awareness of rural life.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Birdwatching at Slimbridge - especially at migratory times of the year
Westonbirt Arboretum - especially in the Autumn
Berkeley Castle - battle re-enactments & the August Bank Holiday Show
Cheltenham Races - throughout the year - Gold Cup
Badminton Horse Trials - May
Severn Bore - check tide times through the year
Reflexology - new for 2015 - in house treatments available, please ask for details when booking
Bristol Airport - 45 minutes
Birmingham Airport - 1 hour 15 mins
Bristol Temple Meads / Parkway - 30/20 minutes
The Mall Shopping Centre, Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) - 20 mins
Cabots Circus, Bristol - 30 minutes
Bath (park and ride from near Lansdown racecourse) - 40 mins
Cheltenham Racecourse (Gold Cup etc) - 30 minutes
Swanley is about 5 minutes from Berkeley (Castle & local shops / pubs), 10 minutes from Thornbury (golf & leisure centre), 10 minutes from Cam / Dursley (supermarkets), 20 minutes to Slimbridge (birds), 30 minutes to Westonbirt (trees), 30 minutes to Cheltenham / Badminton (horses)
There are a number of local pubs & restaurants (2 within a mile) worth visiting within a 10/15 minute driving radius. Supermarkets & banks etc. are all within easy reach.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add £10 per night, per additional guest|
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Stay 7 nights for the price of 6 - save £75 (based on 2 people sharing)
Bookings are secured with a 20% deposit & completion of a Booking Confirmation Form.
The balance is payable 10 weeks before arrival.
Payments can be made by cheque or bank transfer.
Changeover day is flexible - arrival would normally be after 3pm and departure by 11am
Notes on prices:
The rental price is for the apartment per night based on two adults sharing - the minimum stay is 2 nights. A small per head charge for extra adults / children. Stay for 6 nights & get the 7th night FREE. The price includes bed linen & bathroom towels & a welcome pack of milk, fruit, eggs & bubbly! Change of linen / towels & interim cleans can be arranged for longer stays at a small extra charge. A Welcome Pack of groceries / local produce can also be ordered in advance - please ask for details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
From the Owner
“Though we're only a couple of miles from the M5 motorway, giving easy access north and south, Swanley is wonderfully off-the-beaten-track, offering great local walks and a number of rural places of interest such as Berkeley, Wotton-under-Edge, Slimbridge & Westonbirt as well as further afield into the Cotswolds. Little Swanley offers a taste of the countryside with the convenience of easy access to other activities which don't involve putting on your wellies!”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Tourist Attractions
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed ...
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- The good sized bathroom overlooks the conservatory at the back of the main house towards open fields. It is fitted with a bath with a shower over, a sink and toilet.
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, 1 Cot
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (1 Bedroom) Notes on bedrooms: The bedroom offers the flexibility of a double plus two singles - one or both of these singles can be moved into the ample living area depending on whether the party comprises 2 adults & 2 children or 4 adults. A travel cot is also available for one baby / toddler.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Notes on accommodation: The apartment is entered through a private door to which guests have sole access. A parking place is allocated to guests for their sole use - access to the apartment front door is down a path to the side of the house. The apartment is centrally heated & the temperature managed by a thermostat in the main living room. The heating is on morning & evening (as is the hot water) but can be boosted on request if needed. We offer a Welcome Pack of groceries - this can be anything from basics for the fridge to a breakfast pack including our own produced bacon, sausages, black pudding, eggs (subject to availability)...please ask for more details. Tea, coffee, sugar, milk, salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a selection of fresh fruit & ½ dozen eggs from our Swanley hens (when available) - all included for your arrival. No smoking in the apartment. Outside: Swanley House itself is in the middle of a 2 acre garden with an orchard, a paddock & a veg patch. Guests are welcome to wander around & visit the animals and maybe feed the pigs & collect some eggs from the hens - but please check with the owners first. There is a private area where guests can sit & relax and maybe even eat outdoors (weather permitting!) Sorry, no pets - we love animals but have too many of our own to accommodate more! Utility Room: The dining area is alongside the kitchen at one end of the large living room (5m x 4m) - this is equipped with a range of crockery, cutlery, glassware & dishes. There is also a CD player & an ipod dock for your entertainment. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen & towels for the bathroom are included. An interim clean / laundry change can be arranged at a small extra charge. Reflexology - book a treatment while you're here!