House in Saint-Sigismond, Maine-et-Loire, Pays de la Loire, France - Peaceful rural idyll, in "venise verte" - area criss crossed by leafy canals in farmland setting
La Maison Rose-The Pink House. You will see why it's called that when you see the sun setting on the creamy exterior of the house turning it pink. Or it could refer to the abundance of roses in the garden - the deep red reflecting off the walls. La Maison Rose is a beautiful ancient house tastefully renovated with modern features without losing charms of the past. Big enough for 8, cosy for 2. Thick walls and shutters keep heat of day out and keep rooms cool even in the hottest weather. Tranquil setting with ancient sights and sounds all around. Le Coudreau is a hamlet surrounded by farmland. The scenery changes with the seasons of the year. Sometimes corn on the cob, sometimes sunflowers. Wild hedgerows are laden with blackberries - pick them and snack to your heart's content. Idyllic for children. To make contact again with the noise of the city, try La Rochelle, only about 45 mins drive away and try many other cities besides, all within striking distance by car.
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful, fabulous pool. Didn't want to leave!Beautiful, fabulous pool. Didn't want to leave!
About the Owner
Roddy and Kate Gordon have owned La Maison Rose for over 10 years.
1 holidaymaker review
Beautiful, fabulous pool. Didn't want to leave!
We had a fabulous time at La Maison Rose. The house was cool, spacious and well equipped and the gardens and pool area perfect for relaxation. Would highly recommend this property for a relaxing break in a charming rural location
From the Owner
“We wanted a house to make into a comfortable and stylish holiday home for us to enjoy and for our children to grow up to remember with fondness. We have added to the house and garden with each passing season so it is hardly recognisable from the original house. Coming from the North East of England convenience of travel really matters so we were looking for a place where we could travel to easily. Travel to Sud Vendée is convenient from anywhere in the UK - North or South- as it is served by so many airlines and regional airports. It is also far enough South to be warm and sunny. We were told before we bought the house that the Vendée has its own micro-climate with more hours sunshine per year than anywhere else in France except the French Riviera. That suited us - hope it suits you too.”
Activity and Interests
Beaches North and South of La Rochelle, e.g. Chatelaillon. Sandy beach with promenade and restaurants, shops etc. This classy French beach resort has interesting architecture and amenities creating the atmosphere of a small town, not just a beach resort. Also sandy beaches at les Sables D'Olonne with life and action, a favourite with children and teenagers, Ile de Ré, an island connected to La Rochelle by a long suspension bridge, all between 45 mins - 1 hr drive. Canals minutes walk from house.
Nearest airports - La Rochelle (35 mins), Poitiers (approx 1 hour), Limoges (approx 1.5 hour), Tours (approx 2.5 hours), Bordeaux (approx 2.5 hours), Paris (approx 4 hours).
Drive from St Malo Ferry Crossing (approx 3.5 hours), Cherbourg (5 hours), Calais (approx 10 hours)
Use of car recommended but keen cyclists can manage locally because the area is flat with beautiful canals, hence name Venise Verte (Green Venice).
Nearest village 1.5 miles, nearest town 8 miles, 3 nearby cities (La Rochelle - 45 mins by car, Niort (25 mins) and Fontenay Le Compte (20 mins).
La Rochelle has beautiful shops, markets, museums and an aquarium. Fontenay is ancient city with Country House. Lots of interesting and attractive places nearby e.g. Rochefort, Poitiers with Futuroscope - 1 hour drive, Valée des Singes (Monkey park) 2 hours drive, Maillezais ruined abbey 10 mins , children's adventure park - 20 mins. Woodlands 20 mins
The whole area is called Venise Verte (Green Venice) because it is criss crossed with green canals (no concrete). There are dozens of landing places where boats can be hired. Punting is a relaxing way to spend a couple of hours. Punt yourself or hire a boatman - either way it is not expensive. Canals are all natural dug from the earth by monks in 16th century. The whole area is flat so perfect for cyclists to cycle alongside the canals.
It is a farming community - the farming is lazy, birdlife is plentiful and it is not unusual to see buzzards and other birds of prey. Otters live in the canals. Dragonflies hover above the water and shimmer shades of green and turquoise. Flowers are phenomenal and amazing colours. Dreamy! Horses trotting along the roads complete the rural picture. There is very little traffic so children (and cyclists!) are safe on the roads.
You don't have far to go to get to the sea or to lively and vibrant cities, museums, art galleries, restaurants, riverboats, children's parks, an aquarium and even a zoo! The sights are very French and very rural. Men and women on bicycles with their daily baguettes in panniers are a common sight. Wizened old men out on a day's shoot are also a common sight. You even see games of Boules.
You will not be confused about what country you are in. No apologies are made for being French. Fetes and celebrations (including a festival of garlic bread!) take place throughout the summer months. There are boulangeries in every village (often more than one). You will quickly get to know your favourite. Most shops are shut on Sundays (some - not all- supermarkets open for a half day on Sundays). Shops usually shut at lunchtime (even the big supermarkets) but stay open later in the day -although there are no 24 hour shops. The French have the work/life balance about right.
French people love to hear people trying their French especially children. It is probably a French equivalent of "'Allo, 'Allo".
- Booking Notes:
Booking- check availability and price then call/email owner to confirm booking. 25% payable on booking, balance due 8 weeks before start of rental. Security deposit of £200 required per booking. Give UK cheque to local housekeeper. It will not be banked unless house left dirty requiring extra cleaning or damaged. In this case cheque will be banked and you will be provided with written explanation/receipts. Any balance will be returned.
Saturday changeover. Arrive after 4pm, depart by 10 am- to allow time for house to be cleaned before next guest.
20% discount will be offered to parties of 2 in May, June & September. 10% discount will be offered to parties of 3 or 4 in those months.
Notes on prices:
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“La Maison Rose is surrounded by glorious nature. What we love best about the house is the garden with its gorgeous flowers, shrubs and trees and the birdsong. The canals are dreamy when the sun dapples through the overhead branches making the water sparkle.”
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Garage ...
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only ...
- wheelchair accessible ...
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet, separate toilet room
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- Bathroom 1 - Shower Enclosure, plus sink
- 2 bathrooms, upstairs and downstairs. Both large. Upstairs bathroom has sink and shower, downstairs has sink, bath (with over bath shower especially useful for children), WC and separate shower. 2 separate wcs. All modern + hygienic.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 2 Single Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, adult sized bunk beds
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 1 bedroom double bed (pink room), 2 twin bedded rooms (yellow & white rooms) 1 room with bunk beds (blue room)- plenty big for adults, fun for children All bedrooms spacious and airy. Hard floors, large windows with shutters, plus safety rails.
- Boat ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Wifii. House faces South so sunny+ bright. Not overlooked, inside or out. Huge windows (all rooms have shutters). The floors are hard (except stairs & landings) so easy to keep clean and do not attract allergens. The bedrooms are all upstairs (stairlift for disabled and elderly) with views over farmland (usually growing corn on cob or sunflowers). Downstairs rooms look onto the garden. The bedrooms are large and the downstairs rooms are spacious with room for sofas, chairs, tables and you can even bring the table tennis table into house if you need some shade. The house will easily accommodate 2 families, everyone with their own space and without climbing over each other. It is centrally heated but has an open fire in the sitting room and a log burner in the dining room but you will not need them even on spring and autumn evenings. Outside: Beautiful mature garden with fruit trees and bushes (apple, fig, kiwi) and flower bushes (roses, hydrangea, red robin and others, names unknown). Mature trees to provide shade. Garden is a riot of colour most months from April to September (inclusive) Outdoor pool and terrace with sun loungers, parasols + table tennis. Pool has roman steps down to make entry + exit easy. Deep enough to swim (not dive) shallow enough to stand in just to cool down. When quiet, swallows swoop down to drink out of the pool. Magic! Pool alarm for safety. Access to pool can be locked (for child safety). Barbecue and outside patio for dining al fresco. Outside dining patio directly outside kitchen so easy to cook and carry outside. Trellis providing shade. Breakfasting outside really reminds you that you are on holiday and dining outside in the evening with just house and pool lights glowing in the dusk is romantic France at its very best. Barns and garage locked (safety untested). Wells locked. Utility Room: Washing machine in. downstairs bathroom. Dryer in arriere Cuisine (back kitchen). Downstairs walk in cupboard for storing coats, shoes etc. Iron,+ ironing board etc stored there. Lots of storage space so you won't need to live out of a suitcase! Bring your own picnic hamper, Zbed and roller skates! Plenty of room! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels not provided. Bedlinen provided, included in price. Property cleaned at beginning of each rental. More can be arranged on request (extra charge). Guests requested to leave property clean at end of rental. Other: Dining room - large (35 m2) with long heavy oak trestle table, benches + chairs. Coffee table + comfy chairs so you can read in peace away from TV. Cabinet with selection of books & games. Music centre. Exposed stone work. Log burner.