Cottage in Saint Aignan, Pontivy, Morbihan, Brittany, France - 2 Bedded Cottage, Great Outdoor Space Overlooking The River Blavet, Child Friendly, Village Setting
Located in the centre of Brittany is the house and cottage that make 'Le Touldren'. We welcome you to enjoy an acre of grounds bordered by the river Blavet. Our gite is on the edge of the popular village of St Aignan. Saint Aignan is set at the bottom end of Lac de Guerlédan, the largest man made lake in Brittany offering water sports, beaches and swimming, woodland walks, cafes and restaurants.
We are ideally situated for walking and cycling, you can explore the wonderful countryside on our doorstep, either strolling along the canal...keep an eye out for kingfishers, rambling through the forests or just into the village for a crepe or your morning baguette, we know routes to suit all abilities and are pleased to share our local knowledge. Close by are places of historic interest such as the 'Forges des salles' and, 'L'Abbey de Bon Repos' offering a Sunday morning market along the banks of the canal from April to end October and a sound and light story of it's history not to be missed if you visit early August. Pontivy, once know as Napoleonville is 20 minutes from us, set along the canal with the Chateau de Rohan, shopping, good restaurants, swimming pool, bowling alley and an award winning chocolate shop. About an hour north or south will bring you to the wonderful coasts Brittany has to offer.
About the Owner
Finola, Kevin and Ailish then aged 6 months, moved to France in 2004 to try a change of lifestyle.
Kevin runs a small thriving company working for the local community both French and expats and I try to keep everything running smoothly.
Ailish is in her final year at school in the village and of course speaks better French than Mum and Dad so if you need to brush up a little she is the perfect teacher!
We have gained a lot of local knowledge and experience over the years, this we are very happy to share for those people looking to discover the great things the countryside around us has to offer, plus the handy little bits of info regarding shop closing times, where to buy fresh milk and where to get the best chocolates!
Guestbook comments from the owner
We don't want to quote anyone, but our favourite comments have been from those who wished their holiday was longer and people who have liked the charm of Le Touldren as much as we do, made the most of the outdoor areas and found it friendly and relaxing.
From the Owner
“Fate must have brought us to the old 'corps de ferme' in Saint Aignan it was the last place on a five year long list and not really what we had in mind, but when Kevin pulled into the courtyard he knew it was the place for him. We were thinking middle of nowhere, complete and wonderful isolation, and that may be so in your own country, but being on the edge of the village has actually helped us survive the differences in culture and lack of support network when we first arrived, without giving up the rural, peaceful lifestyle. The gite & B&B has also allowed us to meet some really interesting people (3 men pulling a canoe on wheels once stopped to ask for water!) Ailish and I love the fact we have so many walks and cycle routes right on our doorstep and are still discovering new ones.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Motorbike and cyclists welcome we have plenty of covered areas for safe storage and can provide a bed & breakfast tariff.
Beaches around Lac de Guerledan, the nearest being a 10 minute drive away is nestled in the forest. The 'Merlin' restaurant here provides snacks and ice creams during the day, boat and pedaloe hire and a lovely terrace overlooking the lake, others at 10-15 minute drive.
The north and south coasts can be reached within 1hr & offer fantastic diversity, long sandy beaches, pebble beaches and dramatic rocky coast lines with small baies dotted here and there great for exploring.
A car or motorbike is essential to get you here, unless you love cycling! We do not have good public transport and are in a fairly rural setting.
Dinard Airport 1hr 30
Brest Airport 1hr 30
Rennes Airport 1hr 30
Nantes Airport 2hr 30
Roscoff ferry port 1hr 50
Saint Malo ferry port 1hr 45
Cherbourg 3hrs 40
We are lucky that our village still has a bar, where you can get fresh bread each day and enjoy a crépe or two, it is a five minute walk from the cottage.
Mur de Bretagne - Cleguerec, 8 - 10 minute drive, both have banks, post office, supermarket, boulangeries etc.
Pontivy - 20 min. drive, market every Monday, château de Rohan, many shops, cafés, supermarkets and restaurants. New swimming pool July 2013
Loudeac - 20 min. drive, outdoor music evenings in summer, swimming/leisure pool with slid
There are many markets, art and music festivals in central Brittany.
L'abbaye de Bon Repos which is just a short drive through the ancient enchanting 'foret de Quénécan' and set on the canal has a market each Sunday morning from the end of March right through to October with a lovely atmosphere in this beautiful setting. Through out the year they have art exhibitions in the abbey. In August there is a 'son et lumiére' production held in front of the abbey, telling the history of the abbey in spectacular style. The interesting hotel restaurant here is worth a stop too.
You can even hire a donkey, from a local young French couple, to carry the children or your lunch if you want to explore the area more on foot.
Horse riding stables are a 10 minute walk from the cottage, down the canal and offer riding for all ages and abilities, Ailish has lessons there and finds it a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
We have a superb 1 star Michelin restaurant in nearby Mur de Bretagne that is perfect for a special treat.
Other towns of interest include Josselin, Quintin, Lamballe, Auray and on the coast Vannes, Dinan and lots of others are worth a day out too.
Fishing is very popular be it on the canals, rivers or on Lac de Guerledan and Kevin can point you in the right direction for good places to try and permits etc.
We have some bicycles for use and plenty of room to store your own if you wish to bring them.
There is a tennis court in the village with nets and goals for ball games and behind is a little off road bike course which the kids can loose energy round.
Bikes can also be hired at a couple of places around the lake as can boats and canoes.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
4 Sep 2016 - 5 Nov 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We require a £100.00 non refundable deposit to confirm reservations and the balance up to one month before arrival. Please see our website for further details or do not hesitate to contact us.
Arrival time is from 4pm and we ask that guests leave by 11am on their day of departure.
Arrival days and length of stays are flexible so please discuss any requirements with us and we will do our best to accommodate them as we offer B&B as well..
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“There are routes for every level of cyclist or walker, as we are by the canal this offers lovely flat routes along the tow paths but climb out of the village in the other direction and rambling & forest treks abound. Being on the edge of the village allows guests the chance everyday to sample a bit of French village life without the car, walk to the bar for bread, a café or a crepe & find out what is going on locally. The river location also makes a fantastic spot for seeing the odd kingfisher, woodpecker or even a stoat & mink, or coypu along the canal. Dragonflies & butterflies in the warmer months, & chance to fish from the garden. The courtyard is busy with bees, humming bird moths & if lucky a glow worm. With the covered outdoor space & games room even rainy days will be enjoyed.”
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs Toilet. Bathrooms with shower, sink and toilet on 1st and 2nd floors so each bedroom has its own facilities both with opening windows. Baby bath available. All rooms have quality electric heaters for cooler months.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: On the first floor is a lovely large double bedded room with ancient fireplace, exposed beams and comfy sleigh bed - the second floor has a character twin bedded room -both rooms can accommodate a cot or 'z' bed comfortably for extra children.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The cottage has efficient electric heaters and is therefore available for use all year round. Out of high season the electric is charged at cost where appropriate, sometimes September can be fantastic! Outside: The cottage leads on to the pretty courtyard with room to unpack your car right outside. One of the big beautiful old barns is a games room, with table tennis, pool and table foot which has large doors opening onto the courtyard. There is a covered area we call the 'hangar' also overlooking the courtyard which traps the evening sunshine making it the perfect place for evening drinks and BBQs, this leads out to a garden area which is sympathetically fenced off so you can enjoy the views of the river but know the children are safely contained. Here you will find the boules pitch, swings and tree platform offering shade or full sun as you wish and plenty of room for outdoor eating or simply relaxing. Beyond is the rest of the garden and wildlife the river attracts for you to enjoy. There is a swing near the river for the summer months which the children love but must be accompanied, paddling place and hens who in return for your left over baguette should provide you with and egg or two! Utility Room: Outside in the wash house is a large freezer for guests to use, washing machine, tumble dryer, airers and a washing line in the garden. You will also find children’s outside toys, pram and boules in here. An Iron and board can be provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: We provide all bedding and towels, saving you room in you car or reducing your luggage if you plan to fly. Beds are made up ready for your arrival and more towels can be requested as and when required. We ask that guests leave the cottage as they find it