6 Bedroom 3+ bath Brittany Farmhouse in in Cotes D'Armor. Wow factor Indoor swimming pool, Clay tennis court, Garden in glorious peaceful location
La Haute Haye is a unique renovated traditional farmhouse situated in a pretty hamlet between the Brittany villages of St Jacut du Mene and Langourla (jazz festival in August) in the picturesque Cotes d'Armor (Breton for 'by the sea'). Under 1 hour to St Malo ferry and Dinard airport. Close to beautiful and clean beaches (approx 35 mins and huge variety within 50 min drive along Emerald Coast - various beaches and coves). Local attractions golf, horse riding, sailing, visiting Dinard, Dinan, Lamballe (Haras National), Jugon les Lacs and medieval Moncontour. Plenty for the family to do including teenagers with generous indoor heated pool, clay tennis court and 4 bikes or just walking around the beautiful voies vertes or enjoying local weekly markets and sunny evening barbecues. Rediscover the real joys of holidays in the beautiful setting of northern Brittany with its mild climate and magical tranquillity. La Haute Haie is a happy house in which to spend your precious holiday time.
Top Traveller Review
Delightful holiday retreat
About the Owner
Owner Helen Garlick lives in Hampstead, London, England with 3 children ranging from 25 to 16 years. After a number of years searching for a dream French home, she was lucky enough to find La Haute Haye in 2012.
Guestbook comments from the manager
'A great holiday! We've all relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. The beautiful pool has been well used and our tennis has improved (slightly!) Late October sunshine saw us paddling in the sea in Cap Frehel followed by delicious 'moules et frites' in Erquy (Quai West) overlooking the harbour - sheer bliss. The house is wonderful - 3 generations have been more than comfortable - lots and lots of very happy family memories. Thank you.
Utting family 26 October - 2 November 2013
'What a great way to spend Xmas!! The house has all the advantages'. Brown family 21-28 December 2013
'Gorgeous house with lots of space in and outdoors. Very relaxing week had by all. Enjoyed the gorgeous beaches. We loved the house - very well stocked, not lacking anything at all, so many, many thanks for having us all!'
The Richardson party 24-31 August 2013 Kelsall, Cheshire
5 based on 7 holidaymaker reviews
Delightful holiday retreat
We have had a wonderful relaxing week at La Haute Haye. Following a very easy quiet drive from St Malo, the children had great fun exploring the house and we all fell in love with the pool! We tried boules and croquet as well as plenty of 'have a go tennis'. The welcome hamper was thoughtfully put together and thoroughly enjoyed ( though a second bottle of milk would have been useful! ) Our trip to Dinan was great - there is a little flea market one afternoon a week too. The old cobbled streets were beautiful, and the shops varied and interesting - accompanied by the sound of French accordian playing. We could easily have visited more places but were quite happily occupied with everything at La Haute Haye, as it really does lend itself as a complete retreat! Only point to note - the children's bedroom at the top of the house has no curtains/blinds so is very bright, but not a problem for us as we did not need to use all the bedrooms. All in all a fabulous, clean, spacious and very pretty house which we would 100% recommend to others!
Great time had by all !
Three generations of our family stayed for two weeks at La Haute Haye this August, and had such a relaxing time.
We made full use of the indoor pool and tennis court, as well as the spacious garden, mountain bikes and well equipped kitchen.
The house accommodated all eleven of us more than comfortably, and it was so nice to know that the housekeepers are just a few minutes away.
We are a family that likes to cook and sit around the table, the kitchen is perfect for this-although we did use the fish and chip van in Langourla on Saturday, AND the pizza van on Wednesday, both of which are worth a visit.
We ventured out to several places, the highlight of which was Mont St Michel, but Dinnaird, Dinan and Lamballe should all be on your list.
A special mention to Helen , the owner, who has been most helpful at all times.
I would recommend to any large group of friends/family
Amazing family holiday
Superb property accommodating 12 of us from age 3-70. The farmhouse was clean and bright and had everything we needed to cater for 12 each day. We used the Boulangerie in Collinee each morning to collect bread and pastries for breakfast, however it was closed on the Wednesday. We ate out the first night at The Magic Cauldron in Moncontour which was very good; superb food, reasonable prices and lovely service. However there is a fish and chip van on a Saturday night in either Collinee or Langourla which we would have used if known about before we arrived. We had two trips to Dinard for the beach which the children enjoyed, a trip to Dinan, Le Mont Saint Michel which is a must and the market in Lamballe on Thursday morning. We had wonderful weather for 5 out of 7 days so managed 2 barbeques. All in all a terrific holiday enjoyed by all.
Great family holiday
We stayed in La Haut Haye for one week with our family from grandparents to grandchildren. Great accommodation, beautiful countryside and the kids had a great time in the pool!
The location is also great to travel to from the south of England, the farmhouse is 90 minutes from the St Malo-Portsmouth ferry.
The Perfect Place
For a start it's worth mentioning the owner, Helen. Even before we booked she was always at the end of the phone to answer any questions about the location, travel arrangements and facilities at the property.
When we confirmed she posted out a contract and directions to the property - all very reassuring for any first time OwnersDirect users.
The place itself is difficult to fault. There is nothing in easy walking distance but the place has a great indoor pool, tennis court, bbq and even a set of mountain bikes that suit most sizes/ages.
Inside the furnishing is modern and of a high standard. Two large en-suite rooms & two more doubles are on the first floor with another couple of rooms up another spiral stair case.
There's a big supermarket about 15min drive away where you can get anything under the sun. The kitchen is plenty big enough to cater for and seat 12.
An English couple a few miles away look after the property in France. They were also great, cutting the grass (twice in a week) and helping us out when one of the kids managed to trip a fuse.
All in all a great holiday at a great place and friendly, helpful people.
A great holiday was had by all!
Having read the description of the house we were all looking forward to our holiday (there were 14 of us ranging from 5 months to 63 years!). The house was everything that the web site said and more. Despite the 'mixed' weather we all had a great time - the pool came into it's own when the weather was not at it's best. The accommodation is beautiful yet 'robust' so we weren't forever following the younger ones around for fear they would break something fragile.
In summary, a beautiful, extremely well appointed house, an excellent location. Despite it's remoteness, there is easy access by car to some great locations and some excellent restaurants for leisurely lunches. We certainly plan to return!
From the Owner
“La Haute Haye provides a wonderful setting for a holiday all year round. Winters spent by the cosy fire with the luxury of a swim in the heated indoor pool. Spring when the beautiful Brittany countryside really starts coming into its own with the forests bursting into green life. Summer is time to explore the beaches, go sailing, savour seafood of local speciality coquilles st jacques. Autumn is often the best time of year with long sunny days and the fruits of the year to enjoy. The mild temperate climate enables you to enjoy barbecues in the longer sunny evenings from March to November. Enjoy!”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Further special interest holidays can be arranged for groups also including the gites nearby La Haute Haye (each sleep 4/5) for larger groups with horse riding, pottery classes and sailing all nearby.
Please contact Helen Howard for details and/or to have a chat about possibilities.
Erquy and Pleneuf Val Andre are the nearest beaches (40 mins) with wide sandy clean beaches and nearby sailing/fishing ports. Fabulous seafood restaurants. Visits to St Brieuc, Binic and Portieux St Quay popular with Parisiens are also within very easy reach (45 mins drive.) Dinard is a must see (40 mins) with its statue of Alfred Hitchcock, beautiful beaches and coves, seaside restaurants and cafes, grand houses and hotels.
St Malo ferry 77km 1 hour's drive
NB Our membership of Brittany Ferries provides guests with 10% discount. Please ask for information.
Dinard airport under 1 hour's drive
Roscoff ferry 100 mins
Rennes airport 2 Hours
Lamballe Train Station 25 minutes (access to TGV)
Ferries to Caen/Cherbourg/Le Havre around 3 hours - 10% discount for Brittany ferries available please ask.
Paris 3 hours
Use of car or car hire recommended.
Nearest villages approx 2 1/2 miles Langourla and St Jacut du Mene.
Collinee (3 miles) provides all of your local needs with boulangerie, Carrefour, banking, bars and beauty parlours.
Moncontour is designated one of France's prettiest villages (20 mins) and is a must see with its medieval Chaudron Magique (Magic Cauldron) restaurant, theatre costume museum and cobbled streets in its delightful hilltop setting.
Lamballe with its national stud (Haras National) for working horses (25 mins).
Please see welcome pack at La Haute Haye which provides all the additional information you will need.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£350|
Please contact us by email or telephone to enquire whether your preferred dates are available. Heating of indoor pool included May - September. Outside those periods pool heating (if wanted) is £100 per week extra.
25% deposit plus £350 security deposit payable on booking to secure your dates. Balance of 75% 2 calendar months before holiday start date.
Security deposit will be returned 7 days following the end of the holiday if not required in accordance with rental agreement conditions.
Changeover day is Saturday although out of high season we may be flexible - please contact us to discuss your requirements. Departure by 10.00 am. Arrival time 4pm (to allow for cleaning).
Notes on prices:
25% deposit plus £350 security deposit payable on booking to secure your dates. Balance of 75% to be paid 2 calendar months before holiday start date.
Prices shown in £ sterling. Contact us for Euro pricing.
Security deposit will be returned within 7 days of the end of the holiday following inspection.
To secure your booking, 25% of the cost of the holiday plus a security deposit of £350 is payable. The balance of 75% of the cost of the holiday must be paid 2 calendar months before the start of the holiday.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“La Haute Haye is we believe unique in the Cotes D'Armor area with its wow factor indoor heated pool and professional standard clay tennis court. Pool and tennis court available May-September. It is easy to get to from the UK whether by ferry to St Malo (l1 hour's drive) or Dinard airport (again 1 hour away) so you arrive still fresh after your journey rather than slogging over miles of unknown Franch countryside! Its peaceful rural setting in a tucked away hamlet provides an ideal base to get away from it all whilst having the amazing Brittany beaches, golf courses and other attractions within less than an hour's drive. Magical setting near the river Rance and the Forest of Bocquen.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Ceiling Fans
- Fireplace ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- gambling casinos
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Family Bathroom - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- En suite bathroom - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Cloakroom - Toilet
- Swimming pool shower room - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Swimming pool loo - Toilet
- En-suite bathroom to master bedroom with shower. En-suite bathroom to bedroom 2 with shower and bath. Third family bathroom with bath/shower. Cloakroom and further shower/toilet/changing room next to indoor pool.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 13
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: First floor. Master bedroom en-suite: 1 dble + single bed. Bedroom 2 en-suite 1 double bed. Bedrooms 3 and 4 each with double beds. Family bathroom. (Travel cot in addition) 2nd floor. Bedroom 5: 2 single twin beds. Bedroom 6 (interconnecting) 1 sofa be
- Golf ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Information packs of attractions, places of interest, beach resorts, restaurants etc. are provided and there is a welcome hamper on arrival. The second floor rooms are ideal for children however have restricted ceiling heights and no radiators (electric heaters provided). The remainder of the property has high ceilings and underfloor heating and there are radiators in the upstairs bedrooms (oil central heating). The indoor pool is heated (separate oil fired boiler) with a built in dehumidifier. Our local housekeepers (English/French speakers) can assist with any queries you have. The house is in a peaceful and quiet location surrounded by mature trees and a large 2 plus acre garden. It has plenty of parking in a courtyard area to the front. The house fronts on to a local rural road however it is rare to see any traffic (2 vehicles a day on average!) and the courtyard is gated and safe. The property is non smoking. Note that children will need to be supervised at all times. Outside: Tennis court (enclosed) with umpire seat. Two patio areas with outdoor tables, chairs and barbecue. The garden is generous with lawned areas, separate field, vegetable plots and outdoor seating. Two children’s swings in the garden. Ample parking (5 plus cars) is on a private courtyard in front of the house and there are also 2 further parking areas in front of the house at the side of the road. The courtyard is fenced off from the road. Private indoor heated pool within cathedral height converted barn for your sole use with mezzanine gallery overlooking the pool (12m x 3m). Patio/French doors open from the pool on to the courtyard. Utility Room: Separate utility room with Bosch washing machine, tumble-drier, drying area. Separate outdoor drying facilities. Boiler for heating (underfloor). Cupboards and cleaning materials. Iron/ ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen provided and changed weekly. Towels provided at extra charge. Additional cleaning by local housekeeper can be arranged by request. Gardening included. Pool maintenance also included. Other: Indoor heated swimming pool in pool room 17.5m x 5m. Separate seating areas downstairs plus mezzanine gallery area overlooking pool, each with table/ four chairs. Double aspect French windows opening onto courtyard. Children must be supervised.