Villa in Maureillas-Las Illas,near Ceret, Pyrenees Orientales, Languedoc-Roussillon, France - The Villa Lies In A Wild Area, Sunny And Peaceful All Year Long And Yet, Not Far From The Coast Etc.
The stone house lies in a wild countryside of meadows and forests of chestnut trees and evergreen oaks. Perched on a high hill, it has magnificent views of the mountains to the South and West and is always bathed in sunshine. In the adjacent village of La VAJOL( 5mns , drive from the house), there are three restaurants and a small groceries. A road leads into Spain where you can visit the little picturesque villages at a radius of 5 to 6 kms. The beaches (both French and Spanish) are 45mns. drive away.The house offers all the peace of the hills and yet, is only 20mns. drive from the towns of Maureillas in France and La Junquera in Spain. Thus, you can enjoy exploring 2 different countries and visit both the Museum of Modern Art in Ceret and the Museum of Salvador Dali in Figueras. Two major hiking trails go through Las Illas, following the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean by well marked paths (GR 10 and GR 11) It is ideal for walkers and lovers of Nature.
Top Traveller Review
La Maureilles .
About the Owner
Roger Frances, the owner, and his wife Maribel, have bought the house about 10 years ago.We have arranged and renewed it with the will of keeping its old rural characteristics.We live in Perpignan, capital of the Roussillon, and enjoy the house on the weekends, for long walks in the natural forest or boating on the seashore. We are very sociable and hospitable people and appreciate to see their hosts happy and comfortable. As I only speak French and Spanish, it's my cousin : Sacha, who is in charge of dealing with his English speaking customers.
Guestbook comments from the owner
A perfect place for resting and enjoying totally the peace of nature .
Siestas under the trees in the garden, walks through the forest, games in the swimming pool and in the marvellous big garden with its terraces . We have spent a wonderful time, warmly welcomed by delicious owners . An ideal place to spend holidays with friends or family . Sophie H. Caen, Calvados .
4.5 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
We had a fabulous break staying at this property with our two boys. The house was lovely and spacious, set in stunning scenery with a great pool fed by a local Spring. The owners were most helpful meeting us at a local village to initially guide us to the property, provided maps and local information on the area and were only a phone call away throughout our stay.
Yes, the house is pretty isolated, nestled higher up than most in the Pyrenees, but this just adds to the charm and privacy of the property, yet only ten minutes drive away is the village of La Vajol offering 3 restaurants and the large supermarkets of La Jonquera are only 20 mins away.
The location is great for visiting the local areas of both France and Spain and we even managed a day trip to Barcelona. This is a perfect place to get away from it all - so serene and peaceful and certainly very worthy of a return visit!
La Maureilles .
We were two families consisting of Grandparents, children a grandchild and two dogs. We had a fantastic stay.The property provided us with the privacy and amenities we sought. It was clean and tidy.The swimming pool is fed by spring water and again lovely and clean The hosts were welcoming and incredibly helpful before and during the holiday.We were advised by the owners it was an isolated location and difficult to find and so met us and showed us the way. Despite its isolated and peaceful location the motorway is about 20 mins away and allows easy access to other areas;we were able to take day trips to Barcelona and Carcassone. Would recommend La Maureilles.
A superb place to escape to for a week or two. Stunning location and excellent accommodation. The main living area is especially spacious with high ceilings and a log fire if it gets too cold. The property is well equipped and the owner is extremely helpful and anxious to make his guests feel at home.
House in Maureillas-Las Illas
If you are looking for a quite break away from it all this is it. A comfortable base with plenty of good walks readily available. The owners are friendly, helpful and located just the right distance away. Nothing interfered with two weeks wonderful relaxation in the sun on the terraces or in the pool which has a great view across the wooded slopes. The nearest convenient shopping is just across the border into Spain where they mostly speak French as well as Spanish/Catalan. Definitely a place worth returning to.
From the Owner
“We have bought the house in this specific area because we love its qualities of wildness, sun and quietness, together with its strategic situation in North Catalunya, not far from the Mediterranea and Barcelona . We appreciate the isolation and calm, the contact with nature, the beautiful view on the mountain, overlooking Spain . It's also a perfect base to discover and explore the wonderful region around it.”
Activity and Interests
A wide variety of beaches, from tiny coves along the rocky coast to modern resorts with water slides and games ...Collioure, Cadaques and Port-Vendres are famous for fish restaurants, wines, anchovies and artists' studios and exhibitions .Large sandy beaches can be found in Argelès (France), or Rosas (Spain).
Fresh water swimming and boating may be found on the lakes of Boadella or St Jean-Pla-de-Corts.
Cars are essential and can be hired at the airport. The nearest airport is Perpignan : 41kms .
Céret : 19kms ; Argelès : 32kms ; Le Boulou : 12kms ; StJean-Pla-de-Corts :17kms ; Amélie-les-Bains : 29kms ; Perpignan : 41kms ; Figuères : 41kms ; Cadaqués :73kms ; Gerona : 75kms ; Barcelone : 170kms .
This part of Catalunya is famous for its thermal springs and spas, such as the ones in Le Boulou, Amèlie-les Bains or La Preste (France), which welcome and cure people from all over Europe .
It is also renowned for its vineyards and its delicious wines : Côtes du Roussillon, Maury, Corbières, Banyuls, Rivesaltes and many others...that you will have the pleasure to discover in the many wineries or "caves" of small typical villages .
You must not miss the very lively local markets (the nearest, in Céret takes place on Saturdays; in Figueras, on Thursdays), where local producers sell their cheeses, honey, jams, anchovies, ham and saucissons,organic fruit and vegetable and other local products . Local fishermen also sell their fish, shellfish, oysters of the day in Port-Vendres or StCyprien .
Catalunya is a gastronomic paradise where you can match local dishes and wines in the many great restaurants both in Spain and France . We can give you all the information about the best restaurants known only by the locals .
Café society is vibrant in Ceret, focusing on Bar Pablo (Picasso), where it is wonderful to sit under the centuries old plane trees, with the locals and have a beer or coffee and watch the world go by. The area is also a haven for wildlife and especially birds like pink flamingos in the coastal lakes, eagles, owls, woodpeckers and hoopoes in the garden. The coastal strip is great for migrating birds of all sorts. The area has fantastic walks - in the hills, along the coastal paths, around lakes, past prehistoric dolmens, Roman churches and through vineyards. The area is known for it's special light which has attracted many artists over the years, Ceret houses some of Picasso's works in it's Museum of Modern Art andthe Dali's Museum is in Figueras. Collioure has it's Artist's Trail, so that you can walk in the footsteps of Matisse, Dufy, Derain, Matisse and others . .
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
28 Aug 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
Your booking is confirmed, when we confirm to you that we have received your deposit of 30% of the total amount together with details of the dates you wish to visit the house. The remaining 70% is payable 10 weeks before the start of your holiday. We hope that smokers will only smoke on the terrace, and not in the rest of the garden, because of the danger of starting a fire.
A deposit of 500 € is asked for on arrival as a guarantee to cover the repairs in case of damage or loss.
Changeover day is on Saturdays . We request guests to leave the house clean , and to be gone by 9.30 to 10 a.m, to allow us the time to clean before the new arrivals at 4p.m. All bed linen and towels should be collected together and left downstairs.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The house is situated on 3,5 acres of land with terraces, meadows and forests. The quality of the air is excellent, as well as the quality of the spring water, really delicious to drink . During the summer, while most people on the coast suffer from the heat, we have wonderful nights of good sleep thanks to the coolness of the air up in the hills . We can also admire the stars and moonshine in the evenings .”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Ground floor : a bathroom with a shower, a washbasin and separate toilets . First floor :En-suite large bathroom with nice bathtub, a washbasin and separate toilets .
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Ground floor : one bedroom with a double bed, 3 windows and cupboards ; one bedroom with a double bed , one window and a wardrobe ; one big bedroom with 2 single beds, 2 windows and a cupboard . First floor : one bedroom with a double bed, a window .
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: We have a telephone in the house. All rooms in the house have wonderful views over the hills. All rooms have central heating or wood burning stove . The house is on 2 floors : ancient tiles on the ground floor and wooden floor boards on the first and second floor . Three bedrooms, a bathroom and separate toilets, utility room on the ground floor . On the first floor : living room, kitchen and cellar; a bedroom with its bathroom and separate toilets .The garden is accessible via the ground and first floor . Outside: The house is extremely peaceful and private. The garden surrounds the house and gently merges into the hills with a private outdoor pool. It has steps at the shallow end (3 feet) and is deepest in the middle. The pool has unbelievable 180 degree views stretching for miles, and only one other house in view! Meadow surrounds the pool area, with occasional clumps of chestnut trees or evergreens . Sun loungers may be placed in full sun . We have a table, seating 10 on the terrace. All around the house are natural terraces with lawn, perfect for children playgrounds .Tarmac parking for 2 or 3 cars . Nice forest of chestnut trees by the house, giving freshness in the heat of summers, with playing squirrels and birds Utility Room: We have a washing machine, iron, ironing board, hoover, cleaning materials, clothes pegs and all other things needed to keep the house. There is a washing line with a wonderful view outside. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bath and hand towel per person and all bed and kitchen linen is provided. The house and outside areas will be clean and tidy on your arrival and should be in the same condition on your departure. Other: Nice little porch with barbecue sheltered from the wind ; Large wooden terrace (30ms2) with a large wooden dining table ,chairs and sun loungers that can be placed anywhere in the garden. Smaller wooden terrace also facing South with table and chairs.