4 bedroom 3 bathroom longere set in tranquil countryside near Richelieu, South of the Loire, ideally located for visits to Loire Chateaux and vineyards.
Set in the rolling French countryside, style and quality are the hallmarks of this sympathetically restored Nineteenth Century farmhouse. Packed with period features and a wealth of beams, Le Roitelet is one of only half a dozen holiday properties in the Department with a French Tourist Board ****NN rating.
Focal points of this centrally heated and double-glazed house, furnished with a blend of comfortable modern furniture and antiques, are the truly enormous fully-fitted kitchen/breakfast/dining room and the large, comfortable salon, with original working open stone fireplace, adjacent to it. The lounge houses a TV with a UK satellite service as well as CD and DVD players with a wide choice of CDs and DVDs suitable for adults and children alike.
The ground floor is completed by a large library/hall with an extensive choice of books and board games and a utility room with a washing machine and dryer which also houses the garden furniture, a range of outdoor games and 4 mountain bikes for the exclusive use of guests.
The first floor is accessed by a wooden staircase from the lounge. Four bedrooms, all on the first floor, consist of 2 large bedrooms at either end of the house with king size beds and en suite bathrooms (full size bath, shower over, washbasin and lavatory) and 2 twin rooms, one with additional bunks. The family bathroom (full size bath with shower over and wash basin) and separate lavatory complete the upstairs facility.
Guests are provided with the highest quality down bedding as well as sumptuous bath towels. All bedlinen and towels are provided, including pool towels.
The house is called a "longere" because every ground floor room has direct access to the terrace, which is ideal for sunbathing during the day and perfect for barbecues in the evening.
The long terrace and extensive garden laid mainly to lawn with a number of mature trees, with an abundance of shade, is surrounded by high stone walls affording total privacy.
A heated above ground timber swimming pool is located in the corner of the walled garden and there is a small ornamental pond, where water lilies grow in profusion.
There is a private parking area, suitable for up to 4 vehicles, as well as another small lawn, at the rear of the house.
The country location, well away from any busy roads, is ideal for cycling, rambling or simply chilling out, with easy access to superb restaurants, popular towns and the famous Loire chateaux and vineyards.
About the Owner
We live in deepest Worcestershire part of the year and spend the rest of the time at our home in France.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Le Roitelet, located in a beautiful location, was a wonderful place to stay.....My friends and I could not have asked for a better place as a base to do our touring of the Loire....The interior is very well maintained, but gives a welcoming feeling. In other words, you don't feel uneasy sitting on a chair, or using the fireplace. For those who enjoy cooking, the kitchen is well stocked. Everything is handy....If you're looking for a quiet place from which to launch day excursions, I think you can't miss with Le Roitelet..Simply stated, this place was outstanding" Ed, July 2012.
"Relaxing country vacation. The house is located within easy driving distance of many of the Loire Valley's beautiful chateaux and abundant vineyards - a winning combination!....I would highly reccommend this property for families who are looking for a comfortable spot to relax with children, and to groups of friends who want to explore the Loire Valley." Marcia, July 2012.
From the Owner
“John is the retired President and Director General of a company based in Tours. Because of this, we both spent much time in hotels in the area. We bought our property at Malabry in 1986 as a more congenial alternative to "living out of a suitcase". Since then we have come to love the area for its peace, tranquility and unspoilt countryside, not to mention the excellent restaurants and vineyards in the area! When one of the four houses in the hamlet came on the market, it seemed natural to buy it, despite its ruined state. Three long years later, all our hard work paid off when a beautiful family home emerged from the ruins, and we were one of only six holiday homes in the Department to be awarded 4 Gites de France Epis as well as a prestigious Tourist Board 4 star rating.”
Activity and Interests
River bathing at Pouzay and an extensive water sports facility at Moncontour are both within half an hour's drive.
The coast is around a 2 hours' drive to the West at La Rochelle.
As Le Roitelet is situated in the heart of the countryside, a car is essential. For guests driving to the house, Caen (Brittany Ferries) is the nearest port, (3h 20min), followed by Le Havre, 4 hours, and Cherbourg, 5 hours.
(Guest discount available from Brittany Ferries via owners.) Closest airports are Tours and Poitiers (Ryan Air), both 45 mins drive, and the nearest TGV stations are St Pierre des Corps (Tours) and Chatellerault, both 45 mins drive. Car hire at both airports and stations.
Le Roitelet is 6 km away from the historic walled town of Richelieu, constructed by Cardinal Richelieu, with an ancient market hall and famous Chateau Park. 7kms away is Monts sur Guesnes with an active theatre and shops. Within a 30 mins drive, are the popular towns of Chinon, with its recently restored castle and ramparts, and the cosmopolitan city of Saumur. Most Loire Valley Chateaux and Vineyards can be reached within an hour. The Futuroscope theme park is a 45 mins drive.
The towns of Richelieu and Loudun (12kms) both have banks, supermarkets, pharmacies, bakers and other specialist shops. Both hold weekly markets, Richelieu on a Monday morning and Loudun on a Tuesday morning. Chinon and Thouars also hold weekly markets. Guests lucky enough to be here on the first Monday of every month can visit the amazing market of Lencloitre, where everything from tractors to corsets can be purchased. Local produce, such as melons, asparagus, honey and goats' cheese can all be purchased direct from the producers. The property is surrounded by fishing lakes, and there are public swimming pools at Richelieu and Loudun, where tennis is also available. There are two local Pony Treking outlets. Cyclists and ramblers are well catered for most notably by the famous Ligne Verte (converted railway track) which can be picked up at Monts sur Guesnes. Guests have access to a number of excellent restaurants, notably Le Relais de Deux Provinces, just 2kms up the road at Pouant, Le Ricordeau in Loudun and Le Relais du Chateau at Oiron. Italian restaurants at Richelieu and Loudun are also popular with guests, and, during the summer, almost every bar offers a range of simple meals. The Loire chateaux are very popular with visitors. Our favourites are Usse, where "Sleeping Beauty" is said to have been set, and Chenonceaux. There is also the delightful little Chateau du Riveau just down the road to Chinon, with fairy tale garden statues, very popular with children. Wine lovers are spoilt for choice in this area. We are very fond of the Loire reds, lighter than Bordeaux reds and ideal for drinking chilled in the summer. Whilst there are many commercial wine merchants, we prefer to buy our wine from small family-owned vineyards and are happy to provide guests with details of our favourites. During the summer, every town has its own local fair, some based on local produce, others on bric a brac, others just as an excuse to have a good time with friends.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
17 Dec 2016 - 13 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
During the high season, changeover day is Saturday, with a departure time of 10am and an arrival time of 5pm (local times). Bookings can only be taken on a weekly basis.
Out of season, variations to start days may be possible, although a 7 night let is the minimum.
Notes on prices:
Prices are inclusive of electricity, central heating, pool heating, logs, as well as all household linen and towels (including pool towels).
High quality bed linen is provided and duvets and pillows are down filled: beds are made on arrival and changed on the middle Saturday of a 2 - week stay.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We still vividly remember the summer day when we first saw our French house. We had been looking "on and off" for two years and been disappointed by so many houses which, on viewing, turned out to fall far short of the estate agent's description. As we saw the front of the house for the first time, we both said "This is the one", and we have never regretted it!”
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool ...
- Events Allowed
- children welcome ...
- pets not allowed
- smoking allowed ...
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- golf pass optional
- 260 m²
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Toilet 2 - Toilet, Situated in the hall on the ground floor
- Bathroom 6 - Outdoor Shower, Solar shower by the pool.
- 3 bathrooms, two en-suite to the king size rooms with full size bath with shower over, hand basin and WC, family bathroom with full size bath with shower over and hand basin, separate WC, downstairs cloakroom with WC and hand basin: jumbo towels provided.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 4 Single Bed, Two of the beds are bunk beds.
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (4 Bedrooms) + cot Notes on bedrooms: Two very large en-suite bedrooms with king size beds, two twin bedded rooms, one with additional bunk beds. All bedrooms are fully carpeted and furnished with wardrobes, dressing tables and bedside drawers, as a minimum. The two king size rooms additionally have sofas and coffee tables. Quality bed linen is provided and beds are made on arrival. For 2 week stays, bed linen and towels are changed on the middle Saturday
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Tennis ...
- 1 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: Le Roitelet is a very large house, with 260 sq m of space on two floors, which has been restored as a spacious family home, rather than as a holiday let. With four large rooms on the ground floor, there is plenty of space for a range of activities with no danger of guests "tripping over" each other. On the first floor, the two spacious en-suite bedrooms with kingsize beds are situated at opposite ends of the corridor, with the two twin rooms, family bathroom and WC in between, making the house ideal for two families or a group of friends sharing. As the first floor was used to store hay in the Nineteenth Century, there is inevitably restricted access near the eaves. Because of restricted space above the top bunk, the house is better suited to nine, although it may be possible to accommodate ten, depending on the ages of the guests. The house is fully double glazed with electric central heating throughout the house, making it cool in the summer months and warm and cosy in winter. Outside: Le Roitelet is south-facing, with a terrace running the 22m length of the house, bathed in sunlight throughout the day, making it ideal for sunbathing during the day and for barbecues in the evening (a large family sized charcoal barbecue is provided). Shade is provided by a number of mature trees in the extensive, secure garden, surrounded by high stone walls, which is laid mainly to lawn, with flower beds and an ornamental pond. (Small children require supervision, and a temporary plastic barrier is provided for the use of guests.) A garden table and chairs for 12 is located in the centre of the terrace with a large 3m parasol, and 8 upholstered adjustable sun loungers as well as 2 sun beds are available. The 6m x 4m above-ground private heated swimming pool snuggles in the corner of the walled garden, with removable external steps for added security. A solar-heated shower is situated close to the pool. 4 mountain bikes are provided, as well as a range of outdoor games. Utility Room: The utility room contains a sink, washing machine, tumble dryer, cordless iron, ironing board, external and internal clothes dryers as well as a range of garden furniture and loungers. Four mountain bikes and a range of outdoor games are provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Quality bed linen and towels (including pool towels) are all provided within the inclusive price and are changed every Saturday. The house is cleaned before and after each group of guests and, the pool is cleaned as required, at least twice a week. Other: The large vestibule at the entrance houses a cloakroom with WC and hand basin as well as a collection of books and indoor games. A tourist information centre provides guests with comprehensive information on places of interest and local events.