Villa in Celles, Nr. Riberac, Dordogne, Aquitaine, France - Peaceful Rural Location, Within Easy Touring Distance Of Many Wonderful Sights
With superb views, a private pool, delightful gardens and its own woods and wild flower meadow, Margnac is a perfect rural retreat in which to unwind and explore the Dordogne's legendary food and culture. Enjoy a glass of chilled Bergerac on the vine-covered terrace or dine alfresco in the barbecue area near the pool. Indoors, the house is cosy, bright and airy. Light floods into the L-shaped sitting room, dining room and kitchen through the line of French windows that lead to the terrace. The sitting room is a comfy place to relax with a wood-burning stove, satellite TV, a DVD player and plenty of books. The four comfortable bedrooms offer a real home away from home. Two are en suite and there is a third family bathroom, so you'll never be short of facilities. A well-stocked kitchen offers everything you need with a separate utility room housing the washing machine and dryer. Within easy reach of the bustling market town of Riberac, with its famous weekly market.
About the Owner
Owner, Jennifer Shales, feels that she has an ideal, if complicated life. On retiring she and husband, David, divided their time between England and France, taking time out in mid-winter for a longer haul trip to somewhere warmer, a pattern Jennifer still continues. As Jennifer puts it, she's been 'working her way through all the world's great civilisations'. Her children have long since stopped trying to keep track of her and simply ask her to turn on a mobile phone occasionally in case they need to find her!
Guestbook comments from the owner
Firstly, let me say how lovely the house and setting is – even better than the photos. It was exactly what we wanted and was the perfect choice. We managed to visit lots of old haunts and some new ones – including Bergerac which was lovely. SO lots of wonderful memories – thank you!
Our friends are already talking about a return next year – so I will be in touch!
From the Owner
“When we started looking for a house in France, we fell in love with this area. It seemed to have everything – sunshine and sunflowers, wonderful food, fascinating history, fabulous scenery, delightful people and a warm welcome. We've extended Margnac since those early days and it's become a real home, with mature gardens. I spend many months a year here and love entertaining my family and friends. After twenty-seven years, I am still finding new and exciting places to explore and never tire of coming back to this glorious area. I hope that you will love it as much as I do.”
Activity and Interests
About 20 km from the house, the Grand Etang du Jemaye is a large lake with a big sandy beach set within woodlands. It has supervised swimming areas with life guards on duty in summer. There are excellent facilities here including a restaurant, water sports and canoes. Aubeterre has a river beach. The nearest coastal beaches are on the Atlantic coast, about 80 km away.
By Car: Ferry to Caen (5.5 hours - 527 km); Saint Malo (6 hours - 518 km); Cherbourg (7 hours - 645 km); Le Havre (6.35 hours – 610 km); Calais (8 hours - 760 km).
By Air: Ryanair or Flybe to Bergerac or Limoges (1.25 hour drive) from Stansted, Luton, Exeter or Southampton. British Airways, Flybe and easyjet to Bordeaux (1.45 hour drive).
By Train: Eurostar, changing onto the TGV at Lille. The nearest station is Angouleme (40 min drive from the house). Car rental available locally.
The village of Celles, about 1.5 km away, has a bar (sells bread) and post office. The town of Riberac (11 km) is renowned for its Friday market – the best in the area and well worth a visit. The town has several good supermarkets, banks, shops, cafés and numerous restaurants. Canoes can be hired on the river at Riberac. Local villages, Grand Brassac (6 km), Verteillac (11 km) and La Tour Blanche (8 km) are worth a visit, as are the towns of Bourdeilles (15 km) and Brantome (35 km).
Riberac has all the facilities you need from supermarkets and bakeries to ATMs, garages and chemists. Keep Friday morning free for a trip to the market for food souvenirs, local specialities and present shopping as well as groceries.
Several of the local villages such as our local village, Celles, Grand Brassac, Verteillac, and La Tour Blanche are worth exploring, with interesting fortified churches, and some lovely local restaurants.
A little further afield are Aubeterre, with a magnificent monolithic church, Bourdeilles, with its medieval fortress and Renaissance palace, and the medieval town of Brantome where it is a delight to walk around the remarkable ancient abbey founded by Charlemagne (742-814).
Not very far away, in the Grottes de Villars, an underground river has hollowed out the largest underground cave network in the Perigord, filled with impressive stalactites and paintings more than 17,000 years old. Nearby, the Chateau de Puyguilhem is a Renaissance masterpiece that was carefully restored after WW2.
Perigueux, the capital of the Dordogne, has local artisan markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It still has some Roman remains along with a fine collection of renaissance buildings and a splendidly confused cathedral, thanks to 19th-century ‘restorer’ Abadie who later designed the Sacre Coeur in Paris.
To the south, the Dordogne Valley is a wonderful option for day trips with glorious historic towns such as Sarlat, Bergerac and Domme, magnificent chateaux and vineyards and some of the world’s most important prehistoric sights – the cave paintings at Lascaux and Les Eyzies.
Within easy daytrip distance are the great wine regions of Bordeaux and St Emilion (about 90 mins’ drive) while the Bergerac region along the Dordogne River is less well known but produces some delicious wines.
If you want to be a little more energetic, there are all sorts of other activities on tap from canoeing, walking and cycling to tennis, riding and golf.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£250|
Please pay via cheque, bank transfer or Paypal in UK£. Bedding, towels and pool maintenance are included. Our housekeeper, Mme Doyen, will do a final clean for €15ph on request.
Changeover day is Saturday. In order to give us time to clean the property, we do ask guests to leave by 10am and ask that new visitors do not arrive before 4pm.
Notes on prices:
Prices are listed in UK pounds. We can accept payment by cheque, bank transfer or Paypal.
We ask for an initial non-refundable payment of 25% to secure the booking with the balance, and the refundable £250 damages/breakages security deposit, to be paid 8 weeks before travel. If there are no issues, the deposit will be refunded within three weeks of departure.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Light floods into Margnac with French windows opening off most of the downstairs rooms. The views stretch for miles. And the house is far enough from the village to be out in the country but is within easy access of the shops when you need supplies. All in all, it is wonderfully peaceful, bright and airy. Jennifer is a keen gardener and the huge grounds are beautiful. Parts have deliberately been left uncultivated as a wildflower meadow with orchids and down the hill the house has its own woods in season. Keep an eye out for wildlife from deer to birds.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Ceiling Fans
- Fireplace ...
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets not allowed ...
- smoking allowed ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There are three bathrooms: 1) En-suite bathroom to bedroom 1 with full bath with shower attachment over, WC. 2) Family bathroom with full bath with shower attachment over, WC. 3) En-suite bathroom to bedroom 2 with shower, WC.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed, En suite.
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, French windows to back garden. Shares family bathroom
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot, The cot is available if required. En suite. Upstairs.
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, Shares family bathroom.
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed and en-suite bathroom with full bath/WC. Bedroom 2 with twin beds and en-suited bathroom with shower/WC. Bedroom 3 with twin beds and shares a family bathroom. Bedroom 4 with twin beds and shares a family bathroom.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: This really is a home away from home. We only rent it out for six weeks a year as it is used by our family at other times. The house has wifi, a telephone, satellite TV with free view (including BBC and ITV and a number of other English and French channels), a DVD player, and a large selection of books. Outside: There is a long vine-covered terrace running along the entire front of the house offering a wonderful shady space for outdoor dining, with superb views across the valley to the south-west and north-west. It has a couple of tables and chairs with plenty of space for partying. There's another small terrace with table and chairs at the back of the house, if you want a change of scene! The private pool is totally secluded, shielded from the road by lush planting. There are tiles immediately around the pool, which is 9m x 4m in size, with a gravel area beyond. There are table, chairs and loungers and a brick-built barbecue nearby. The whole property is about 2.5 acres in size with some formal gardens, some wild flower meadows and some woods. You needn't leave the grounds for a walk, but there are plenty of excellent walks and cycle rides nearby if you want to go further. We also have two adults' and one child's bikes which you may borrow. Utility Room: Separate utility room with washing machine and dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are provided and are changed at the beginning of the letting. The property is cleaned before occupancy. Other: The cosy dining room has a table and chairs. It has a set of French windows leading to the vine-covered terrace.