Townhouse in Ossun, Hautes Pyrenees, Midi-Pyrenees, France - Peaceful Location In Pretty Village, Ideal For Family Holiday And Exploring The Pyrenees
This Maison de Maitre is in the heart of a peaceful village. The house has beautifully appointed rooms which are cool in the summer and warm in winter. The house sleeps up to 10 and has 4 double bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There is a swimming pool set in private walled gardens. The kitchen has been modernised and opens onto a patio eating area. The gardens and pool are tended and there is a house keeper in the village. This is an ideal location for a peaceful family stay. The house is located close to Ossun/Lourdes airport with Pau and Toulouse airports within an hour's drive. The village of Ossun has 2 bakeries, a butcher, a mini-supermarket and pharmacy. The village is 4 km from the Lourdes, 6km from Tarbes and 30 minutes from Pau. The Pyrenees are a short drive away, ideal for skiing in the winter and multiple outdoor pursuits in the summer. The Atlantic coast is within an hour's drive. There are numerous spas nearby in Bagneres de Bigorre and Cauerets, Jazz in Marciac another draw.
About the Owner
We are in the fashion industry and bought the house as a place to take time off from the day to day running of the business. The property is just ideal for relaxation and discovering the mountains. Our son has learnt to ride a bike, swim and ski here so The Pyrenees holds a special place in our hearts. This is the ideal location to stay put or explore, whether you take a day trip to the coast or go and swim in a mountain lake it's your choice. Some guests are quite happy to stock up on local food and wine and take it easy by the pool. For families we recommend the nearby Lac Vert water park is great fun with white rafting available for the thrill seekers.
From the Owner
“The Pyrenees offer the visitor the chance to explore one of Europe's last great unspoiled areas of natural beauty. The vista from the plain up to the foothills is truly breathtaking..one of the reasons for buying most definitely! The local food and Madiran wine were other persuasive factors as well as the weather; remember this is the South of France and summer is hot.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Of special interest to Catholics will be the shrine of Lourdes.
The Atlantic Coast is about 45 minutes to an hour along the main motorway. Biarritz, St Jean de Luz and Hondaribia are all within this time frame. The beaches are wonderful and clean and the Basque cuisine is some of the finest in the world.
Ossun Lourdes airport is the closest with regular flights from London Stanstead. Pau has a flight from London City and Toulouse has flights from Manchester and Leeds (summer only) Pau is 35 minutes away, Toulouse an hour. The village is close to Lourdes and Tarbes with all the shopping facilities and markets you would expect of South West France. Car hire a must.
Lourdes 10 minutes by car
Tarbes 10 minutes by car
Pau 35 minutes by car
Toulouse 60 minutes by car
Biarritz 60 minutes by car
Bagneres de Bigorre 20 minutes by car
Ossun has a small supermarket, bakeries and a butcher. Ossun is equidistant from Tarbes and Lourdes both 10 minutes by car. Tarbes is the capital of the Hautes Pyrenees with good shopping and a wonderful organic market every thursday as well as a great park. Lourdes is a major tourist attraction and has a good spread of shopping, again 10 minutes by car This a mjor shrine for Catholics but the town has some great restaurants and you should go to Bartres to the Bon Accueil. Bagneres de Bigorre is a medieval town in the hills with a fabulous spa for all the family. This little town has charm and some fab little restaurants which are child friendly. Pau is a lovely town with grace and elegance. Home to some wonderful tourist attractions such as the Château, the Musee de Beaux Arts and the Classic Grand Prix. To the north Jazz in Marciac is worth a visit, 35 minutes from Ossun this is a major festival that runs from July through August and has some of world's greatest jazz and blues artists performing in the heart of a medieval town. Toulouse, the home of Airbus boasts the space museum and the 'Rose City' has a charm all it's own. The mountains themselves are worth visiting the year round. In winter skiing both Nordic and Alpine as well as snowboarding. In the spring and summer, walking, mountain biking, climbing and white water rafting but to name a few. Pont de Espagne showcases some breath taking scenery, with water falls, lakes and mountains vying for the limelight. A trip to the Pic de Midi observatory is worth a visit to take in the grand panoramas on display, whilst closer to Ossun itself there are numerous local paths which criss cross the local forests of Ossun, Ibos and Azereix. Restaurants abound with Michelin star quality to rustic bistro, you should use a Michelin guide to root out the best. The Alex in Lourdes is one of our favourites, but the bistros opposite the fountain in Tarbes are super for families who just want a pizza in the sun.
- Booking Notes:
Deposit of 20% with booking, 80% 8 weeks before arrival.
This is flexible as are the dates i.e. you can book from Weds to Weds
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 1 for bedrooms 1 and 2, bath, shower, double basins, bidet, separate wc, electric shaving point, ample storage space, Bathroom 2 for bedrooms 3 and 4, same facilities as other bathroom
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: King size double bed. Bedroom 2: King size double bed with 2 single beds. Bedroom 3: King size 4 poster bed with open fireplace. Bedroom 4: Double bed with single bed. All rooms centrally heated with easy access to bathrooms and toilets.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house is a tranquil haven which dates from 1700. The Maison de Maitre sits in the centre of the village and has an impressive grandeur whilst maintaining a homely feel. The property is fully modernised and comfortable with an eclectic mix of old and new furniture. This property is ideal for lounging about and taking it easy. The roaring log fires add a cosiness in winter for the returning trekkers or ski party. The recently up-dated kitchen has integrated appliances and a large dining area in addition to the dining room itself. The floors are beautifully tiled throughout the ground floor. The first floor has original wooden floors, 4 double bedrooms, 2 house bathrooms with with bath, shower, bidet and double sink and separate toilets. There is a toilet on the ground floor and a storage room with a washing machine and tumble drier. The property is centrally heated. The house is in the heart of the village with easy access to all local amenities. Outside: The property has a large private walled garden with an outdoor swimming pool. The pool is surrounded by a large patio with space for large umbrellas and numerous sun loungers. The pool has a rigid electric cover which serves to heat the pool and acts to prevent children and non swimmers being put at risk. The garden has many al fresco eating areas and there is garden furniture and a barbecue which can be utilised. This a large and secure space, ideal for children to play in and for parents to relax without worry. There are football and badminton nets and the village has tennis courts and a lively boules scene! Utility Room: Washing machine, tumble drier, wine rack, storage space for skis, access to boiler controls, sun loungers and cushions, deckchairs, football and badminton nets, tennis rackets. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen can be included, beach towels must be provided. The property is cleaned weekly. The garden is tended weekly. In the summer the pool is tended weekly. Other: Downstairs toilet and cloakroom. Car shelter with log store and bike storage facility. Pool house with storage for pool furniture and access to filtration mechanism.