House in Caithness, Watten, Scottish Highlands, Scotland - Village Shop Next Door One Minute Walk From The Village Pub
Located in Watten, this is the ideal location for a Caithness Holiday. Can cope with party’s of up to 7 people it is also ideal for couples family's looking for a real home from home experience.
The owner works in Europe and the house is used by family and friends as a holiday home. You are more than welcome to come and stay as well.
It is a family retreat but we like to keep the place up to a professional standard. The house will be clean beds made and heating on when you arrive.
WiFi free BT hotspot. Mobile phone coverage, signal strength is a bit poor in Watten, but you can always get a signal at the front of the house and most people head to the porch to make a call.
Top Traveller Review
Cosy home from home feel
About the Owner
I am a 50s something guy living and working abroad.
I am loathed to give up this family home as we all use it thought the year so we decided to offer it as a rental to cover some of the costs of ownership.
We like the place and hope you will as well.
4.7 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Cosy home from home feel
This holiday home has a lovely atmosphere - cosy and friendly. It's in a good location with beautiful countryside nearby and handy for John O'Groats, Wick, Thurso etc. The shop next door is handy and helpful, wish we'd tried the local pub just up the road but we had a load of food to finish up! We would highly recommend this holiday home.
Lovely big house with character.
We stayed here for a week, and was really happy with everything! We had quite a late arrival, but that was no problem for the owners to organise that.
The house was warm, with gas central heating, storage heaters and individual plug in heaters at our disposal. There was more rooms in the house than we could possibly use, but it was lovely to have some space!
Despite it being next to and attached to a school, you don't even know the school is there! You don't hear a thing from the school. We had to check if the school was actually open!
There is a lovely bar a stones throw down the road which serves decent meals., and literally next door on the other side is a convenience store for getting all your stuff. There is a nice lake to walk around a short walk from the house. But obviously because it is in a remote area, a car is absolutely essential to get around.
Watten is in a great location half way between the two towns of Wick and Thurso. It is easy to get to a ferry to the Orkneys from here (tho i would recommend to stay in the orkneys for at least a night if you want to go there).
Inverness is 2.5 hour drive from here.
This really is a perfect "get away from it all" location. With miles and miles of unspoilt countryside beaches and old marinas around.
The house is fully stocked with everything you would need: towels, bed linen, pots, pans, plates etc. The house is old and some of the appliances and furniture in the house is old too. But everything was fully working. The house has some amazing character and really feels like a home. If I return to the area I would definitely stay here again.
Thank you so much to the owner for letting us stay and for organising access.
so welcoming and homely
Excellent base for touring the north and east coast. The house had everything you could possibly need for a self catering break. Warm and cosy with efficient heating system. Huge book selection inspired us to order from e bay whilst there. Which we were able to do thanks to the efficient Wi-Fi available. Lovely comfy beds. Village shop next door which has basics but large Tescos at Wick and Thurso within 10/15 minute drive. There is a large garden where children can play safely. No complaints at all. Thank you.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The house lies 5 minutes walk from Lock Watten one of the best stocked fly fishing lochs in Scotland. Wick river also runs through the Village try for a slalom in one of the local pools. Head to Scrabster for deep sea fishing with world record Halibut or try Dunnet beach one of the best beach casting beaches in the UK. The county is a fisherman's dream.
Do you like to paint, try the conservatory great light and easel provided.
Astronomy, some of the best dark sky's in the UK. We have access to an old farm house 5 minutes drive away. 0% light pollution.
Some of the best beaches in Scotland lie around the Caithness coast. All with 30 minutes driving time.
2 hours driving from Inverness.
Wick Airport is 20 minutes away by car.
Or take the Train to either Wick or Thurso.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please contact owner.
Please contact owner.
Notes on prices:
Pricing is variable. Dependant on length of stay and number of people staying. Drop me an email for a quote. Any guests willing to cut the grass get a £20 discount. Minimum stay is usually three nights.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Pantry Items
- Hob ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
- children welcome
- pets considered
- smoking allowed ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
- whale watching
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- bay fishing
- surf fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Bathroom 1. Standard Bathroom. Including Bath and Boiler feed Shower. Toilet 1. Toilet and wash hand basin.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Large downstairs room with a sofa bed.
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, Master Bedroom
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Single Bed, Very large bedroom with one single bed.
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, Small room with two singles. Redecorated in 2015
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 7 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom: Large new double. Bedroom 1: Two small singles, only really suitable for Children. Bedroom 2: Double new sofa bed Bedroom 3: Large bedroom with one single bed.
- Boat ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Notes on accommodation: You will have sole occupancy of the house. The caretaker will let you in show you around and is on hand through out your stay. He lives 2 minutes walk away. Outside: Large extensive garden. Space for 5 side football in the back garden. Enclosed sun trap at the back door ideal for a barbecue. Out door table and chair and barbecue equipment in out house. Utility Room: Small room of living room. Contains Iron, hoover etc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Cleaner maid available at extra cost. Linen, towels available. Other: There is usually tea, coffee, sugar and some basic food stuffs in the house. Depends a lot on what the last guest has left and used. There is also usually a mix of drinks in the house. So if you use something please replace it for the next guest.