House in Argeliers, Nr. Narbonne, Aude, Languedoc-Roussillon, France - In The Heart Of The Village But Private And Secluded
It is rare to find a large village house which also has a garden but our beautiful home has the best of all worlds. The traditional facade leads into an amazing modern conversion of the ground and top floors with a traditional middle floor plus the addition of modern bathrooms. Outside the large heated pool is surrounded by terraces and lawns as well as a gravel area for playing boule. The pergola provides shade over a seating and dining area and there is a fully equipped summer kitchen including a gas BBQ, bar, fridge, dish-washer and hob. There is a playroom in the barn with table-tennis, electric drum-kit, dart-board and Slam-man. Up the spiral staircase you will find a wonderful area to relax on sofas and bean bags while you take in the wonderful view.
We now have a local English chef who can come and prepare and serve an evening meal for your party - details in the house book.
Have you thought about coming to stay in the low season?
We love the Spring and Autumn months down here; it is still sunny and warm so we eat out at lunchtimes and, using the powerful pergola heaters, most evenings as well. The pool is heated from early April till the end of October so you don't need to freeze if you fancy a dip.
And its lovely and warm indoors with underfloor heating on the ground floor to keep you toasty and you can light a fire in the woodburner.
Lots of the activities we enjoy can be more fun when it isn't 35 degrees! It's easier to go for a long cycle when the sun isn't boiling you and the same goes for golf, walking and horse-riding.
So the opportunities are there to be as active as you like or as lazy as you like or anything inbetween.
About the Owner
When we were children both Sarah and I used to holiday down here and many years later when the opportunity came to buy and develop a property in France, the Languedoc it had to be. We love being part of the village and have made a lot of friends here. And now it is time to allow others to enjoy the great lifestyle offered by this wonderful part of the world and our beautiful home.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Just back at work after two weeks at Maison Tigre, and wanted to thank you for sharing your home with us – we had a fantastic time. We have been staying in France and Italy over the last ten years – varying our choice between rural isolation (for space and privacy) and village houses (for the boulangeries and cafes, etc.), and I have to say that your home provides the perfect combination in a part of France where there is so much to do and see. I also really like the house itself – the great care that has gone into the development, finishing and furnishings is evident (and I like the modernist/minimalist style you have employed).
All in all a brilliant holiday. "
"We had an absolutely delightful holiday in Argeliers, and all six of us (four adults and two children) loved the house and hated to leave.
We did the usual visits for first-timers in the region: Carcassonne, Narbonne, Gruissan, the Abbaye de Fontfroide, various villages along the Canal du Midi, etc. We had a ball and were always looking forward to return to the Maison Tigre at the end of the day. The pool was a high-light, so much so that it was sometimes difficult to get the children out to visit (and the adults also). The house was also a delight, with such a great design that we immediately felt at home. Thank you also to Alan and Cathy for their warm welcome and very useful explanations.
All six of us have very good memories of our (alas short) stay at Maison Tigre, and we still remind each other often of our summer holiday.
I would like to congratulate you again for the wonderful job you have done with the restoration of Maison Tigre, with the design and with the equipment provided, which was just right for us (I may be repeating myself here, but it really is a wonderful home, so another round of applause is not excessive!)"
"I just wanted to drop you a line to say how very much we enjoyed our week in your lovely home - it truly is superb!
In fact, we all had such a good week, I am about to email in order to book for next year. I notice on the website that next year's dates are already there so we thought we'd better book quickly (and before you decide that it is far too beautiful to leave!)"
"We just wanted to tell you that we really enjoyed the stay in your wonderful house. You have thought of everything to make it so nice and our daughter said that she had come to paradise...
All the people that we met; Alan and Cathy, the pool and garden guys and the cleaning ladies were all so nice and helpful. Real assets!
And the Rosé in the fridge... This was a very welcome gesture that we enjoyed after the long drive down.
Thank you again for sharing your lovely house with us."
A & M
"Many thanks, we look forward to booking with you again next year!"
Moriarty family - London, UK
From the Owner
“The best weather in France; some of the best wine; wonderful countryside for cycling or walking; great beaches and not too far for skiing. All this in an area that is easily accesible from the UK and yet not spoiled by having too many ex-pats living there or too many tourists visiting. The village is small enough to be friendly yet big enough to have all the facilities you might need.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
This is cyclists heaven with beautiful routes along the canal du midi, through gently rolling countryside from village to village or up into the hills to really test the legs. Bikes can be rented and delivered to the house.
There are tennis courts in the village and 4 racquets are available! Lessons with Herve the village professinal can be organised.
There are wonderful walks in the area either from the house along the canal or up into the hills or take the car and do some of the circular walks (details in the house information book)
Water-skiing, wind-surfing and dingy sailing are available at Lac Jouarres 15kms away.
Kayaking can be booked and is just an hour away.
We now have a riding stables just outside the village where Valerie will teach kids and adults.
And the wine-tasting? Oh never forget the wine-tasting!
Narbonne plage - 37kms
Valras plage - 38kms
These are typical wide, sandy holiday beaches with cafes and restaurants alongside.
Beziers - 40kms/45mins (Ryanair, FlyBe)
Carcassonne - 60kms /55mins (Ryanair)
Perpignan - 83kms/60mins (Ryanair)
Montpellier - 102kms/70mins (Easyjet)
Toulouse - 152kms/105mins (Easyjet)
Girona - 188kms/120mins
The nearest supermarket is at St.Marcel about 8 kms away. Capestang (11km) is a vibrant town with a good choice of restaurants around the central square.
Narbonne is 23kms away and the cathedral is well worth a visit.
Beziers is 25kms away and in August the Feria is not to be missed.
The amazing castle at Carcassonne is 53kms away and makes a great day out.
The village has a well stocked Spar, a boulangerie, a tabac, a butchers, 3 restaurants, a take-away pizza shop, a post-office, a GP surgery, a pharmacy and a cash-dispenser. There are more restaurants a short drive away and all the details are in the house information book.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Apr 2017 - 22 Apr 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Summer - low
23 Apr 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Summer - high
1 Jul 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
Please contact owner.
Changeover day is Saturday. Check-out time is 1000. Check-in time is 1600. However it may be possible to arrive earlier and use the garden and pool but not disturbing the cleaners working in the house.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Living in the village whilst feeling separate from it means we have the best of both worlds. We don't have to drive miles to get our morning croissants but we also have a huge private garden and pool. There are very few properties that offer this great combination.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Game Room ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool ...
- Private Chef
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- botanical garden
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- water skiing
- whitewater rafting
- 400 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to bedroom 1 with free-standing bath and double walk-in shower; en-suite bathroom with shower to bedroom 2; family bathroom with shower; downstairs cloakroom; outside pool shower.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) + 1 cot Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, Bedroom 2 with double bed, Bedroom 3 with double/twin bed, Bedroom 4 with twin beds. Cot available.
- Balcony ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Veranda ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: The 'attic suite' covers the whole footprint of the house and is a stunning contemporary take on the traditional grenier - high beamed ceilings; King-sized double-bed; seating area; desk and a superb, luxury bathroom with double walk-in shower, stand alone bath and double basin. There are great views over the village rooftops and the hills. The middle floor has retained it's classical maison de maitre features with coloured tiled floors; full height double doors to each bedroom and tall windows with (unusally) internal shutters. Bedroom 2 is a double and has an en-suite bathroom with shower, basin and lavatory and wonderful views over the country-side. Bedroom 3 is another double with views over the village. And finally bedroom 4 is a twin room. All the rooms have plenty of wardrobe and storage space as well as good lighting and a comfortable chair. Outside: It is very rare to find a large village house such as ours which has a large garden instead of just a small terrace. We can offer the best of both worlds - in the village but with a huge secluded garden with 12 x 6 m heated pool, outside kitchen/BBQ, shaded seating and dining area, fruit trees, lawn and gravelled area for playing boule. Head up the spiral stair-case to the first-floor covered terrace with seating and bean-bags where you can relax with beautiful views of the garden and countryside - a great place to escape to and for post dinner drinks and chat. If you are feeling more energetic then try the games room with table-tennis, dart-board, Slam-man boxing, basic gym equipment and an electronic drum-kit. So the teenagers can get away from their parents or vice versa! Utility Room: Large capacity washer-dryer; iron and ironing board; drying racks. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Quality cotton bedding and towels (bath and pool) are provided and changed weekly. The property is cleaned before each visit and mid-stay cleaning can be organised for a fee. Other: The inside dining-room seats 14. The outside covered living area has seating for 8, a dining table seating 12 and a complete kitchen with gas BBQ.