House in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England - Peaceful Location In Private Road, 2 Mins. Walk From Beach, High St. & Town Steps & All Amenities.
This is a light and large Victorian house set in the Conservation Area, only 2 minutes walk from the beach and ideally situated above the Town Steps in Church Walk, a private road. It has been recently renovated to an exceptionally high standard mixing original features with modern bathrooms and kitchen and is very well equipped. It is ideal for a family, groups of friends or professionals. Aldeburgh is a perfect holiday location and base to visit Thorpeness, Southwold, Walberswick, Orford, Dunwich, and to enjoy Aldeburgh Music concerts at Snape Maltings. The house comprises three bedrooms: 2 double bedrooms, (1 kingsize), served by a family bathroom and a large room with 2 single beds with a large en-suite bathroom. Downstairs comprises a hall, a large open-plan kitchen with dining area and a living room with a wood-burner. The house has parking for 2 cars and benefits from a sunny, west-facing garden. The decor is seaside themed, typical of the area.
Top Traveller Review
Perfect base for relaxing in Suffolk
About the Owner
About the Owners: Zoe and Mark McKeown– we have three daughters and live in Cambridge. We love outdoor life and enjoy walking, beach life and good food. 2012 we decided to find a holiday home for us and our family so we could spend more time exploring and enjoying Suffolk throughout the year. We wanted Marquess House to be a home-from-home experience so we and our guests can travel light, knowing that everything you need to feel luxurious and comfortable is already there and catered for. Our children love Aldeburgh as we often came here in our VW camper van, but it is also nice now to be a short walk from the shops and the beach. It has been easy to integrate with the locals as they are so welcoming. The house has a perfect sized garden and 2 parking spaces.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'Beautifully furnished, comfortable beds, lovely linen, spotlessly clean, home-from-home, every comfort, brilliantly equipped, perfect location, lovely art work'.
'The house itself was lovely - nicely furnished and linen/towels provided were luxury. The locations was perfect - only a short stroll to the seafront and the lovely restaurants.'
'We love the house - splendid seaside decor & really well-fitted out, really comfortable beds - we slept so well during our stay!.Great location - property very high standard. Really good website. Defo be back!'
1 holidaymaker review
Perfect base for relaxing in Suffolk
Another fabulous holiday in Aldeburgh. We loved exploring from here. The children were in heaven with a WII set up in their bedroom, and there is everything you need in the property for a great self catering holiday - including a great bar b q and a brilliant climbing tree at the bottom if the garden. The owners have thought about every little detail, and as it's now our second visit, it feels like a real home from home. Highly recommended.
From the Owner
“Why we chose Aldeburgh: Aldeburgh is quintessentially English yet has a trendy atmosphere. It is a wonderful place for family holidays, young and old – those who enjoy walking, golf, tennis, sailing, beach, music & art galleries; restaurants & fish sheds for foodies and good pubs. You can walk to everything; it is the seaside in the countryside! I love the quirky shops and you really can buy everything you need here. It is easily accessed 2.5 hrs from London off the A12 and perfect to explore Suffolk and it’s coast.”
Activity and Interests
Only a 2 min. walk from beach & seafront. Shingle beach which stretches along Suffolk Coastal area. Beach is backed by promenade with fishing shacks where local fishermen bring in daily catch to sell. There is a boating lake and cottages/shops/galleries/pubs/restaurants and coastal walk to Thorpeness one way and River Alde path to Snape to west. Southwold & Walberswick are a 20 min. drive
Stansted Airport is approx. 75 miles and Southend Airport 80 miles: Aldeburgh is approx. 2.5 hr. drive from London, following A12/B1904 to Aldeburgh. Saxmundham station (5 miles/15mins. drive from Aldeburgh) links to London Liverpool St; Ipswich station with links to East Coast Rail is 30 min. drive from Aldeburgh. A car is a must as so many places to visit. There is a local bus service, linking local villages.
Aldeburgh is a perfect holiday location and base to visit Thorpeness (boating lake, tennis, family fun), Southwold (pier/beach/Adnams brewery/restaurants), Walberswick (beach,crabbing bridge, pubs), Orford (castle, antiques, fish restaurant), Dunwich (beach & walks) and to enjoy Aldeburgh Music concerts at Snape Maltings - all within 10-20 min. drive. Framlingham Castle is 20 mins; Wickham Mkt. 15 mins. The city of Ipswich is 30 mins. and Norwich 1 hr. offering all city amenities.
Local shops: Co-op, delicatessens, butchers, bakers, hardware, ladies, gentlemen & young people's fashion wear; Crew/Joules/Musto/Jack Wills; books/library/bank/cash point/restaurants/Prezzo/Fish restaurants/pubs/wine merchant/Cinema (seats 200) - stages operas, theatre productions, art films, exhibitions; Jill Freud Theatre;Tennis courts; LaBoule area; Thorpeness Mere for boating/cycling/tennis/pubs/antique shops. Snape Maltings - the arts/music/concerts/house & living & art shops.
The villages surrounding Aldeburgh are revered for their gastro pubs and in September there is the Aldeburgh Food & Drink Festival for foodies to enjoy demonstrations, tastings & workshops. For those enjoying books/literature/poetry, there is the annual Literary Festival where well-known writers visit Aldeburgh Book Shop and Cinema to present their works. Aldeburgh is also well-known for its art and local and world-renown artists exhibit their works in its High St. galleries. Aldeburgh Music attracts worldwide musicians, and stages operatics, classical & modern ballets. Concerts are often held at Aldeburgh Church as well as the famous Britten Concert Hall in Snape Maltings. The famous Aldeburgh Carnival (August) is a huge attraction for all ages and a wonderful lantern parade through the town to the beach for fireworks is a magical and memorable evening. If you enjoy tennis, you can buy a 2-week membership to Aldeburgh Tennis Club. The quaint Aldeburgh Cinema hosts blockbusters and contemporary art films, as well as live operas, documentary evenings and art exhibitions; Jill Freud Theatre stages plays for all the family and a must is the Rendlesham Forest twilight productions in the outdoor theatre.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
28 Oct 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
Changeover Day: Friday
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
17 Dec 2016 - 2 Jan 2017
Changeover Day: Friday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
25% deposit on booking - balance due 6 weeks before start of holiday. To be paid by bank transfer. Please contact the owner for further enquiries.Please Note our changeover day is a Friday.
In high season, changeover is Friday to Friday: Arrival from 4.00pm:Departure by 10.00 a.m. We are flexible at all other times of the year and also take long weekend/short week bookings. Please contact to discuss flexibility.
Notes on prices:
Prices include linen, towels, electricity & heating. Long weekend/short week bookings are charged at 75% of weekly rental. A refundable £100 housekeeping/breakages deposit will be added to total to cover any exceptional cleaning costs, breakages or damage to property.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Garden. Parking. Location. 3 good sized bedrooms. Travel cot, high chair and stair gate.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Family bathroom 1st floor: modern suite/bath/rose-head shower over bath/WC/basin. Itliannate Tiled floor to ceiling. En-suite to bedroom 3, with free-standing bath/basin/WC/shower wet area. Italiannate Tiled. Contemporary design.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: King-size/Victorian iron bedstead; Bedroom 2:Double/iron bedstead Bedroom 3: Twin-beds/wooden/Travel cot. All with wardrobes/chest-drawers/chairs/bedside tables/lamps: Memory mattresses.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house is the rear part of Thellusson Lodge and is accessed from Church Walk, through a gate leading into the garden. There is parking for 2 large cars. The garden has deep well-stocked borders, a grass area and patio area with a New ( Spring 2014) large garden table and chairs for 6 people, with a large Weber BBQ. There is a summer house for storage and garden/house equipment. The rear of the garden and summer-house area benefits the morning sun, and the patio area and front of the house enjoys full evening sun as it faces west. Marquess House. is furnished and equipped home-from-home for a comfortable and luxurious holiday in cosy surroundings. In the summer months we live outside and the house is bathed in sunlight; in the winter we light the log-burner and the house becomes a cosy haven. Outside: There is a summer house, where garden chairs are stored, together with gardening equipment, swivel washing line/pegs. There is garden dining table (new Spring 2014) and chairs for 6 people. A large Weber BBQ is stored in the Summer House. Utility Room: Available in kitchen: Ironing board/iron/hoover/broom/drying clothes horse, (swivel washing line & pegs in garden). High chair. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: White linen for all beds; Osprey bath sheets/hand towels/T-towels included in rental. Changed weekly with a weekly clean. Other: The airy hall is accessed from the front door which leads in from the garden. The floor is Amtico wood-style. Table with land-line telephone & Wi-Fi. There are plenty of coat hooks and baskets to store outdoor wear and garden kit.