Bed and Breakfast in Pitigliano, Grosseto, Tuscany and Florence, Italy - Enchanting Location Between Rome And Siena, Only 9 Km From Lake Bolsena Beach
Located in Southern Tuscany only 10 mins away from the beach of Lake Bolsena and 40 mins from the sea, 1 hour 30 mins from Rome, halfway between Orvieto and Siena, closely bordering with the regions of Umbria and Lazio, the jaw droopingly splendid 17th century castle, Castello Caterini (complete with fairy tale turret) has been the property of the noble Caterini family for generations and still is. Over the recent past, the castle’s nearby 18th Century ivy-covered farmhouse and outbuildings have been sympathetically restored to retain their authenticity and styled into nice rooms for guests, mostly furnished with original pieces. A large terrace overlooks the main pool where catering service is available on previous request. Perfect location for relaxing, sports and cultural sightseeing. Many activities on the spot such as cookery courses, horse riding centre with English speaking instructor, tennis court. Ideal place for horse riding excursions. A golf course near by.
Details for holiday chateau / country house Granaio Sleeps 16 (8 Bedrooms), 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16, 8 Bathrooms
Nice bedrooms on the ground and first floor of the farmhouse below the castle, with bathroom en-suite. Charming original terracotta floors, this part of the farmhouse used to be the granaries of the estate. In the morning a beautiful buffet breakfast is served directly under the arches of the castle converted ancient horses stables. Restaurant/Bar available on the spot.
About the Owner
Hello my name is Antonio Mancini Caterini, S.Cristina castle and the estate belong to my family since 1700. The Caterini family came to this area around 1200 and they moved to the castle several centuries after. Only few know that this is one of the less inhabited areas of Italy, so we benefit of enchanting countryside only 1hr and 30min from Rome and 1 hr and 15 min from Siena. From our place you can explore mountains, lakes and the sea. My wife is half English and we have 2 sons (9 and 18) and a daughter (21), we are all bilingual and happy to meet new guests at S.Cristina every year. I have a passion for sports, I used to be a triathlete and still like to bike around or swim long distance in the lake. But my real passion are horses that is why we have a riding center on the spot.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Hi Antonello, We had a fantastic holiday and found everything so relaxing. I would appreciate it if when you get back from Italy that you can contact me so that we can book 2 weeks for next year! Martin Bagley.
Just a short note to say how much we enjoyed our stay at Santa Christina. A beautiful location, excellent facilities and very comfortable accommodation. The pool was a real plus point especially as we were blessed with such good weather. We had a wonderful time during our stay in Italy.
Hello, I would like to thank you for your help and assistance. I would also be grateful if you would pass on our thanks to Antonello, Christina and Paola Steve Robins.
Dear Antonello We had a fantastic time at Santa Christina last year and would really love to return in August 2008. We are trying to sort out our annual leave, provisionally we would be interested in 2 weeks beginning 10 August. Could you advise on availability? Very best regards and Happy New Year.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We organize horse riding weeks as well as cooking, photography and painting holidays for more details please contact us through the website or call us on the phone.
The area has a lot to offer about history and archaeology with Etruscan and Roman ruins everywhere as well as renaissance palaces, but any given period of history is well represented here with incredible art and architecture masterpieces.
This land was once the border between the Vatican state ruled by the pope and the dukedom of Tuscany ruled by different families through the centuries like Medici, Orsini etc.
Siena is only one hour away by car. The magnificent duomo and enchanting town of Orvieto is only 40 mins drive away and the eternal city Rome can be reached just for the day by train via Orvieto.
Bolsena the biggest volcanic lake in Europe is only 10 mins drive away, nice sandy beaches, little restaurants and bars are available all along the north side of the lake, that is the nearest to us.
On the Capodimonte beach you can rent a motor boat and head off to the 2 islands in the middle of the lake where remains of the renaissance past are still visible in the shape of a convent with a beautiful XVI cent. church.
The best beach by the sea is only 45 min. drive away, in Capalbio.
Nearest airport is Fiumicino Rome airport, driving distance: 1 hour 40 mins away.
Ciampino Rome airport is 2 hours drive away.
To Hire a car is highly recommended.
Nearest train station is Orvieto 40 mins drive from the castle. From there it is easy to reach Rome or Siena.
Orvieto 40 min.
Siena 1 hr.
Rome 1 hr 45 min.
Viterbo 40 min.
Most of the other places of interest are within a range of 30/40 km from the castle.
Shops and supermarkets are easily reachable from the castle. You can find plenty of them in the two villages of Grotte di Castro (4 km)and Acquapendente (12 km). A selection of the best restaurants is available at the castle reception for all the guests.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For booking and further information please contact us below.
Saturday is the preferred changeover day, still we try to be most flexible when we receive other requests.
Notes on prices:
Prices are per night, including taxes & breakfast. Daily is cleaning is not included but it can be added on request.
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Bed & Breakfast
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Sports & Activities
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Dining Area
- Table Football
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Outdoor Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 7 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 8 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Golf ...
- Included in Price
- Booking Possible
- Booking Possible
- Catering available
- Notes on accommodation: The bedrooms are very cosy and furbished with the typical local furniture. Tv sat are available in the lounge of every floor. The castle estate is like a small resort and offers a great facilities for those who love to do sports in the beautiful natural Tuscan landscape. Especially horse riding and mountain bike. There is an horse riding centre on the spot internationally renown. At the same time the castle estate and the park of the castle itself are extremely suitable for children and throughout the year many families come to the castle because of its children facilities: children's riding school with ponies, children's playground, babies pool, mini-football pitch, ping pong, billiard table and table football. Of course, for the off-season guest, as Santa Cristina is in the heart of the forest, there is plenty of wood to burn to enjoy a cosy fireside evening with a glass of local wine and a good book. On the estate we have a bar restaurant, where we cook local traditional cuisine. Outside: The estate around us is approx 250 acres. The premises of the castle offer many facilities for adults and children to enjoy themselves, the most important are: a) 2 pools for adults (not heated), of which 1 available for everybody (size 16m x 6.50m) and 1 private for the cottages Marta & Capodimonte (size 4m x 8m); a children/babies pool(size 2m x 2m); Around the pool there are a good number of sunbeds and deckchairs as well as some gazebos to provide a shaded area. b) BBQ area with 2 grills for memorable summer evenings. c) Tennis court (needs reservation, new balls can be purchased. All at the castle reception). d) Riding school for children and adults: 8 horses and ponies available with English speaking instructor. 2 sand arenas available and amazing trail riding centre with incredible countryside and views of the area. e) Terrace, bar, restaurant overlooking pool with gazebos with outdoor tables and chairs. f) Mini football pitch.