Barn near Slapton, Kingsbridge, South Devon, England - Secluded Location In The Devon Hills With A Large Garden 10 Minutes From Slapton Sands
Lower Merrifield Barn has been thoughtfully renovated making the best of the open space using carefully chosen modern fittings and traditional furniture. On the ground floor there are two double and two twin bedrooms all with ensuite bathrooms. The top floor is an open-plan fully equipped kitchen at one end of the dining-living area. At the far end of the room, a full height window looks out over the garden to the fields and glimpses of the sea. The sheltered stone terrace is reached from a glass fronted garden room looking over flower beds to the lawn and parking area. The garage is used as a games room with table tennis and a dart board. There are upper and lower level entrances allowing access to both floors without the use of stairs. The village of Slapton is just one mile away, Local pubs provide excellent dining within a few minutes drive. The nearby towns have market days, music festivals and regattas throughout the summer.
About the Owner
Sarah and I met while working on charter yachts in the Caribbean. 27 years ago, we bought Lower Merrifield in South Devon and eventually settled down here with our two sons and two dogs. The family loves the open air life here, enjoying tennis, cricket, rugby, golf, boating, swimming, horse riding and sometimes just sitting in the garden with a glass of something cool.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We had a great stay. 1st class accommodation + lovely owners. We would have no hesitation in recommending or returning."
"We had a lovely time in this beautiful barn..."
"...had a great week in your fabulous barn... We will certainly recommended your property to our friends."
"An absolutely wonderful barn conversion with plenty of room for all of us."
"A very enjoyable stay in a house big enough for everyone to spread out yet intimate for a family get together."
" Beautifully designed and equiped house..."
" Very enjoyable time! Well done on a very excellent rebuild. The quality is outstanding which makes it all the more comfortable."
" A wonderful house to celebrate a birthday and a 25th wedding anniversary.
From the Owner
“A 'laid back' pace of life make this a great place to unwind. Peaceful countryside and sparkling sea provide wonderful playgrounds for everyone and their dog.”
Activity and Interests
Nearest beach is Slapton Sands, 2 miles of clean shingle. perfect for swimmers and sunbathers.
Choice of other beaches to suit all tastes: Swimmers, sunbathers, toddler to serious surfer from 5 to 35 minutes drive away, some have beach bars or restaurants and many are watched by professional lifeguards during the holiday season.
20 minutes from A38/M5 motorway
20 minute drive from Totnes mainline rail station.
1 hour from Plymouth channel ferry terminal.
1 hour from Exeter Airport
2 hours from Bristol International Airport
A car is essential due to the rural location.
The towns of Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Totnes are all about 20 minutes away.
Slapton village with two pubs and a village stores is about a mile and a half
Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons supermarkets are within 20 minutes drive.
Most have online shopping and will deliver to the door. There are farm shops and local suppliers who sell first class local produce.
For more photos and details about the Barn go to our website then come back to this site for your booking.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
4 Nov 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
Changeover Day: Friday
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
16 Dec 2016 - 5 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
A 25% deposit will secure your booking if made more than 6 months before the start date.
A further 25% is due at 6 months.
A booking made within 6 months of the start date requires a 50% deposit.
The total and a £200 refundable damage/expenses deposit is due at 6 weeks prior to the holiday.
The deposits are only refunded if the property is re-let.
I refund the damage/expenses deposit less any agreed breakages or expenses via BACS transfer within 7 days of the end of your stay.
Change over day is Friday. Arrive after 3pm, depart before 10am. Shorter breaks (minimum 3 nights) can be taken outside the summer holidays. Please email or call to see how we can make the best arrangements to suit your requirements.
Notes on prices:
Dogs are £25 each Per Week.
Please note there is NO heating supplement in winter, or any other extras, except mobile or premium calls from the house phone, so the quoted price is all you pay.
Short breaks are priced in relation to the weekly rate by arrangement. Email or phone to talk about your requirements: Outside the summer holiday season we are able to be more flexible.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The spacious rooms and terrace are fantastic for family gatherings. So much is available to do within a short drive: sailing, riding, cycling, walking on the coast or high up on the moors. The local towns host music festivals and regattas where everyone is welcome. Local pubs serve restaurant quality food and also have music nights with local live bands. There is a choice of beaches to suit children of all ages where they can enjoy the timeless pleasures of sand castles and rock pooling or messing about in boats.”
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- near the sea
- live theatre
- theme parks
- water parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- pier fishing
- bay fishing
- surf fishing
- water tubing
- 400 m²
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En suite to bedroom 2
- Shower room 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En suite to bedroom 3
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, En suite to bedroom 4
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En suite to bedroom 1
- Toilet 1 - Toilet, On the upper floor convenient for the living and dining room
- En-suite bathrooms to bedrooms 1,2 and 3 have a handbasin, WC and spacious 'raindrop' showers. The en-suite bathroom to bedroom 4 has a hand basin, WC and full length bath and a corner shower. The bath and showers have thermostatic mixer taps
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, The cot is available on request
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, There is room in for a cot or the optional extra bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed Bedroom 2 has twin beds. Bedroom 3 has a super-king double bed Bedroom 4 has twin beds If needed, a child's cot can be placed in the superking bedroom We also have a folding bed for one extra if prepared to 'camp'
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: All the bedrooms are on the ground floor. Bedroom 4 is separated from the main building by the garden room. The ground floor can be accessed from the lower parking area and terrace. The upper floor is reached up a flight of stairs or from the upper parking area. The fridge and fridge-freezer and food storage cupboards are just inside this entrance, the shopping has only to be carried a few steps from the car. The entire building has centrally controlled underfloor heating maintaining a comfortable temperature throughout. The internet connection, being in a rural area, is limited. Its OK for general browsing and e-mail but will not do heavy downloads. Mobile signals are poor. The telephone is free to use for national numbers but I charge for calls to mobiles and premium numbers. Outside: There is an all-weather table with chairs on the terrace and a gas barbecue. The garden has a large lawn, raised planters and a rockery. There is plenty of private parking on the tarmac, if one includes the upper vehicle access area, there is probably enough for ten cars. The garage is used as a games room with full sized table tennis and a darts board. Utility Room: The utility room has a washing machine and tumble dryer by Bosch, a sink and a heated airing cupboard, also an iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / : Bath towels and bedlinen provided. Fresh linen is available each week or halfway through a ten day stay. We also provide drying and oven cloths for the kitchen. Please bring your own beach towels. Other: There is a ground floor glass-fronted garden room with large double doors accessing the stone terrace. The morning sun shines into this room making it perfect for an early cup of coffee with the papers.