House in Oldbury On Severn, Nr. Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England - Peaceful Location At Cotswolds Edge, At Gateway To Wales And Within An Hour Of Bath And Bristol
Handsome Victorian Rectory on the edge of a pretty award winning village, sleeps 10 luxuriously in wide, light filled rooms with far reaching views. There are lovely reception rooms including a play room and a stone flagged kitchen with aga. Two acres of peaceful landscaped gardens surround the house and include a heated swimming pool in the orchard (in use May to September)and an astroturf tennis court. There is a croquet lawn, table tennis, board games and books as well as free internet and a wide screen TV. The house is only 40 minutes from the iconic attractions of Bath, also Bristol and the sleepy limestone villages of the Cotswolds including Stratford on Avon. The historic castles of Wales are within easy reach as is Thornbury Castle down the road and Berkely Castle half an hour away. Golf on a stunning 18 hole course plus putting green open to all ten minutes away in Thornbury. There are walks from the house, through flower filled meadows or along banks of the River Severn to other villages.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
About Jane Shemilt
We have happily bought up our family of five children in the beautiful Old Rectory which was our family home for fifteen years while we worked as doctors in Bristol; we hope you will also enjoy this wonderful friendly family house and fantastic grounds.
There is something for everyone,space to run around play tennis,croquet or swim,or find a secluded spot in our landscaped gardens to look at the view read or relax in the peace and quiet.
Jane Shemilt purchased this house in 1995
Why Jane Shemilt chose Forest of Dean district
We bought the Old Rectory from the church,as we were looking for a lovely house in a garden to give our children the space to explore and grow in beautiful surroundings. While being peaceful (the only sounds at night are owls,and during the day there are hovering buzzards,woodpeckers in our huge hornbeam trees and thrushes on the lawn) we are yet only half an hour from Bristol and and forty minutes from the iconic attractions of Bath.
The house is on the edge of an award winning village, which has a friendly pub selling delicious home-made food two minutes down the hill.
Thornbury castle is ten minutes away for fine dining,and there is a magnificent golf course open to all.
What makes this house unique
The Old Rectory retains all the unique features of its Victorian origins solidly built in 1860 to attract the best vicar at the time,with servants bells, shutters, working open fires in each room and magnificent views from all the windows. There is much to do on site with an astroturf tennis court and a heated swimming pool in the orchard;croquet books, games and a library of DVDs and videos ensure you will never be bored! it is uniquely positioned in peaceful country side on the banks of the River Severn with walks from the front gate and yet within easy distance of the lovely villages of the Cotswolds, the Brecon Beacons,the Wye Valley and the Forest of Dean no more than 40 minutes away.
Tennis lessons, baby sitting and in house catering can all be arranged.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
(6 traveller reviews)
We had a fabulous time in this wonderful property. A perfect place to welcome in the New Year, well equipped with gorgeous gardens, the Severn estuary and a great pub are a short stroll away. Would highly recommend!
Beautiful House And Grounds
We spent a long weekend at the Old Rectory to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary with our family - ten of us with ages ranging from 3 to 75. We had a wonderful time making full use of the lovely house, extensive grounds, swimming pool and tennis court. Everything we needed was provided and Jane was very helpful particularly in answering our many questions. It was such a happy celebration in a perfect setting that the family would love to do it again! We would have no hesitation in recommending the Old Rectory.
Lovely house and large garden for celebration
A perfect location for family celebration of 3 generations aged 2 - 73 for a 40th birthday! Very friendly and helpful owners who helped to make our stay happy and relaxed. The grandchildren adored the large garden, and especially a slightly belated Easter egg hunt! Plenty of room inside the house for the different generations to spread out when needed! Great to have the AGA too and memorable meals were produced and enjoyed! We hope we may return one day!
The Maskell family
PS The damage deposit was returned in a timely manner too!
We had a fantastic long weekend at the Old Rectory. The house was beautiful and well equipped with stunning garden and surroundings. We went for a university reunion and it really was the perfect location. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Such a beautiful property!
We descended on the Old Rectory for a long weekend in October to celebrate my Mother-In-Law's 60th Birthday. There were 10 adults and two toddlers. It took us a while to find somewhere suitable as we wanted somewhere that was special and also big enough for us all to enjoy, and boy did the Old Rectory deliver. The house and it's grounds are stunning!!
Starting with the house, it has everything you could wish for to make your stay comfortable. It was beautifully maintained and fully equipped. You can tell it is a house that was/is very much loved as it holds a lot of charm whilst also feeling modern at the same time. For such a big house it was surprisingly cosy and I think we all could've quite happily lived there!
The grounds were beautiful and every bit was utilised. We had tennis and table tennis matches going on between the adults and the toddlers loved running around the expansive gardens seeing what treasures they could find.
Whilst staying at the rectory we went for a looped walk direct from the house out to the Severn and back. A nice little walk with a pub stop in the middle (well it'd be rude not to!) We also went for Sunday lunch at The Anchor in the village which was excellent. Decent sized portions too!
Jane, the owner, is superb and my only regret is that I didn't get to meet her in the end to say hello personally. Great communication throughout the whole booking process and she really went the extra mile to make sure that you were enjoying your stay and had everything you needed. Thank you Jane!!
We'll be back!!!
The Tames Family x
Old Rectory Happy Times
We went on a family holiday for a week and what a great time we had. There were 9 people in our group aged from 5 to 60 and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Our grandaughter had a fabulous Easter egg hunt in the beautiful gardens, she loved the whole area especially the swing on the tree. We all enjoyed the lovely kitchen with extended breakfasts and evening meals. Our daughter became an Aga Oven convert. The accomodation was lovely from the relaxing lounges to the large very comfortable bedrooms. I would certainly recommend the Old Rectory to anyone with a large family to cater for.
From the Owner
“We bought the Old Rectory from the church,as we were looking for a lovely house in a garden to give our children the space to explore and grow in beautiful surroundings. While being peaceful (the only sounds at night are owls,and during the day there are hovering buzzards,woodpeckers in our huge hornbeam trees and thrushes on the lawn) we are yet only half an hour from Bristol and and forty minutes from the iconic attractions of Bath. The house is on the edge of an award winning village, which has a friendly pub selling delicious home-made food two minutes down the hill. Thornbury castle is ten minutes away for fine dining,and there is a magnificent golf course open to all.”
Activity and Interests
Weston Super- Mare with a famous pier and children’s beach activities, is approximately 40 minutes drive away.
The surfing beaches of North Devon(Croyde and Saunton Sands) are within 2 hours drive.
The Jurassic Coast of Dorset is within one and a half to 2 hours drive away.
Bristol airport is 40 minutes away.
Bristol Parkway station is 40 minutes away.
Although a car isn’t necessary to enjoy your stay as many walks are immediate accessible from the house and there is so much to do on site, travelling to the house is only possible by car.(Taxis can be hired from Thornbury).
Oldbury on Severn with Anchor pub is one minute away(excellent food)
Thornbury(golf course, shops, good restaurants, Thornbury Castle for fine dining, Ronnies restaurant fo superb modern European food, leisure centre) 3 miles away.
Bristol(suspension bridge, zoo, SS Great Britain) 15 miles.
Bath(Roman baths and Spa, iconic Georgian architecture) 40 minutes up M4.
Berkeley Castle (where Edward 2nd murdered)20 mins.
Wales, Chepstow Castle 40 mins. Brecon Beacons, Tintern Abbey, Wye canoei
The Anchor Pub in Oldbury On Severn one minute away. Great home made food.
Thornbury has Tescos, Boots, Llyods and Nat. West banks, P. O, Town Hal with tourist info. Thronbury Castle and restaurant, Ronnies, Thai, Indian restaurants, fish and chips. Golf, leisure centre.
Cattle country (large adventure play ground, death slide, rare breeds) 20 mins. away.
Somerset. Cheddar caves with Stalactite and Cheddar gorge, One hour away.
Slimbridge bird sanctuary, 40 minutes away up River Severn
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking is secured with a 25% deposit and signing of the booking contract;final balance is due 8 weeks before start of holiday,to be accompanied by returnable cheque for damages deposit of £1000Payment of initial deposit and the final balance can be via cheque or bank transfer. If booking is made within the final 8 weeks before the holiday then payment in full required.
Changeover day is Saturday. Departure time promptly at 10 am please to enable full cleaning to take place. Arrival welcome from 4pm.
Notes on prices:
Please contact for week end bookings(note usually not during peak season)
payment of 25% of total price on booking; balance 2 months before holiday starts.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The Old Rectory retains all the unique features of its Victorian origins solidly built in 1860 to attract the best vicar at the time,with servants bells, shutters, working open fires in each room and magnificent views from all the windows. There is much to do on site with an astroturf tennis court and a heated swimming pool in the orchard;croquet books, games and a library of DVDs and videos ensure you will never be bored! it is uniquely positioned in peaceful country side on the banks of the River Severn with walks from the front gate and yet within easy distance of the lovely villages of the Cotswolds, the Brecon Beacons,the Wye Valley and the Forest of Dean no more than 40 minutes away. Tennis lessons, baby sitting and in house catering can all be arranged.”
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool ...
- Private Chef
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Family bathroom with large bath, shower, basin, w. c. Ensuite bathroom has shower, basin, w. c. Separate new shower room has shower, basin, w. c. Downstairs toilet has wash basin.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom one with double bed and en suite. Bedroom 2: double bed next to large family bathroom with bath, shower and toilet. Bedroom 3:double bed adjacent to shower, toilet. Bedroom 4 : twin beds adjacent to shower, toilet. Bedroom 5 :twin beds next shower
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Notes on accommodation: This large house, an old Rectory, breathes peace and welcome. It comfortably accommodates ten people.Babies under one year go free!The bedrooms are spacious and light, all beds, linen and towels are new as are the carpets and the bathrooms. The views are wide ranging to the River Severn and the Cotswolds escarpment. At night there are owls, house martins nest under the eaves, buzzards hover and there is a resident woodpecker and thrushes. There is a wide stone hall, and ample landings and corridors. The kitchen is traditional as is the pantry and cloakroom, but with all modern necessities in place. There is a beautiful sitting room with large sash windows and shutters as well as a lovely dining room and playroom. In the old garage is table tennis and table football. There are open fires in every room and oil fired central heating with large old fashioned radiators in all rooms. Outside: There are 2 acres of landscaped gardens including a lawn around the house, with established flower beds and large hornbeam trees There is a wooden table, bench and chairs in this area. Stone steps to the croquet lawn and astroturf tennis court. Beyond this is an orchard of mature apple, plum, medlar and cherry trees with a small planting of olive trees. There is an stone surround, outdoor heated swimming pool and a small stone built shed housing the filters and pumps. The garden is hedged with mature hedging, , ]there is also a vegetable garden growing asparagus in season, and a fruit cage. A fig tree grows against the stone south facing wall. There is a long lavender hedge. A stone courtyard surrounds the back of the house where mint, sage, thyme and rosemary grow. Out houses in the courtyard hold a solid fuel supply for the open fires, a barbecue and the table tennis table. Utility Room: Washing machine, dryer. Iron, ironing board. Microwave oven. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen included, two towels and also one swimming towel included. The linen is changed at the end of the weekly let when the house is cleaned, cost of clean included in rental. If further cleaning or linen change required this can be arranged at extra Other: Dining room with large walnut table and ten chairs. Open fireplace, Internet access. Pantry with original dresser and sink. Cloakroom. with hooks for coats and storage for shoes. Tennis rackets, balls. Swimming towels