House in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England - Set In The Heart Of Seaside Aldeburgh With Large Enclosed Garden
Self catering holiday cottage accommodation in the seaside town of Aldeburgh in Suffolk. Sleeps up to fourteen guests. Large secluded garden with garden furniture and barbecue. Games room in garage. Pets welcome. Conveniently located for Southwold, Ipswich, Harwich, Felixstowe, Colchester and Lowestoft.
About the Owner
I'm the fourth generation of the Thompson family to own the Gables having spent every summer there until my 20s and now my children and grandchildren do the same. We love the sport - sailing, golf, tennis - and also just coming together as family, cooking together (the food shops in Aldeburgh are wonderful) - even just tucked away in a corner with a good book. I love seeking ways to improve the house - a few years ago I built the window seat. I love getting comments from guests in the visitors book who get as much pleasure from the house as we do.
From the Owner
“The house was bought by my great grandfather, William Frederic Thompson, in 1913, having rented it since 1880. On his death in 1921 it passed to his daughter Edith, the matriarch of English Ladies Hockey and educationalist. On her death in 1960 it passed to her nephews and nieces, including my father Oliver. Finally I bought out my siblings in 2004 and with the help of Hugh Pilkington, a local architect, brought the house up to date and made it available to share with non-family members. Aldeburgh has something for everyone which makes it ideal for multi-generational family gatherings - or shut off the top floor and enjoy it just as three couples.”
Activity and Interests
Only a 2 min. walk from beach & seafront. Shingle beach which stretches along Suffolk Coastal area. Beach is backed by promenade with fishing shacks where local fishermen bring in daily catch to sell. There is a boating lake and cottages/shops/galleries/pubs/restaurants and coastal walk to Thorpeness one way and River Alde path to Snape to west. Southwold & Walberswick are a 20 min. drive
Stansted Airport is approx. 75 miles and Southend Airport 80 miles: Aldeburgh is approx. 2.5 hr. drive from London, following A12/B1904 to Aldeburgh. Saxmundham station (5 miles/15mins. drive from Aldeburgh) links to London Liverpool St; Ipswich station with links to East Coast Rail is 30 min. drive from Aldeburgh. There is a local bus service, linking local villages.
Thorpness 2 miles. Snape Maltings 10 mins drive. Southwolk 30 mins drive. Orford 20 mins drive. Sutton Hoo 30 mins drive. Ipswich 45 mins drive. The nearest train station is Saxmunhan.
The high street contains a Co-op, delicatessens, butchers, bakers, hardware, ladies, gentlemen & young people's fashion wear; restaurants/Prezzo/Fish restaurants/pubs/wine merchant a small Cinema;Tennis courts; LaBoule area; Thorpeness Mere for boating/cycling/tennis/pubs/antique shops. Snape Maltings - the arts/music/concerts/house & living & art shops.
In September there is the Aldeburgh Food & Drink Festival to enjoy demonstrations, tastings & workshops. For those enjoying books/literature/poetry, there is the annual Literary Festival where well-known writers visit Aldeburgh Book Shop and Cinema to present their works. Aldeburgh is also well-known for its art and local and world-renown artists exhibit their works in its High St. galleries. Aldeburgh Music attracts worldwide musicians, and stages operatics, classical & modern ballets. Concerts are often held at Aldeburgh Church as well as the famous Britten Concert Hall in Snape Maltings. Aldeburgh Carnival in August is a huge attraction for all ages and a wonderful lantern parade through the town to the beach for fireworks is a magical and memorable evening. If you enjoy tennis, you can buy a 2-week membership to Aldeburgh Tennis Club.
- Booking Notes:
We are happy to accept well behaved dogs, maximum of two for a small extra charge as long as house rules are adhered to and they are never left alone in the house!
Weekly Friday to Friday. Short Breaks; Friday to Monday, Monday to Friday.
Arrival 4pm Departure 10am
Notes on prices:
We do short breaks between from January to the end of June and then from Spetember onwards (excluding xmas, N Year and Feb half term). These are 3 night weekends (Friday to Monday) and 4 night mid week breaks, Monday to Friday. Please refer to our website
www.thegablesaldeburgh.co.uk for further details on both prices and up to date availability
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Everything is within walking distance - including that rare thing, a thriving high street. I love the space in the house - ask Charlotte (my wife) and she'll say the chaise longue in Bedroom 1 where you can sit in the sun reading a book and noone knows you're there.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- bird watching
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom one - bath, shower, basin, bidet, wc. Bathroom two - bath, basin, wc. Bathroom three - shower, basin, wc. Shower room with wc and basin.
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: First Floor Bedroom 1- double with river views. Bedroom 2- twin with river views. Bedroom 3- double. Second Floor (accessed by steep stairs) Bedroom 4- double with river views. Bedroom 5- twin. Bedroom 6- double with river views. Bedroom 7- twin.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Ground Floor Sitting room with open fire, flat screen television, DVD, music system and numerous card and board games. Garden room off sitting room, with French windows leading to garden. Dining Room with open fire and table and chairs for fourteen. Kitchen / breakfast area, fully equipped with six burner gas stove , microwave, central island with two dishwashers under, large larder fridge (fridge / freezer and smaller fridge in neighbouring pantry), and pine table and chairs seating twelve. Pantry with washing machine / spin dryer, iron and ironing board. Cloakroom. Shower room with wc and basin. Drying room. First Floor Bedroom one - double with river views. Bedroom two - twin with river views. Bedroom three - double. Bathroom one - bath, shower, basin, bidet, wc. Bathroom two - bath, basin, wc. Bathroom three - shower, basin, wc. Second Floor (accessed by steep stairs) Bedroom four - double with river views. Bedroom five - twin. Bedroom six - double with river Outside: Extensive totally-fenced garden laid to lawn. Garage with table tennis. Outhouses storing wood / coal, garden furniture, barbecue, nets, buckets and spades and other beach essentials. Parking for up to five cars in the drive. Utility Room: Pantry with washing machine / spin dryer, iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and sheets are included. Beach towels are not provided. Other: Garden room off sitting room, with French windows leading to garden