Cottage in Thorpeness, Nr. Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England
This house has a magical location down a half mile sandy lane on the edge of Thorpeness in a conservation area of outstanding natural beauty. Around about you is stunning open Suffolk heathland and woodland, full of enticing walks and wonderful vistas. 1 Shellpit Cottages was part of the Ogilvie Estate, built in the 1870s by Margaret Ogilvie to provide a healthy environment for children displaced from Ipswich. It has high ceilings and original joinery, mixed with contemporary bright colours and an eclectic mix of old and new furniture. The house is owned by artists and has charismatic interiors and a relaxed atmosphere.
About the Owner
Artist and TV producer, two children, resident in London.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'This is our third time in the area and our favourite so far...'
'What a beautiful and relaxing place - and we loved the decor!'
'If the house ever comes on the market, please give me a cal!!'
'This house has soul'
'Wonderful...', 'Lovely...' 'Stunning...' 'Relaxing..'
From the Owner
“We had been looking for a holiday home in this area for a year or so and struck lucky with the Shellpits.It has the advantage of being secluded but without being too far from many amenities: the delightfully quirky Thorpeness (Known from childhood holidays) with its boating Meare and beach, Leiston, a proper working Suffolk town with all the shops you would need, and of course the famous Aldeburgh. The remarkably sculptural Sizewell nuclear power stations loom about 20 minutes walk away, lending a monolithic strangeness to the heathland coast.”
Activity and Interests
10 minutes walk to beach
This self catering holiday cottage just outside Thorpeness is situated down a half mile sandy lane. The centre of Thorpeness is just a 12 minute walk away along footpaths and is a charming holiday village largely designed by the Scottish playwright and barrister Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie a century ago, inspired by the writings of JM Barrie, author of Peter Pan.
The village has a large 60 acre boating lake - ‘Thorpeness Meare’ - with several miles of shallow water can be explored in the summer time by rowing boat. The Thorpeness Country Club has tennis courts and games rooms are often available for use during half term holidays as well as the summer months.
Thorpeness has a well-known heathland golf course, and the area is ideal for cycling and walking, both along the coast and in the countryside. It's a pleasant walk to the famous 'House in the Clouds' and Thorpeness windmill.
There are a number of shops and eateries including The Dolphin Inn, the Meare Tearoom and The Beach House restaurant (opening times vary according to the time of year).
Aldeburgh has an excellent range of restaurants, pubs and shops and restaurants.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
7 Oct 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
30 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
7 Jan 2017 - 10 Feb 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
11 Feb 2017 - 31 Mar 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Please note that prices quoted by Owners Direct may not always be accurate, so please contact owner.
Fridays - arrival 4pm, depart 10am.
£100/£200 to confirm booking. Balance due 3 weeks prior to stay. £100 security deposit returnable after leaving.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“From the front door you can walk or cycle in practically any direction of the 360 degrees of the compass, with paths criss-crossing the heathland through the RSPB conservation area. It is not unusual to see deer or Dartmoor ponies grazing the managed landscape. Brave swimmers can enjoy the North sea, a few minutes away. There are many charming local pubs, offering the local Adnams beer and good food. Sailing at Aldeburgh, tennis courts at the Thorpeness Country Club and 2 good golf courses. Cinemas in Leiston and Aldeburgh (Leiston also has an indoor swimming pool). Above all there is peace and quiet.”
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- near the sea
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom: (Downstairs) This has a bath, a w.c. and a hand basin. Shower room/utility room: (Downstairs) Shower cubicle, w.c., and a sink with a work surface, utility cupboards and fully integrated washing machine/tumble drier.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 & 2 with double beds, Bedroom 3 with twin beds
- Golf ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Sorry, no pets, smoking or unaccompanied teenagers permitted at the property. The property is located down a half mile long single track sandy lane which could make this property challenging for those with low-riding cars. The trampoline belongs to the neighbours and regrettably may not be used. Outside: The property has it's own area of lawn including summer house and patio. This lies on the edge of a one acre field which belongs to the other properties. It's a lovely place to sit and have a drink. Beyond this you'll find a network of beautiful walks, cycle tracks through woodland and open heathland. The sea is about a 10 minute walk away. Utility Room: Shower cubicle, w.c., and a sink with a work surface, utility cupboards and fully integrated washing machine/tumble drier. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: 100% cotton bed linen, towels, heating and electricity plus a welcome bottle of wine and biscuits to help you get your break off to a relaxing start. The cottage is cleaned between lets and extra cleaning can be arranged at guests' cost.