3 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, pool with rural view in peaceful location
The house is situated on the edge of the picturesque village of Villac. It is enclosed in its own private garden with a 15ft plunge pool to cool down on those lovely hot days. The location of the house provides an ideal base for exploring the Dordogne region with its beautiful views, castles, Bastide villages and relaxed French culture. It has its own boulangerie, just a two minute walk away where you can see the fresh bread being made and purchase it daily. A summer village fete and brochante are a delight, also local daily markets to explore. Alternatively just while away the day relaxing on your sun lounger on the terrace or play the local game of petangue (boules) on your own private pitch.
Top Traveller Review
Home from Home
I look forward to hearing from you.
About the Owner
Happy with partner, 3 grown children and 3 grandchildren. I have two small dogs, a Westie called Charlie and a long haired Jack Russell called Billie and 3 chickens, these are my family and are the light of my life. I have recently taken early retirement and have yet to get used to it, my partner is in the building trade. We have done most of the restoration on the house ourselves and although it has been really hard it has been a delight to see it grow from a sad little house to a happy big home.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thankyou for letting us stay in your lovely cottage. We have had a wonderful time visiting some very beautiful places, particularly Sarlat & Montignac. the weather has been amazing for us. We have been very comfortable here and really appreciate your hard work in making this a great place to be.
What a fantastic first family holiday we have had here. We have seen some amazing places and enjoyed lots of nice food and wine. Thankyou for our stay in your beautiful home.
We have really enjoyed our time here in your beautiful cottage. We have managed to visit many of the local towns including Sarlat, Montignac, Terrasson and Les Eyzies. The weather has been really kind to us so we have made good use of the sun loungers and boules kit. The bottle of wine was a lovely touch. We will definitely be returning.
1 holidaymaker review
Home from Home
Such a wonderful holiday in Chez Bake. So comfortable, large and in a quiet pretty area. The house has everything you need and very comfy sofas and beds. The garden was great for our two dogs. Terrasson and Montignac were lovely and we enjoyed a day kayaking from Montignac. Highly recommend
From the Owner
“Pure fate I believe, no real intention of buying in France. My partner was helping a friend on his property out here and saw this delightful cottage for sale. A phone call, a flight and the deal was sealed. Just fell in love with it. The complete peace and tranquillity was breathtaking, sitting listening to the crickets on my own doorstep in France was a dream I never knew I had. Needless to say eleven years on it has only just come to fruition. What initially was considered to be a project easy to achieve in quite a short period of time became a momentous project of such huge proportions at times it was hard to believe it would ever happen. No regrets though, we now have a holiday retreat which is so easy to get to. It is near enough to all amenities and far enough away to hide and enjoy.”
Activity and Interests
A beautiful beach lake called "Chasteau" is just 20mins away on the road from Terrasson towards Brive. There are picnic benches here and a café also with facilities for cycling and camping etc parking is at each end of the lake. Another nice lake "Coucou" just the Villac side of Hautefort, good cafe and evening meals in the summer. Here you can camp, cycle and walk, a beautiful area to enjoy. For children there are also more lakes with swimming areas and play facilities at Tamnies and Thenon.
Bergerac 1 hour 30min drive away
Limoges 1hr 15min drive away
Brive 30min drive away.
It is recommended to hire a car in order to have the freedom to explore the area. Cars can be hired from the airport and it is advised to book prior to flights.
Should you choose to drive the A89 motorway will bring you to within 20 minutes of the cottage where you can exit at Terrasson. From Calais it is between 9 - 10 hrs drive away.
Distances are approx
The nearest large town is Terrasson - 6km
Brive - 20km
Montignac - 10km
Lascaux - 15km
Sarlat - 30km
Beynac - 40km
Collonges la Rouge - 20km
Les Eziyes - 45km
Rocamadour - 60km
Domme - 40km
Chateau Hautefort - 15km
The house provides an ideal base for exploring the Dordogne with its beautiful views, castles, Bastide villages & relaxed French culture. The nearest town of Terrasson has a variety of restaurants, banks, chemists, supermarkets, petrol stations, food & antique shops & a weekly Thursday market to explore which it sited around the town and river where you can while away the time tasting delicious bread, cheese & wine. We are close enough to visit hundreds of beautiful towns, villages, Castles & caves including historical sites from early man through the Hundred Years War to the present day including:
Montignac - a wonderful town with riverside dining (bliss)
Chateau Hautefort, a listed historical monument is open to the public April - October
Sarlat la Caneda famed for its Saturday market through a labyrinth of alleyways
Lascaux Caves famous for the wall paintings
Font de Gaume Caves - engravings from the Magdalanian period
Village of Rocamadour - built into the cliff face, crowned by the abbey l'hospitalet
Troglodyte dwellings at La Roque Saint Christophe built by the people of the cliffs thousands of years ago
The village & Chateau of Beynac & the bastide town of Domme
The Sculptured gardens of Marqueyssac, Manoir d' Eyrignac, Chateau de Hautefort and Les Jardins de l'Imaginaire
La Roque Gageac - a captivating village on the banks of the Dordogne
Visit Chateau de Chalus Chabrol (60km) where Richard the Lionheart died in 1199. Banquets and Jousting take place here and is open April - September.
For those wine connoisseurs take a trip farther a field to the vineyards at St. Emilion & Bordeaux.
Leisure activities include ballooning, canoeing, kayaking, horse riding to name but a few in the locality. There is a public swimming pool in Terrasson, cycles can be rented from Roque Gageac or Sarlat. Canoes can be rented in Beynac where you are driven up river and can take all day to paddle back to the village - a fantastic day out for all the family.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
29 Oct 2016 - 30 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
31 Dec 2016 - 5 May 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
6 May 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
A deposit of 30% non-refundable on reservation to secure the booking, the balance due 8 weeks prior to arrival. UK sterling cheques & French Euro cheques accepted. Credit card payments accepted via PayPal. A damage deposit cheque of £200 repaid to you (less any costs for bank charges, damage, breakages or additional cleaning) within 2 weeks of departure.
Cancellations - Up to 90 days before arrival – Full refund less admin fee . 60-90 days - 50% refund less admin fee. 1-60 days – No refund.
Preferred changeover day would be Saturday but we are prepared to be flexible to meet requirements if flights are not available.
Entrance on arrival day not before 3.00pm.
Exit on departure day please leave by 10.00am.
Notes on prices:
Prices include bed-linen and towels.
£25 covers electricity usage - Over and above this will be deducted from damage deposit.
30% deposit payment to confirm booking. Remainder including £200 damage deposit to be paid 8 weeks prior to arrival. Cheques accepted GBP and Euro. Credit Card payment accepted via PayPal.
Damage deposit cheques will be shredded or cash repaid to you (less any costs for bank charges, damage, breakages or additional cleaning) within 2 weeks of departure.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We have had the opportunity to explore this wonderful region, learn of the history, enjoyed the sunshine and visited some stunning Bastide villages. We have met such wonderful people who will be friends forever and created memories which are priceless. The property is private, has an outside dining area, petang (boules) pitch and pool. Boules are provided both for adults and children. What could be nicer than al fresco dining, a few glasses of wine and a fun game of family boules. The house is cool on the inside in summer and so warm in winter you can close up, light the log burner, choose a good book to read or just rest to your hearts content.”
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Toys ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- botanical garden
- water parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Shower has own wet room space, Wash hand basin
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Wash hand basin
- En-suite to bedroom 1 with corner shower, wc and wash hand basin. Family bathroom on the ground floor has claw and ball roll top bath with side shower hose attachment, walk in wet room shower 2m x 1m wc and wash hand basin. Washing facilities here also.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 plus baby (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with mahogany king sized sleigh bed and cot. Bedroom 2 with twin single beds. Bedroom 3 with antique pine double bed. Also double sofa bed in lounge
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe
- Garden ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: This cottage was built in the 15th century & has been sympathetically renovated over the last eleven years. All the original structure has been retained although it was necessary to take the roof off in order to add the top floor & dig down in order to gain space for the bottom floor. The original fireplace is still there although it has been re-sited at one end in order to make a lovely family lounge/kitchen/dining room. An en-suite was added to the master bedroom & a large family bathroom gives two families or friends private bathing facilities. The private garden with terrace for outside dining, plunge pool, petangue pitch adds everything here for you to enjoy the perfect holiday There are 2 smoke alarms fitted in the house. A fire extinguisher, fire blanket and first aid kit are located in the kitchen. Suitable for couples, families & friends. No smoking please. 2 dogs are permitted but not in bedrooms. Thankyou. Outside: The front stable door leads onto a covered balcony which provides fabulous views of the garden and pool. Steps down take you to the newly laid patio which has a chimenee (wood to burn provided), plus folding wooden chairs & sun-loungers. A picnic bench seating 8-10 people is situated under a stunning pagoda. Adjacent to this a full sized ‘petangue’ (boules) pitch. The garden is south facing, private and self contained. It currently has a large grassed area which situates a 15ft plunge swimming pool, children’s play area & shrubbery. A small private courtyard with patio table, chairs & parasol is adjacent to and accessed from the lower double bedroom external stable door. For the romantics there is your own ‘sun downer seat’, positioned where you can sit, share a bottle of wine, watch the sun go down, star gaze & watch the satellites travel across the sky. Many unexplained lights in the sky have been reported here. Utilities: Electric fan oven and hob, fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster, blender, mixer, washing machine, iron/ironing board, central heating, log burning fire, cot, baby alarm system, high chair, children’s board games, hairdryer, stair gates, cot, satellite TV. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Inclusive in the rental - The house is cleaned, beds made and towels provided prior to arrival. Cot bedding is also provided. For those staying longer than a week an additional change for linen can be arranged for an additional charge. Beach towels 5 euro Other: A linen store is found off the family bathroom which is to be used by the maid service only. All crockery and utensils are provided. If wood is used there will be an additional charger of 30 euro which will be deducted from the bond payment