House in Middleham, Wensleydale, Yorkshire, England - Magical Tranquil Setting, Whilst Minutes Walk From Local Restaurants, Shops And Breathtaking Nature
Middleham House is a charming 18th century Georgian manor, home to the Topham family for over 200 years, set in 3 acres of private walled garden and situated in the heart of picturesque Middleham. The house offers a tranquil setting, whilst minutes walk from local restaurants, pubs, galleries and shops. Recently refurbished to a high standard, the house retains its original artworks and antiques, yet offers the latest modern facilities. The charm and atmosphere of the house reflects its two hundred years of family history and gives you the authentic elegant English private country house experience. Please visit our website for more detailed information.
About the Owner
Middleham House has been a private manor, home to our family for over 200 years. It is a jewel and fabulous house as we have spent many special moments there with our friends and family. Now restored and fully refurbished, whilst still retaining its original features and atmosphere, it offers a unique and luxurious English country house experience.
Guestbook comments from the owner
If you have stayed at our house before, we would much appreciated it if you could put some comments in our visitors Book.
From the Owner
“Between the River Cover and River Ure, Middleham House is perfectly positioned in the heart of the picturesque ancient town Middleham, just off the charming market square and next to the church. Middleham has a rich history, dating from the early Roman settlers and recorded in the Doomesday Book, to the 15th century when Richard III ruled England from Middleham Castle. Now 21st century Middleham is thriving with famous racing yards, pretty cobbled squares, cafés, tea rooms and traditional pubs. Set amidst the romantic ruins and breathtaking views of Wensleydale, looking towards the wonderful heather covered grouse moors. Middleham offers some of the best walks in Britain and the real Yorkshire Dales experience.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We can assist with organizing grouse and pheasant shootings including breakfast and lunch.
The coast at Whitby or Staithes is approximately an hour and a half away. The drive there is spectacular over the North Yorkshire Moors, whilst return via Sutton Bank would give another dimension to your stay in Yorkshire at Middleham House.
Nearest Airport is Leeds Bradford Airport, whilst nearest train station is Northallerton.
BMI baby offers competitive fly tickets to Leeds and Grand Central line offers competitive train tickets rates. Book well in advance to get the best rates.
Arrangement can be made for a private car to pick you up from the airport. It takes approximately forty minutes minutes drive from the train station and one hour drive from the airports.
Middleham House tugged away but located in the hart of Middleham Town. Another beautiful town nearby is Lebyburn. This is just ten minutes drive from the house.
Middleham House is conveniently located right in the hart of Middleham Town next to the St Akelda's Church and the famous racing staple. Therefore, it is only a few minutes walk from local shops, restaurants, pubs, galleries and cash point.
There are wonderful walks from Middleham House. Walk behind the Middleham Castle over fields to the ‘black dub’, an ancient bathing pool on the river Cover, or a longer walk across the low moor past the gallops to Pen Hill and enjoy the wonderful views when you get to the top.
Further afield, there are wonderful drives through charming Dales towns, stopping for lunch along the way at a local Dales pub, the possibilities are endless whilst the scenery is breathtaking.
Places you must visit during your stay with us include: Middleham Castle, Bolton Castle, Aysgarth Falls, The Butter Tubs, Jervaulx Abbey, Newby Hall and gardens, The Forbidden Corner and Thorp Perrow Aboretum.
Castle Howard, near York, as depicted in ‘Brideshead Revisited’ is one of the grandest private residences in Britain and would be a wonderful place to visit for the day.
We will also provide leaflets for local attractions and restaurants together with books and walking maps on the area. Contact information for private cooks, caterers.
Middleham House guests enjoy special discount rates with our preferred private cooks, caterers, beauticians, babysitters and taxi services.
- Booking Notes:
Our housekeeper will greet guests on arrival and at departure to help settle you into Middleham House, answering any queries and making sure your stay was enjoyable.
Booking can be made on line or by e-mail. A 35% deposit is required to hold your booking for you. The remaining amount including a £1000 refundable deposit is required to be fulfilled ten weeks before arrival. The latter is refund to you within 2 weeks of your departure. Our check in hours are 10 am check in and 3 pm check out.
Our preferred change over date is Friday but we are flexible depending on previous bookings. Please contact us to discuss if this is one of your requirements.
Notes on prices:
We offer discount for early bookings. This varies so please do contact us to find our more about our discounted rate. Indicated pricing for low and mid seasons are based on small group booking using up to 5 rooms. This option is not available during high seasons. Please visit our website for more detailed information.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Middleham House is a charming 18th century Georgian manor set in 3 acres of private walled garden and situated in the heart of picturesque Middleham. The house offers a tranquil setting, whilst minutes walk from local restaurants, pubs, galleries and shops. Recently refurbished to a high standard, the house retains its original artworks and antiques, yet offers the latest modern facilities. The charm and atmosphere of the house reflects its two hundred years of family history and gives you the authentic elegant English private country house experience. Middleham House sleeps up to twenty one, offering ten comfortable bedrooms and nine bathrooms, all of a consistently high standard. The formal dining room can accommodate eighteen comfortably whilst the breakfast room seats twelve.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- city centre
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 7 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 8 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 9 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- There are nine bathrooms of which four are en-suite, each with its own charming character and some with original baths and features. All bathrooms come with loos and shower heads whilst two are equipped with over head showers separately.
- 10 Bedrooms, Sleeps 21
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Bedroom 10
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 21 (10 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: There are ten spacious bedrooms each with its own charming character. All bedrooms are furnished with twin beds, 8 Super king size, 2 Emperor size and 1 double bed. Beds are made up with down feature pillows and duvets, crisp white linen and throws.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Middleham House sleeps up to twenty one, offering ten comfortable bedrooms and nine bathrooms, all of a consistently high standard. The formal dining room can accommodate eighteen comfortably whilst the breakfast room seats twelve. Fire places are working and 2 substantial wooden baskets of wood are provided per week. Beautiful linen, bathrobes and towels in all bedrooms. Beds are zip linked (twins) and an additional bed and cot is available. There are ample adults and children spaces, well equipped with music system, Wifi, tv and dvd. There are two tv and dvd players in the house. One set located in the library and one in the Children playroom. Wifi is available throughout the house. However, signals are less strong in some areas of the house. There are in total seven communal places in the house where our guests can relax or where children can play. Outside: Middleham House is surrounded by a 3 acre walled garden. There is court yard patio and barbecue facility and chairs are available. We are in the process of building a large patio area on the rear side of the house at the second entrance. Utility Room: This utility / boots room is equipped with a large original sink, two washing machine, tumble dryer, two clothes racks, iron, ironing board and ample space for storing boots and hanging coats. Also a cleaning cupboard and a useful central wooden table. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Our housekeeper will greet guests on arrival to help settle you in. Linen and bathrobes are included and clean once per week. Our guests enjoy special discounted rates with our preferred private cooks, caterers, beauticians, babysitters and taxi services. Other: Other rooms include stunning billiard room with original billiard table and lighting; traditional dinning room amongst family portraits with open fire place; breakfast room retains authentic features including the old meat hooks and children playroom.