Beach House south coast Kenya - within 30 m of sea - Ideal Family Holiday Home
A rare combination of attractions is found along the 2km near-empty sandy beach, lapped by the warm Indian Ocean. Relax on the balcony of Chale Reefs, eating freshly-roasted coconut strips, or home-made cake, while watching the gentle waves. Chale Reefs is a comfortable, fully-staffed, family house situated on a vast white sandy beach in the far south of Kenya. Spend your days swimming in the sea or the newly installed pool (Oct 2014), snorkelling, fishing, playing tennis, reading from the well-stocked shelves, bird watching and, if you are lucky, watching newly hatched turtles make their first dangerous journey down to the sea. Visit the colourful market in Msambweni, the traditional village down the beach and wonder at the shellfish, barracuda, snapper delivered to the door on a daily basis by local fishermen. Chale Reefs is a stunning setting for a memorable holiday which can be as active or as relaxing as you want.
About the Owner
When the owner retired from an international company in 1986, after 20 years of living in Kenya, the family wanted to retain a connection with this wonderful country and its people. By chance they came upon Msambweni and were at once taken by its relative remoteness and lack of tourist development. The beach was very uncrowded then and remains so now. The whole family was excited by the idea of building a house on the beach and the house was completed in 1988. Chase Reefs is regularly visited by the family, including the five grandchildren, who now live in the UK. We support village efforts particularly the voluntary Msambweni Orphans Programme and an educational charity set up by our daughter (www.etatu.org.uk)
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thank you,we had such a good week at Chale Reefs.It was so nice to arrive to familiar faces after along journey, and the staff all did a really wonderful job looking after us.That was the beginning of our holiday and set us all up really well for Christmas and the New Year. J
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Diani is about 20 kms away. It is a major tourist centre where one can make arrangements for fishing trips, diving, or game-viewing. Shimba Hills National Reserve is about 40 minutes from Diani. Tsavo National Park is three to four hours by road. The Mara can be reached by airplane from the Ukunda/Diani airport.
We will be happy to supply any further information and recommend local operators.
Kisite Marine Park is about 20kms further south of Msambweni. Captain Ali can arrange trips there as well.
The beach is blessed by two kms of fine white sand. High tide brings the sea within 10 metres of the garden; low tide exposes the teeming rock pools.
One meets few others on the beach: a few fishermen and the occasional tourist. The Turtle Watch supervisor, Captain Ali, can take visitors out in his 'ngalawa' (local fishing boat) for snorkelling trips to the reef. He can also escort visitors to watch seasonal turtle hatching.
Overseas visitors usually come to Mombasa airport. The drive to Chale Reefs is about 1 1/2 hours across the Likoni ferrry and South to Msambweni.
There are flights from Nairobi to Ukunda/Diani which avoids Mombasa and is a much shorter transfer. The drive to Msambweni is almost all on tarmac, with just the last couple of kilometers on a dirt road. Precise directions will of course be given to visitors. Alternatively we can supply contact details for trusted taxis that we use.
Mombasa 45 kms
Diani 22 kms
In Diani the major banks have ATM machines. In addition to all the facilities usually found in a small town, there are plenty of restaurants, travel operators and curio shops.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
2 Feb 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
1 Jan 2017 - 15 Dec 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Notes on prices:
The prices quoted above are for four people.An increment of $12.50 per person per night will be charged for 5-8 people and consideration will be given to children as part of those larger groups. 15% deposit secures the booking and full payment 4 weeks before arrival. .|Arrival dates are flexible, likewise the length of stay. Arrival in daylight is recommented
15% deposit confirms the booking. Payment in full, 4 weeks before arrival
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- bird watching
- whale watching
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- All bedrooms have their own shower, basin and w.c. Two also have a bath. There is one additional bathroom with shower, basin and w.c. downstairs.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Three of the four bedrooms have verandah access, and all have large mosquito nets, ceiling fans, built-in cupboards and a lockable drawer. One room has air-conditioning. There is also cot and mattress available, with net.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Chale Reefs has always been very much a family home, and is ideal for a relaxing holiday. The beach is safe for children, with plenty of pools at low tide. The upstairs verandah and walkway have webbing to prevent toddlers endangering themselves and there are gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. The tennis court is on the top part of the plot as is the newly installed pool (Oct 2014) with extensive paved surrounds for sunbeds and its own large pool house. Outside: The house is at beach level with large gardens on all four sides. The beach is just 30 meters from the house. The new swimming pool is on the top plot with plenty of sunbeds and a large pool house when it gets too hot. There is also a tennis court, with a covered 'banda' where one can sit and enjoy the action. Utility Room: Laundry and ironing is done daily by the staff. Linen and towels are provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bakari looks after guests requests and the pool. Wima is the cook and is helped in the house by Chigwe. Hamisi tends the garden. There are two night watchmen. Mwanamisi, our family ayah (nanny), can be employed to help with small children. Other: There is an extensive library catering for just about every taste as well as a good selection of games, cards and jigsaws.