House in Gensac, St Emilion, Gironde, Aquitaine, France - Only A 20 Minute Walk (or Short Drive) To The Pretty Village Of Gensac.
The centuries old house has been renovated retaining charm and character, whilst ensuring all the comforts of contemporary living. Relax and explore our vines, fields, woods and river! You enter the house from the morning-sunny flower-filled front garden. With spectacular views over the valley this is a peaceful spot to enjoy breakfast. The south/south west facing garden is a sheltered, sunny spot for long leisurely lunch and evening meals. The large open cooking, eating, relaxing space contains a fully equiped kitchen, dining, squishy sofas and arm chairs. Running, walking and cycling routes are available or enjoy the tranquility of the garden with a book! You're welcome to a tour of the vineyards and winery, followed by a commented wine tasting.
The ground floor is one very spacious open cooking, eating, relaxing space. The kitchen has fridge, freezer, oven, hob, dishwasher, etc., and all the cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery required for serving up to 12 people! The dining table overlooks the valley, with views stretching across the wooded banks on the opposite side of the river. The living room has a sofa and armchairs with books, games and a TV. The TV is suitable only for playing DVD - bring along your favourites or you're welcome to borrow from our extensive library.
On the first floor are two large bedrooms, each with a double bed, wardrobe, drawers, etc. There is a private shower room to one bedroom, plus a family bathroom accessible from the landing, also suitable as a private bathroom for the second bedroom.
The gardens front and back offer views of the valley and our own vineyards. Garden furniture ensures a sunny or shady spot for sunbathing, or sitting quietly with a book or glass of wine.
Garden games are available - football, rugby balls, badminton, frisbee, basketball, boules, ......
We make the beds up ready for your arrival and provide household towels, you just need to bring your own pool/beach towels.
About the Owner
Nick, Helen and our three children (aged 12, 9 and 6 at the time!) moved to France in 2004. We combine working in the vines and winery, with welcoming visitors for wine tours and tastings, as well as hosting guests in the holiday house.
We love the complete contrast to our former careers, however there are days when I really miss dressing in "business-wear"!!
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Tours of the vineyard and winery followed by commented wine tastings are available for all our guests.
We run regular open days, usually with a vine growing or wine making theme.
The nearest beaches are at Lac de Cadie (10 minutes) or Lac de Blasimon (15 minutes). The south west coast is fantastic for surfing, long sandy beaches and sand dunes. Lacanau and Biscarosse are both approx 1 hour 15 mins. The Dune de Pyla (the highest sand dune in Europe) is magnificent to climb with the most amazing views across the Bassin d'Arcachon. There are fishing villages and oyster farms dotted around the Bassin d'Arcachon and a wild bird sanctuary at Test de Buch.
The airport at Bergerac is about 40 minutes drive. Ryanair and Flybe flights arrive from various UK airports. A number of car hire companies have offices at Bergerac.
Bordeaux airport is around 1 hour 15 mins drive with BA, AirFrance, EasyJet and Ryanair flights arriving. Car hire is available from the main airport building.
Drive from St Malo or Caen in approx 6 hours; Dieppe, 8 hours or Calais approx 10 hours.
A car is essential to explore this fascinating region.
The house is a short walk to nearest village where there are two restaurants, boulangerie, boucherie, small grocery store, as well as pharmacist, doctor and bank machine. The restaurants serve a range of set menu value-for-money lunches and evening meals, as well as tapas and lighter meals. Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, a scenic riverside setting, with a lively Saturday morning market is only 10-15 minutes by car. The charm of St Emilion is only 30 minutes drive.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£335|
The house is available for short breaks as well as longer stays. During July and August, we accept weekly bookings with Saturday being the changeover day. You are welcome between 4pm and 7pm on your arrival day. Departure by 10am on your final day. We try to be as flexible as possible and recognise that some people would like early arrival or late departure. With advanced notice we can organise arrival and departure hours to suit you, for which an additional charge will be made.
Notes on prices:
Prices include all household linen and utilities. The only additional charge is for logs for the wood burner. Please bring your own pool/beach towels.
We offer a reduction in price for two people using one bedroom with shower or bathroom. Please contact Helen for details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- botanical garden
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite shower room to bedroom 1 has shower, wc and wash basin. The bathroom, accessible from the landing, has bath, wc and wash basin.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleep 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 has double bed with en-suite shower room. Bedroom 2 has double bed, additional daybed that converts to a full-sized single bed and adjoining bathroom.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: As well as radiators, the house has a wood burner making the house cosy and warm at any time of the year! Bring your own DVDs or borrow from our extensive collection. We provide a selection of board games and books, so you have plenty of options for relaxing evenings at home, including easy access to award winning wines! We leave a selection of our wines in the holiday house for you choose from. To help plan your places to visit, we provide brochures, tips for days out and guide books. Walking, cycling and running routes are provided, as well as local maps for you to plan your own routes. For the comfort and safety of all our guests, there is no smoking on the property and sorry, but we are not able to accept any animals. Outside: The morning-sunny front garden is equiped with a table and chairs. The south/south-west rear garden has dining table and chairs, parasol and barbecue. The rear garden opens onto the vines - you are welcome to stroll wherever you like and there is a large area of grass suitable for badminton, boules, football, frisbee, etc. We have 50+ acres of land to explore with a small river, woods and an ancient tomb! Swimming in the local freshwater spring-fed lake is perfect for cooling down on hot days. The gently sloping beach makes the water safe and accessible for all ages. We have a number of outdoor games - boules, badminton, football, frisbee, rugby balls, etc. Bike hire is available locally as is canoing, horse riding, acrobranch, golf at all levels, water sports at a local lake and surfing on the Atlantic beaches. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen and household towels are provided. Please bring your own pool/beach towels. For stays of more than a week, we change the linen and towels weekly and can also arrange weekly cleaning to suit you.