House in Montacute, Somerset, Yeovil, England - Quiet Village Location, Perfect Base To Explore Montacute & Surrounds Or Venture Further
Banksia Cottage is situated in the heart of Montacute, and all the village’s attractions, including the majestic National Trust property Montacute House, are less than 6 minutes leisurely stroll from the front door. The cottage sleeps 6 comfortably, and has been extended to provide additional, open plan living space. It is furnished to a high standard to make your stay relaxing and comfortable. With three bedrooms, plus open plan living area and separate reading room/ parents retreat, as well as separate dining room and lounge room, Banksia Cottage is ideal for families, friends or couples.
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful home from home
About the Owner
We live in Australia, and on our first visit to the UK in 1996, we both fell in love with England. We've returned many times on holidays since then.
4.7 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Beautiful home from home
We spent a lovely week at Banksia Cottage. I would certainly recommend it. It is well-equipped, tastefully decorated and the family room is fabulous! The pictures don't do it justice! Everything you need for a perfect break in a beautiful part of the country - there really is so much to do. Just a shame the weather didn't permit us to make use of the garden!
This is our third time at the cottage and it works for us its comfortable cosy well-equipped and clean & tidy also close by is a person (Dave) who is on hand if you need anything which is nice to know .we will be returning next year thanks for a lovely stay at your cottage
Montacute is a very friendly place conveniently situated for Yeovil and the Somerset levels. Banksia cottage matched its description and was very comfortable and well appointed. There are 2 local hosteleries both of which serve real ale and good food. We would certainly stay again and would recommend to others.
From the Owner
“In 2007, we got the opportunity to live and work in England. We found ourselves in Montacute, and we absolutely loved it. We stayed for 4 years, and only the lure of a secure job and the imminent arrival of grandchildren dragged us reluctantly back to Australia. When the chance to buy a property in Montacute came up, we couldn't pass it up. It's a beautiful village. One day, we hope to be able to live 6 months in Montacute and 6 months in Australia.”
Activity and Interests
Access by road - from the A303, take the A3088 exit at the Cartgate Roundabout, which leads you to the village. Berrys Coaches runs a twice daily service between London and Yeovil (the Cartgate Roundabout is one of their stops. A 10 minute taxi ride connects you to Montacute.
Exeter International Airport is only 50 minutes drive and Bristol International Airport is only 1 hour 10 minutes away.
South West Coaches offers 11 services a day between Montacute and either Yeovil or South Petherton.
In less than an hour visit Bath, Longleat Safari Park, Cheddar Gorge, Wells, the Wookey Hole, Glastonbury Tor & Abbey ruins, Clarks Village shopping outlet, Stourhead House & Garden, Stonehenge, Durdle Door & Lulworth Castle, Weymouth, Lyme Regis, Salisbury Cathedral, the Cerne Abbas giant, and Sherborne, with its historic Abbey.
There are so many classic English pubs offering sumptuous cuisine and real English ales and bitter within an hour's drive, you'll need a month to visit them all.
-The magnificent Montacute House, which hosts a permanent exhibition from the National Portrait Gallery
-Montacute TV, Toy and Radio Museum offers a nostalgic trip back in time to memories just yearning to be re-awakened
- St Catherines Church, parts of which date back to the 12th century
- The stunningly beautiful former gatehouse to the Cluniac Priory – now a private residence
- The village pub atmosphere of the Phelips Arms
- The country hotel cuisine of the Kings Arms
Montacute is the perfect base to explore beautiful English countryside on foot, bicycle or car. Within Montacute itself and the immediate surrounds, you will be fascinated by the sights and sounds on these walks:
- Ladies Walk starts behind the school and takes you through woods where the bluebells are magnificent in April and the canopy of majestic trees leads you to the Roman Road, Hollow Lane and back down into the village (45 mins)
- St Michael’s Hill – From St Catherine’s church, follow the lane past the site of the Cluniac Priory over ancient public rights of way to the site of a Norman Castle (the terraces are still visible) and the imposing Folly built on St Michael’s by the Phelips family in 1760. The views over the Somerset Levels, Quantock and Mendip Hills and the Dorset and Wiltshire Downs are stunning (1 hour)
- For a longer walk, continue past St Michael’s Hill, around Hedgecock Hill to Ham Hill. This walk takes you through farmland and woods to the Prince of Wales hotel on Ham Hill, where you can marvel at the magnificent views of the surrounding area. Allow extra time for a meal and a pint of English ale at the pub
- Montacute House parklands and garden walks give you stunning views of this magnificent building which dates from the 16th century. The dramatic West Drive avenue, the North Garden, the East Court bounded on three sides by Ham stone walls, the historic Pudding Houses and the beautiful gardens will be memories for a lifetime.
- Booking Notes:
20% deposit secures your booking, with the balance due four weeks before you arrive. Payment by credit card or direct deposit.
Arrival time is after 3pm, and we ask you vacate the property by 10am to allow time for cleaning.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Montacute is the quintessential English village. There is so much to do in the village, within a short walk from the village, or further afield.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- children welcome
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- The newly renovated bathroom features a deliciously comfortable free standing slipper bath with overhead shower, a heated towel rail, and WC. Separate cloakroom conveniently located on the ground floor, with WC and handbasin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Spacious loft room extending the full length of the cottage, with King Size bed and views of the countryside through two velux windows, Bedroom 2 with double bed and Bedroom 3 with twin beds.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Private enclosed back garden includes outdoor dining area with dining setting. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included. The cottage is cleaned after each letting, or if lettings extend longer than a week, cleaning is done weekly. Towels and bed linen are changed with each cleaning.