Cottage in Holycross, Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland - Peaceful Location Beside The River Suir In The Centre Of The Village 5 Mins Walk From The Abbey
Holiday in a thatched cottage situated in the picturesque village of holycross, tipperary. Enjoy a break by the banks of the river suir. It’s perfect for summer holidays with families or peaceful winter retreats. The cottage is just a few minute’s walk from holycross abbey, an impressive restored cistercian monastery, founded in 1180. Holycross is 3 miles from thurles and 7 from cashel, the original seat of the irish kings. The central location of holycross cottages makes an excellent base for day trips to other parts of ireland within easy access for dublin and cork by road or rail.
About the Owner
The cottage is our family retreat. I am a podiatrist and my husband works in higher education. We've been coming to the cottage for years and our older children are now beginning to making their way 'under their own steam' to get to Holycross. We visit at least once or twice a year and have help from family and friends nearby to clean and care for the premises. We love the enthusiasm for culture, art, music and history in Ireland and hope that you enjoy some of this tradition both by visiting the cottages as well as the towns and villages nearby.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"...thank you for a lovely stay, the cottage was really cozy and the children had a wonderful time.." Clare and family.
"...we enjoyed our second visit just as much as the first, the cottage was lovely and clean..." John.
"...this was a wonderful place to stay and discover Ireland at our own pace. We'll definitely be back, thank you" Michael and family.
From the Owner
“We bought the cottage when it was in a state of disrepair and since then have repaired and fully refurbished the cottage throughout. During this time we’ve discovered the views of the river and mountains in snow, rain, frost fog and even sunshine! We love the welcome and the pride that local people have in the beauty of Holycross village. You can be as remote in rural Ireland or connected to the town as you choose. Mostly the beauty is under your nose. The latest modernisation was masterminded by the late Joe Byrne, an expert photographer, who captured much of the wildlife seen by the river. His display now stands at one of the entrances to the field showing some of the local wildlife. We hope you enjoy staying in the cottage and village as much as we do.”
Activity and Interests
Tipperary is in the 'mid-south' central area of ireland, the 'golden vale'. Nearest beaches are about 1 hours drive away to dungarvan, youghal, waterford or tramore. Sandy beaches with developed resorts as well as remote quiet areas can easily be found.
Nearest airports are dublin, cork or shannon, all less than 2 hours drive away, or approx 2 hours by train for cork or dublin airport. Nearest channel ports are dublin port [or dun laoghaire harbour], waterford, cork or rosslare. The nearest station is thurles [3 miles away] to dublin or cork. There is also a good taxi service to the village. Use of a car or bike is recommended for touring.
The village is dominated by holycross abbey, along with 3x pubs, 2 food stores/shops, a cafe and restaurant. Thurles is 3 miles away with a comprehensive shopping centre, town shops, a variety of stores, hurling stadium, dograce track, garage and trade services. Cashel, 7 miles away has an ancient castle, originally the seat of the irish kings and subject of a first royal visit; cahir, 15 miles away has a castle beside the river and swiss cottage. Clonmell [40 mins drive] offers more shops and country.
The cottage offers a uniquie location for peaceful retreats, visiting friends, a base for touring the towns, villages and mountains or just a chance to visit rural ireland. Holycross abbey is an impressive restored cistercian monastery, founded in 1180. Outside the village, thurles offers shops, restaurants, supermarkets, banks with atm facilities, a leisure centre, library and exhibitions. Popular with cyclists, walking, fishing, horseriding and crafts including stone carving courses are all possible within the village.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Weekly lettings (normally sat-sat) are available throughout the year. We will be flexible on bookings wherever we can be. Contact to confirm availability and prices.
Preferred changeover day saturday, however we will be as flexible as possible where we have availability to do so, as with arrival and departure times. The cottage is available from 14:00 onwards and departure is requested no later than 10:00.
Notes on prices:
Payments accepted in Euro or Sterling
Discounts available for multiple weeks. Please contact for availability for rentals from 4-7 nights. Reservations secured with a 20% deposit with the balance payable 4 weeks before arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Activities including: walking, cycling, running, golf, fishing, horse-riding, bird watching, dog racing, hurling matches, stonemasonry, music, theatre, pubs and restaurants, shopping, historic visits, religious visits and relics, are all nearby. Holycross, Thurles [3m], Cashel [7m] are all centres of culture, commerce, and trade. Information and advice is readliy available and the local shops and pubs are always able to provide information and advice on local events. Ireland is there for you to discover from a traditional location.”
- Away From It All
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Separate showeroom and separate toilet: bathroom with walk-in shower, basin, mirror and shaver socket. Separate wc with basin an mirror. No en-suite rooms.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 7 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, bedroom 2 with single bed, bedroom 3 (upstairs)with twin beds [plus a sofa on the mezzanine floor (sleeps 1) for occasional visitors].
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The cottages were built in the form of traditional irish cottages with a central fireplace and all rooms off the living room. The accomodation has been modernised recently including a new kitchen, shower room, and upstairs mezzanine floor overlooking the living room. This can be a quiet hide-away from downstairs or a great area to play games or watch TV. Outside: The cottage is sited off road, in the centre of the village in a quiet private field with 9 other cottages. A private road-way takes you to the river bank and across to the abbey and traditional pub in less than 5 mins walk. The pub has wireless access, serves food all day and there is a shop and bakery across the road. Holycross abbey is the parish church and centre for pilgrims, visitors are always welcome. Utility Room: Ironing board and iron as well as clothes airers are included Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen is included, guests are asked to bring their own towels, the property is cleaned and linen changed weekly for each rental. Sorry, we cannot allow any pets. Other: Oil-fired combination central heating boiler heats the whole cottage and hot water whenever needed. All electricity and oil is included in the rental. Off-road parking and stepping stone path takes you to the cottage entrance.