Farmhouse in Vieux Mareuil, Nr. Brantôme, Aquitaine, France - A Tranquil Location In The Heart Of The Countryside with Magnificent Wide Views
This converted barn and farmhouse is at the end of a small road so that, while on the edge of the village, it has open spaces in all directions. The house is large, comfortable and very well set up with many original features and all necessary equipment. The pool, set in a wide lawn, is 5mx10m with safety gate, fencing, an inside ledge and lights above and below the surface. There are swings and a small 'pirate boat' in the garden and two large terraces, each with table and chairs. Inside there are three bedrooms downstairs, two ensuite, two with French windows to the garden, and a study with a sofabed, a large sunny sitting/dining room and kitchen. There is a separate downstairs lavatory and wash basin. The kitchen is well equipped and there is a separate laundry room. Upstairs there are three bedrooms with two bathrooms one of them ensuite with bath and shower, and a balcony looking out over the garden.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
About Andrea Walker
We live in London and enjoy our visits to France very much, especially with our family. Speaking French to the best of our ability is part of the fun.
Andrea Walker purchased this farmhouse in 1998
Why Andrea Walker chose Perigord Vert
We were staying with friends nearby and saw lots of buildings ripe for conversion. We bought this property which was then an unconverted 'fermette' and barn: it was too tempting to resist! We really enjoyed the building works and planning and we have now settled in and met people around us.
We love the area because it is so beautiful and unspoilt. It is a house which is big enough for all our family to be there together which is what we hoped for but by its nature it is equally comfortable to accommodate just two people on their own. Lots for children to explore and enjoy and lots for adults to explore and relax.
What makes this farmhouse unique
It is near to many interesting historic towns, villages and chateaux and surrounded by lovely places to walk. Brantome is an exciting and interesting place and offers the opportunity to canoe, explore and eat delicious meals in a lovely setting.
When the weather is good there is nothing better than to relax beside the pool, swim and enjoy the lovely (huge) garden. The lawn is large and offers space for games, the paths and planting are lovely to explore and there are swings to enjoy as well.
(1 traveller reviews)
The property and contents were superb and I cannot fault any single part of it. The property exceeded our expectations and there were plenty of games and pool accessories to keep all children and adults entertained no matter what age. The nearby town (10kms) of Brantome is a delight and rivals any of the Dordogne towns for its quaint shops, bars and river. I would recommend this property for any large family or families wishing to stay together in one place.
From the Owner
“We were staying with friends nearby and saw lots of buildings ripe for conversion. We bought this property which was then an unconverted 'fermette' and barn: it was too tempting to resist! We really enjoyed the building works and planning and we have now settled in and met people around us. We love the area because it is so beautiful and unspoilt. It is a house which is big enough for all our family to be there together which is what we hoped for but by its nature it is equally comfortable to accommodate just two people on their own. Lots for children to explore and enjoy and lots for adults to explore and relax.”
Activity and Interests
There are several river beaches within half an hour's drive, some suitable for all ages. One at Aubeterre has sand as well and small children love it.
There are airports at Bergerac and Limoges and a small airport at Angouleme which is about forty minutes drive away and very convenient.
There is a good train service to Angouleme using Eurostar and then the TGV from either Paris or Lille.
A car is necessary and can be hired from airports or railway station.
Many visitors come by car and there is space for parking three cars beside the property.
Vieux Mareuil is between Angouleme and Perigeux, each of which is about thirty five minutes drive and provides a lively and interesting urban setting. The historic town of Brantome is about ten minutes drive away and has lots of things to see and do including boating, and our local shopping is in Mareuil-sur-Belle, just over five minutes away by car. There are lots of chateaux and historic places close by which are open to the public and well worth a visit.
Mareuil-sur-Belle has a good range of shops including a bank, supermarket, baker, butcher, greengrocer and electrical goods with a market every Tuesday in the central square.
There are many good restaurants around and details are available at the house.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
23 Jun 2017 - 24 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Bookings are from Saturday to Saturday, arrival time from 4.00pm and leaving time by 10.00am A deposit of 20% is required with the return of the booking form and the balance is paid eight weeks before the start date for the booking.
Saturday. Arrive after 4pm and leave by 10am. Tenants arrange precise times with the gardienne at the beginning and end of their holiday.
Notes on prices:
Linen can be supplied at an additional cost per bed of £5 to include bath towels. Weekly rates are shown on the schedule.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
From the Owner
“It is near to many interesting historic towns, villages and chateaux and surrounded by lovely places to walk. Brantome is an exciting and interesting place and offers the opportunity to canoe, explore and eat delicious meals in a lovely setting. When the weather is good there is nothing better than to relax beside the pool, swim and enjoy the lovely (huge) garden. The lawn is large and offers space for games, the paths and planting are lovely to explore and there are swings to enjoy as well.”
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- paddle boating
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite to bedroom 1, bath, shower, wc, basin En-suite to bedroom 2, bath with shower, wc, basin En-suite to bedroom 3, shower, wc, basin Shared bathroom for bedrooms 4 and 5, bath with shower, wc, basin. Separate WC with basin downstairs.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 13
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, Upstairs with a small balcony
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 4 Single Bed, Large room with sloping ceiling,
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Single Bed, with hand basin
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 13 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed Bedroom 2 with double bed Bedroom 3 with double bed Bedroom 4 with twin beds Bedroom 5 with four beds and slightly restricted headroom at the sides. Bedroom 6 with single bed
- Golf ...
- Max. occupancy: 13
- children welcome
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The accommodation combines period features with a modern bright and spacious interior. At the heart of the house is the large sunny living and dining room with the kitchen at the end.The big barn door is glazed and forms the entrance and the room looks out over the valley with window seats and deep windows. The doors open directly on to one of the two terraces. On one side is the original farmhouse comprising the study and two bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms. On the floor above the sitting room and the farm house are three more bedrooms and two bathrooms, one ensuite. The room over the farm house provides an ideal space for several children to share and it works well. The arrangment of the space makes it simple for two families to share while retaining a degree of separation if they wish, or even for a small number of people who, because of the layout, will not feel that it is too big. There is plenty of storage space and the children's room has a little rocking chair. Outside: There is a large garden including a combination of lawn and some planted beds with intersecting paths. There are two main terraces, one by the house and the other looking out over the surrounding countryside. There are seats in several places and a 'play' area with swings and a wooden hut/boat for small children. The pool is 5mx10m with a saline system so it is fresh and does not smell of chlorine. It has a security fence and a safe gate and within this is an area of grass and a paved surround to the pool. There are lights both outside and inside the pool which makes it good for an evening swim in warm weather. There is a covered area outside the kitchen with plenty of room to eat out if shelter is needed and there is a small table there. There is also a table tennis table with bats and balls available for use, and a barbecue. The two terraces each have a table and chairs. Utility Room: Washing machine and tumble dryer and the boiler. There is also a large sink so things like muddy clothes may be washed there. There is a folding rack so swimming things can be hung on that in the sun to dry. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Cleaning is thorough and efficient with each letting. Linen and towels are for hire at £5 per bed. If tenants ask the guardienne, she will come in to clean during their stay but this will cost extra. Other: Study with separate television (French channels only). Comfy sofabed and chairs and book case with lots of books. This room has a door to the outside terrace. Off the study is a corridor to the two downstairs bedrooms.