Villa in Lugar de Serra, Covas, near Vila Nova De Cerveira, Costa Verde, Portugal - Excellent Village Ameneties. Easy Access To Walking, Beach, Rivers, Historic Towns, National Parks
Northern Portugal is the unspoilt part of Portugal, a nature lovers haven with a host of flora and fauna including wild horses, boar and wild cats. The whole region is a walkers paradise, with an assortment of terrain, there are walks for every level amidst the beautiful countryside and hills as well as along the rivers and coast. The area is excellent for birdwatching, there are many varieties here including Nightjar's and Black Redstarts in the garden and Red Kites and Eagles in the mountains. There is good fishing both in the sea and rivers. For the artist, both the town buildings and rural/coastal scenery are perfect for the talented. Fresh rolls are baked all day at the nearest bar/cafe/restaurant/shop which is only closed on Monday. All the restaurants serve a "Dish of the day" which is an inexpensive lunch including bread, wine,and coffee every day either indoors or outside, the perfect way to enjoy the meal at the same time as the weather and watch village life pass by.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
The owners are an English couple who retired to Portugal eight years ago for the quiet life, and we were not disappointed! We hope we have succeeded in generating a lovely holiday cottage, you be the judge!. We love Covas and are confident that you will have a wonderful holiday in this village with its easy access to all the other parts of North Portugal.
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Lovely villa, very peaceful, a real find! within walking distance of some very good restaurants in the village. We were welcomed by John and Caroline who kindly gave us a tour when we arrived which helped get us up to speed that bit quicker on how to go about things. Lovely part of the world!
Excellent in everything !
First my apologies to John & Caroline for the delay in writing this - we wanted to secure our next years holiday here before we exalt the virtues !
1) House - Stunning, beautiful .. when we arrived we were blown away. We have stayed in high quality Villas/houses all over Spain/France/Italy this is without doubt the best we have ever rented.
The pool and surroundings are fabulous, the living area is huge and bedrooms are all very good sized all with ensuites, however we spent most of our time outside. The villa was spotlessly clean and very well maintained. John & Caroline obviously know what people need on holiday as the kitchen was well stocked with plates, glasses, plastic cups, ice trays, utensils and many bottle openers & cork screws !
The setting is rural - very rural, although there are some other properties close by we saw very few people near the house. This means that you can make as much noise as you like at anytime (sorry John !)
2) John & Caroline - could not have been more helpful & friendly nothing was too much trouble, on arrival John showed us around Covas and the area and during our stay we met with them in the local taverna and shared a small glass or 2 !
3) Covas - Covas is essentially a valley with a number of hamlets in it - near to the house (15-20minutes +) walking time are 4-5 bars and 3 restaurants - we spent much time at Bar Dias - food excellent and inexpensive.
4) Location - the house is around 15/20minutes on a winding road to Vilanova de Cerveira which is a small very pretty town with bars and restaurants & some shops. Caminha is a larger town and is about 20 minutes from the house with shops, restaurants and beaches. We travelled down the coast and use some of the beaches between Caminha and Viana do Castelo they are all beautiful if sometimes a little windy !
All in all - we would definitely recommend the house, the people, and the area. The Portugese people were friendly and genuine, the area unspoilt and beautiful, the food and drink inexpensive and very good.
So impressed - we have booked for 3 weeks next year !!
See you in August John and Caroline.
Miles, Kimberley, Stacie, Trevor, Rohan, Tristan, Raife, Niven and Soren !
Holiday in Covas
A beautifully maintained and extremely well equipped villa that had everything we could possibly ask for. It was spacious both inside and out with many happy hours spent around the fabulous pool and meals at the huge oak table on the patio. We all thoroughly enjoyed exploring the area, going to the beach, weekly markets, local cafes and restaurants as well as just walking to the village. John and Caroline we can't thank you enough for all your hospitality, local guidance and information so that we could make the most of every day in Covas. We all had such a wonderful time and hope to return for another visit.
From the Owner
“North Portugal is a quiet, peaceful and tranquil area. Covas is situated in a wooded valley surrounded by mountains but only thirty minutes from the sea. Self contained in terms of facilities yet only thirty minutes from both small and large towns. With the climate, flora and fauna, for us the best of all worlds.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Horse riding available locally. Water skiing, surfing and kayaking(30 mins). Walking and birdwatching. Good fly fishing on the River Coura in the village. Bike hire also available.
The nearest beach is in the ancient picturesque town of Caminha which is at the mouth of the Minho river. This is approximately 25 minutes away by car and where you can access both the river and the beautiful white sandy but uncrowded beaches of the Atlantic. Parking is easy and there are bar/restaurants close to hand. There are many more beaches to be found along the coast road in the direction of Viana do Castelo, the largest and most beautiful historic town of the region, a must to visit.
Porto is the nearest airport and is approximately one hour away by car and is served by flights from the UK with operators BA, Iberia, TAP, Ryanair and Easyjet. The journey from Porto is along the A28 which is very quiet by motorway standards and the latter part through lovely countryside. Spain is just the other side of the Minho River and can be easily reached across the bridge at Vila Nova de Cerveira or by the short ferry journey from Caminha. The ferry port of Santander is about 6 hours.
Baiona 60 Km
Braga 72 Km
Caminha 25 Km
Monte Aloia National Park 32 Km
Peneda Geres National Park 80 Km
Ponte de Lima 25 Km
Porto Airport 100 Km
Santander 660 Km
Santiago de Compostela 139 Km
Valenca 25 Km
Viana do Castelo 38 Km
Vigo, Spain 57 Km
Vila Nova de Cerveira 14 Km
The village centre is approximately 1.5 km. Away and there are 4 bar/cafe/restaurants, post office, A.T.M., mini-market, and shop are just few minutes drive, or reasonable walking distance within the village. There is also a petrol station in the village. Specialist sea food restaurants, restaurants, assorted shops, banks, hospital, cinema and a large supermarket are just 20 minutes drive away in Vila Nova de Cerveira.
The North is one of the less well-known regions of Portugal but contains some of the country's most diverse, dramatic and unspoilt scenery.
Porto (aka Oporto) the region's capital and Portugal's second largest city is just over an hour away. It is an attractively quirky, hillside city that, along with neighbour Vila Nova de Gaia, is home to the famous port wine industry. A guided tour of one of the port lodges is highly recommended as you get a fascinating insight into how the wine is made and plenty of free tastings! Many parts of the north of Portugal are characterised by carefully tended vineyards and the wine they produce here is some of the best in the country.
Northern Portugal's coastline, known as the green coast welcomes laid-back surfers and other watersports enthusiasts while divers are attracted to its marine life and numerous, interesting wrecks.
Wide open spaces, lush valleys and bleak mountains, its rural charm and lack of pollution all make it a popular destination with walkers, cyclists, horse-riders and anglers. Some of the region's natural highlights include the Peneda-Geres national park, and the natural parks of Serra da Estrêla, Montezinho, Alvão and Douro Internacional. Here amongst areas of outstanding natural beauty, you'll find rare plants and animals and ancient villages offering a friendly welcome and fresh local delicacies. You'll soon feel a world away from your every day life!
Finally did you know that the kingdom of Portugal was first proclaimed in the 12th century in the north of the country.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please make initial contact regarding availability by email. If you have a landline phone number in Europe I will be very pleased to call you. To secure a booking a non-returnable deposit 25% of the total cost is payable to secure the reservation. The remaining balance is payable six weeks prior to arrival. Payment accepted in euros or sterling by bank transfer. Please make clear any special requirements at the time of booking. We will always try our best to accommodate any reasonable request.
The preferred changeover day is Saturday but other days are possible by arrangement. It can be booked for any number of nights, with any starting or finishing date. The villa needs to be vacated by 10.00 a.m. and is available from 4.p.m.
Notes on prices:
Prices are per week in £/sterling for maximum of 9/12 persons.
Prices are available per week for 6 to 8 people using 4 bedrooms at about £150 per week less than the listed prices.
Prices are available per week for up to 5 people using 3 bedrooms at about £200 per week less than the listed prices.
Please advise by email the number of people, dates and which configuration of bedrooms are required and firm quotation will be provided.
There are special rates for extended period rentals.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Not overlooked by any other properties, yet within walking distance of all local facilities. The access road only leads to an old ruin, so there is no passing traffic.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 3 x en-suite bathrooms with bath/shower over, bidet, hand basin and W.C. 2 x en-suite bathrooms with bath/shower over, hand basin and W.C. 1 x bathroom with shower, hand basin and W.C. All bathrooms are fully tiled with towel rails, shaver sockets etc.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 1 twin en-suite(bath/shwr, bidet, h/b. W.C.) 2 dble en-suite(bath/shwr, bidet, h/b. W.C.) 3 dble en-suite(bath/shwr, h/b, W.C.) 4 twin en-suite(bath/shwr, h/b. W.C.) 5 twin bunk room.(shwr, h/b, W.C. Adj) 6 dble en-suite(bath/shwr, bidet, h/b. W.C.)
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Central heating is available at additional cost by arrangement. This property was originally a woodsman's house, the first part originally built in the 18th Century. The first extension probably took place in the 19th Century. The last extension was started in the 1990's and was abandoned in about 1995. We purchased the property in 2009 and set about designing and refurbishing the property to a standard to satisfy what we thought visitors would like to find when they visited the region. The abandoned building was not altered in any way in terms of the "shell", so everything was designed to fit the original floor plan. Outside: There is a superb covered alfresco dining area with a barbecue just outside the lounge. On the other side of the lounge is a large covered balcony. The villa includes a games room, table football and badminton for use indoors or ouside. The large car parking area is ideal for football, tennis and basketball. Thers is a beautiful pool with a level shallow end especially for younger children surrounded by a large sunbathing terraces with loungers and umbrellas. There are also various other secluded seating areas in the garden and planted areas. Utility Room: Custom built utility room housing washing machine/dryer, clothes airer, ironing board and iron with a work surface.There are areas just outside where clothes will normally dry very quickly, so children's clothes, shorts and tee shirts are not a problem. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All towels and all linen are included. There are sufficient towels for the bathrooms and there are extra towels for the pool and taking to the beach. If the stay is longer than 7 days then the property will be fully cleaned and all linen changed. Other: There are other lounge areas to enable you to have those quieter moments on your own, to read or to share a quiet conversation. There are two balconies, one enclosed, getting the last of the evening sun, the other open facing south overlooking the forest.