Apartment in Charras, Nr. Angouleme, Poitou-Charentes, France - A Magical Chateau Experience Located In A Magnificent Rural Setting, Essential Amenities In Village
This beautiful ground floor wood panelled apartment is part of the original Chateau built in 1722 during the pre-revolutionary era. It sits within 5 hectares of superbly maintained grounds with orchard, tree-lined avenues and a large grassed area, perfect for playing, peaceful picnics or sunset strolls. For the more energetic there is a large heated swimming pool and two tennis courts. The chateau is 50m from the village which has a boulangerie, general store/post office and is located near to a number of bars/restaurants. It is ideally situated for those who wish to unwind and/or explore the idyllic Charente countryside on foot, bicycle or by car. The local area provides everything necessary for that French experience - markets, wine/cognac tasting, historical sites, boats trips, caves, fetes and festivals. For the more adventurous Cognac, Bordeaux, Bergerac and the Atlantic coastline are within a 2 hr drive.
Top Traveller Review
Rural grandeur in the heart of France
About the Owner
We (Sally and Bob) are retired teachers who like others spent many years camping with our children in France. At that time we never imagined that we would one day be the proud custodians of an apartment in a real Chateau in France. We take this responsibility seriously.
Initially we planned to reserve our jewel for family use only, but now it's time to share it with others. We hope, like us, you find it a memorable experience.
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Rural grandeur in the heart of France
This is the fourth time we have stayed in this little gem of an apartment. We have so enjoyed being here that last year and this we decided to rent the apartment for a month. The historic accommodation has wonderfully high ceilings and lovely floor to ceiling windows. There are beautiful views from every window, even the loo! The spacious terrace is a real asset. We have hosted a birthday party and barbecues for friends and family easily. This year our grandchildren joined us for one week, sleeping on the sofa bed in the lounge. The chateau is a wonderful environment for families as well as couples, with extensive grounds, an orchard, tennis court, and swimming pool. There are lots of really interesting places to visit nearby, including a beach at St Estephe and the picturesque town of Brantome. For a peaceful place to stay in rural France this apartment could hardly be bettered.
Incredible Location & Perfect for Relaxation
Sally was incredibly friendly and communicative despite all the questions we had! We stayed here: 2 Adults and 1 Teenager very comfortably, the bathroom access is through the main bedroom but no issues at all. The apartment is spacious enough with wonderful high ceilings. It's a little dilapidated here and there with things like the door handles, but probably to be expected in a 17th century building full of character and no major cause for concern! The highlight is the terrace which is just an amazing place for relaxation and any sort of meal event during the day with incredible views of the surrounding countryside and Chateau gardens. The gardens include a large private swimming pool, 2 tennis courts (1 is not really usable), about 5Ha of open gardens to walk in, a fruit orchard, a ping-pong table and wonderful period features to explore. One point to note, it appears that you will be staying in a property which is the main chateau divided into 4 appartments, whilst that is true, there is also about 10/12 (I think) other appartments on the property itself (old stables / coach house / tower etc...) and they share the amenities too, so about 20-30 people in total which was a little more than expected but nonetheless didn't cause any issues. In fact it was quite enjoyable to join some of the others in a game of social cricket in the evenings! The local area is very quiet and you need a car to get around. Brantome is particularly beautiful, Angouleme is a nice quiet city with stunning views from the top, Perigueux was also a pleasant day out! La Rochelle was a bit disappointing, long drive, terrible city planning (parking is a major problem), the Aquarium lines were more than 1 hour wait (even past 19h) so we skipped it. I guess it's an ancient town so city planners didn't expect thousands of cars back then ;) but a bit frustrating and didn't really find anything to entice us back. We also went to Ouradour-sur-Glane which is the town that was desecrated by the SS Nazi's and the town's occupants brutally murdered. It has been left in the condition it was found as a monument and memorial to the 642 people who were massacred. Not to finish on such a sombre note, we particularly enjoyed Grand Etang St Estephe which is a bathing lake with a beach and a day out canoeing in Montbron! We fully recommend staying here and will certainly do so ourselves again in the future! Our thanks again to Sally and Bob for such a wonderful holiday! :)
Had a great week. The apartment has everything you could possibly need, the information book is brilliant, and as for barbecuing on the terrace in the evenings, perfect.
From the Owner
“Why Poitou Charente? Each summer we would load up the car with tents and children and journey south driving through the Charente. Each year we began to ask ourselves why? The region has everything one could want from a French experience but I guess the balance was finally tipped by the magnificent sunflowers, of which we never tire. An added bonus is it's accessibility. Whether it's by road, rail or air it's less that a day travel time leaving more time to enjoy your stay there. Try it but be aware " once bitten forever smitten"”
Activity and Interests
For those who want a contrast from rural France during their visit, the Atlantic coastline is within easy reach; though ideally it's a day out or stop over destination. Royan provides superb beaches, Atlantic bathing and art deco architecture. La Rochelle is an amazing place offering beaches, markets, history, fishing, bars and restaurants with possibly the best Fruits de Mer on the planet though it's not for the faint hearted.
By Ferry/Road - St Malo is 4 to 4.5hr drive. Northern Ports : 7 to 8 hrs
By Air - There are a number of airports within 1- 2hrs drive of Charras including: Bordeaux, Limoges, Bergerac, Poitiers, La Rochelle.
By Rail - Angouleme is 2hrs from Paris on the TGV. Car hire available at Angouleme Railway Station
Angouleme is 25km from Charras.
You will need access to a car. Within a 30 mins drive you will find lots to see and do:
Angouleme is a cathedral town with impressive ramparts and an old quarter, cobbled streets with numerous cafe's and restaurants. The indoor market sells wonderfully fresh fish from the nearby Atlantic - you will have to queue with locals
Brantome - 26 kms, is a beautiful riverside town with mill and weir. The Friday market is excellent and it has restaurants for the discerning.
Chateau de Charras is special. It's a tranquil place offering visitors a chance to unwind, spend quality time together and recharge. Summer time provides horizons of sunflowers and corn, a warmer climate, villages, fishing, markets, empty roads for cycling or jogging, forest walks and gastronomic delights. The village itself provides all essentials so it's possible to 'stay put' if that's what's required. However, within a short distance one can enjoy discovering this little known part of France. If required, guests can find a local market everyday or visit a local Chateau to discover the part that local characters played in pre- revolutionary France.
For the more adventurous there's large towns, river valleys, the sea and scenery never to be forgotten.
Poitou- Charente is there waiting to be discovered.
At the end of each day you will have the joy of returning to the tranquility of the Chateau to take a swim, enjoy a stroll or to just simply sip a glass of chilled wine on your terrace whilst the BBQ warms up.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
10 Sep 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
17 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
In addition to completion of the online booking form please contact us to check availability. We require a 25 % deposit to secure booking and the remainder 4 weeks prior to arrival. There will also be a refundable security charge of £100/€120 payable on arrival,to cover the costs of any damage/breakages. This will be returned on departure. On arrival guests are asked to pay the welcome host 70€ cleaning fee.
The changeover day is Saturday to Saturday during the high season thereafter it is by negotiation.
Notes on prices:
Prices quoted are for the property per week in UK Sterling.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Heated Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- En suite bathroom - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Recently refurbished and tiled
- Fully tiled bathroom (June 2012) with walk-in shower, washbasin, shelving, toilet and radiator. Washing machine in cupboard. Once again the original period windows are large and shuttered, offering spectacular views of the labours of local farmers.
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, There is a comfortable double sofa bed in the lounge
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 2 (1 en suite Bedroom) Notes on bedrooms: One en suite bedroom with a comfortable kingsize bed and ample storage space. The original large shuttered windows offer magnificent views over the grounds and countryside. For the early riser there awaits a memorable view of dawn from the duvet.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The apartment is a special place. It's for those who seek comfortable, well equipped period accommodation complete with a spacious unique terrace set within extensive grounds. The apartment's walled terrace adjoins the kitchen and ensures that dining throughout the day and BBQ's evenings are a real pleasure.The apartment is located in main Chateau with direct access to its impressive staircase and use of the recently gravelled Cour d'honneur. The living room has a charm that's a joy to experience. A fully stocked board games cupboard, electronic equipment requiring your own input and a electric wine cooler provides all one needs for romantic/ social evenings. This historic atmospheric setting makes the apartment suitable for those celebrating a special occasion. It's equipped with electric radiators and hot/cold air conditioning that extends the letting period into the cooler months though all heating costs during those times are met by the tenant. It's a writers paradise in winter. Outside: The large walled elevated terrace offers superb views of the local countryside sunrise to sunset. The Chateau itself provides shade too for those who need it. The terrace is the perfect setting for aperitifs, alfresco dining, BBQ's followed by a nightcap under a starry sky. All terrace furniture, BBQ, sunshades and outdoor games equipment are provided. The large heated swimming pool, is 30 m from apartment and meeting all French H&S requirements is professionally maintained every two days. It is equipped with numerous sun loungers.Open mid May-30 Sept. There's two tennis courts for the more active and 5 hectares of walled grounds with tree lined avenues inviting an evening stroll.The seemingly sleepy village of Charras belies it's true character.Juxtaposed to the Chateau is a well stocked general store, a boulangerie, a coiffeur and a Petanque space. In addition there are clearly marked nature trails through the forests and local river valleys. Utility Room: There's a washing machine enclosed in the bathroom. The huge terrace provides ample drying space and in addition there are shared drying lines tucked away in the Chateau grounds. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and towels supplied. Electricity is included. Cleaning fees of 70€ should be handed in person to your welcoming host who will help you settle in. Duplicate bed linen/towels are provided should you opt for a 2 week stay. Help always at hand.