Gites and B&B accommodation at L'Orangerie, Nr. St Loup sur Thouet, Poitou-Charentes, France - Peaceful Location Set In The Countryside With pool Only 10 Minutes Drive To Shops And Restaurants
Gite Buddliea sleeps 4 : from £250 to £610
Gite Iris sleeps 4 from £300 to £750
Apartment sleeps 2 Only bookable with Gite Iris £200/£300
Bed and Breakfast sleeps 8 from £65 (3 double , 1 twin all ensuite)
SLEEPING MAX OF 18 in all properties this makes the properties perfect for Walking ,cycling, car rallies. bird watching or family groups (bed and breakfast can be arranged for all properties)
Château L’Orangerie is ideally situated for visiting the tourist attractions of the Deux-Sevres a little known area of France just south of the Loire river. The area boasts the highest temperatures and number of sunshine hours after the Mediterranean, ideal for relaxing by the pool or exploring the surrounding countryside. There are many places to visit and activities for all the family to do. Château L’Orangerie was built in the 19th century, overlooking the village of Machepaille and the Seneuil valley. Our gites are located in the grounds of the Château which has extensive gardens for you to enjoy during your stay, however the properties each have their own sitting area with garden furniture. Set within the gardens there is a swimming pool 12m x 5m, also table tennis, basketball net and large purpose built Petanque pitch to provide plenty of things to do on site. The gites and apartment have been refurbished to provide modern, comfortable accommodation in a unique setting.
Top Traveller Review
Fabulous property in a quiet location
About the Owner
The Chateau and grounds were purchased in 2007 after standing empty for many years . We moved permanently to France in 2009 and since been renovating the properties and spent much time bringing the gardens back to life. The project has been a challenge but determination has created a beautiful place for people to visit and enjoy a relaxing holiday break . It offers a great safe haven for children at the end of a private drive which will hopefully ensure that our guests experience a wonderful stay with us. As we are resident on site if there are any items we have not provided or problems in the property we are on hand to help. Our own holiday experiences throughout the years have helped us to equip the property and the facilities provided but any feedback will be gratefully received.
5 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
Fabulous property in a quiet location
Our family stayed here for half term and had a thoroughly enjoyable week. We got a very warm welcome from Michelle and Ross and had an enjoyable evening with them. We stayed in the smaller gite, it was clean and had everything that we needed. It was great to spend the evenings outside enjoying the sunshine (there is a barbecue and sun loungers as well as a table and chairs). The main house and grounds are beautiful and the pool was very welcoming after a long day out. There is plenty to see and do in the area, from Chateau to visit, canoeing and kayaking, old towns to discover and beaches to laze on. Our boys really enjoyed the week and are keen to return...we highly recommend it, thank you Ross and Michelle.
We have stayed at L'Orangerie three times now. Our children love it there, and keep wanting to go back! Each time we have stayed, we have been made to feel very welcome by Ross, Michelle, Dorian and Lorna, who are all great hosts.
They offer a Pizza Night where all the guests are invited to a sociable evening together drinking sangria and eating pizza fresh out of the outdoor clay oven. The children are invited to select their favourite toppings and help make the pizzas.
The accommodation is good, clean and well equipped. The beds are comfortable and we all slept well. There are only two gites which means the pool is never overcrowded and there is always a sun lounger available for everybody. The gites are close enough if you want to be sociable with other guests but also far enough apart if you prefer your own space, each having its own barbecue and outdoor dining area. English TV, books and a selection of games are available.
The grounds are spacious for children to run around and play with no traffic to worry about. There is a boules court, a range of varying sized bikes freely available for guests, table tennis and darts. Our kids were rarely out of the pool which is clean, a good size and well maintained. The grounds are well kept with roses, geraniums, sunflowers etc. The owners have worked extremely hard in recent years to renovate the chateau and develop the grounds making it a great holiday destination.
This is a good location for walkers too. The landscape is relatively flat and agricultural, with fields of sunflowers and a range of wildlife including deer and birds of prey (there are kestrels nesting nearby and you will hear the owls at night).
Locally there is a supermarket 10 minutes away in Airvault. The local village of St Loup is worth a look and is somewhere else to pick up croissants. There is a swimming lake about 20 minutes away in Moncontour with activities for the more adventurous. There is a small theme park suitable for younger children about 30 minutes away. There is an excellent zoo at Doue la Fontaine which is a 50 minute drive. You can also reach the Loire valley in less than an hour where there are plenty of chateaux and vineyards to explore.
We would not hesitate to recommend L'Orangerie as we have had three great holidays there and expect we'll go back again!
My husband and I stayed with our three boys and we all had an amazing time. The chateau is just beautiful, our gite was lovely, the pool wonderful. There's an indoor barn with table tennis and bikes to borrow. But, above it all, was the hospitality of Lorna and Doz. They were instantly like old friends. They organised a pizza night, where we all sat at a long table in their beautiful garden, eating home-made pizzas from the oven in the garden. And the evening finished with a game of boules until the sun went down. The next night was cinema night - the kids all curled up in the chateau, with Doz taking in ice-cream and popcorn. It was just a perfect holiday! I can't recommend it highly enough!
We stayed at l'orangerie last year with our 2 yr old daughter and we had an amazing time ! The grounds are ideal for a toddler with the pool being gated and plenty to explore. The most lovely thing for us, is we felt at home as soon as we arrived- the whole family we're so welcoming and the Gite and facilities are set out perfectly with our Gite having privacy but also all the amenities to hand.
The recommended Zoo is amazing (I'm still telling people about it now!) and I would highly recommend the pizza night.
Needless to say we will definitely be returning !
From the Owner
“We chose the property because of its beautiful setting situated at the end of a private drive, as you enter the gates you catch sight of a fairy castle nestled in the trees. The surrounding countryside is very pretty and local villages and towns are steeped in history providing the perfect setting for a typical rural french holiday. The restaurants and bars provide a warm welcome and wholesome french cuisine, which add to your french experience. Although we are in a rural location we have easy access by road to many places of interest and tourist attractions, which will enable guests to find the balance between days out and days spent relaxing in their holiday home.”
Activity and Interests
La Rochelle is one of the nearest coastal resorts, about 90 minutes drive away. It has a beach, fabulous restaurants and a vibrant port with bars in abundance. Other tourist attractions include the Aquarium, boat trips from the marina and exploring the historic town centre. Nearer the Chateau is Lac Moncontour (15 minutes drive) suitable for swimming with a beach and lifeguard at peak times. There is a small entrance charge during July and August, but this includes canoe hire and crazy golf.
By ferry the Chateau is easily accessible from all the channel ports and most offer the opportunity for an easy motorway drive (Calais 6.5hrs, Caen 3.5hrs)
By air the nearest airport is Poitiers (45 mins). Ryanair flies from UK destinations including Stansted throughout the year. La Rochelle airport also offers UK flights. Car hire is available from both airports. For Links and further information please look at the owners website.
St Loup sur Thouet at 6km is a pretty village with several restaurants to try and a beautiful Chateau to visit during the summer. The Medieval town of Parthenay (20 minutes drive) has larger shops and a market to visit, plus a good choice of restaurants. Futuroscope one of Frances leading tourist attractions, is less than 40 minutes away at Poitiers. The Marias Poitevin (Green Venice) with its wonderful waterways is only an hours drive.
The village of Airvault is only 10 mins drive and here you will find a Supermarket, restaurants, small shops, banks and local amenities such as pharmacy, doctor, dentist. There is also a local market held once a week in the covered market place which is in the centre of the village opposite the Tourist Office.
Fishing permits are available for the river THOUET which runs close by. There is also PESCALIS, the biggest fishing centre in Europe which offers Carp, Course and Predatory fishing in over 100 hectares of lakes, less than 1hrs drive away.
Cycling provides something for everyone both on and off road. Whether you are a serious cyclist and prefer the open road, or you want to explore the country lanes on your way to get the bread and pastries, the surrounding countryside provides the ideal cycling opportunity. The area is perfect for Artists of any ability to find a suitable subject. Fields of sun flowers, watermills, market places, churches and Roman Architecture within pretty villages offer endless possibilities to create a masterpiece. Chateau Orion famous for its modern art is also a great place to visit.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
5 Nov 2016 - 14 Apr 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
MID Season (from)
15 Apr 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
High Season (from)
1 Jul 2017 - 25 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
|Stay tax||£0 per night, per person. This amount will be due to the owner upon arrival. Does not apply to children under 16 years.|
Contact the owner with your request and a booking form with holiday contract will be sent to you. This requires completion and signature (one copy to be kept by you) and is returned with a non-refundable deposit of 25% of the cost of the rental. The balance of payment is due 8 weeks prior to arrival. Method of payment to be discussed with owner on booking. Security deposit to cover damages payable on arrival and is refunded on departure.
Changeover day is Saturday during peak time. Arrival 4pm, depart by 10am. Low season rentals the owner is pleased to try and accommodate other days and times.
Notes on prices:
Prices from £40 per night per property or £225 week
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 0% refund for cancellations more than 0 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is in a quiet location, and is set in the grounds of a Chateau. The property has its own patio and BBQ area but guests are also free to explore the grounds of the chateau which are perfect for all the family, particularly ideal for children to run freely and play. We have a Bread oven within the garden and are able to provide homemade pizza, and we use all our own home grown vegtables as toppings. We have created a games area for playing the local game of Petanque, and there is table tennis and a selection of bikes that can be used. The property also has a selection of books, games and DVD's for use. Although the property is selfcatering we can provide some meals throughout your stay, and we can also provide a welcome pack of essentials ie Milk, bread eggs etc.”
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Living Room
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- children welcome
- limited accessibility
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- bird watching
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Main bathroom with bath and shower over, sink, toilet. Bedroom 1 has ensuite shower room with toilet. The Apartment also has an ensuite shower room with toilet to bedroom.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: sleeping total of 16 people in 2 gites sleeping 4 one with additional apartment +BB Notes on bedrooms: Iris sleeps 4 has 2 bedrooms. Bedroom 1 is large and has a double bed plus room for a cot. Bedroom 2 has two single beds. The attached apartment has one bedroom with double bed and wardrobe at additional cost to booking. Gite Buddliea also sleeps 4
- Bicycles ...
- 4 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: Two self catering properties set within the peace and quiet of a Chateau garden itself offering 3 double bedrooms and one twin all ensuite on a B&B basis. Gite Iris sleeps 4 (plus cot) with option of additional accommodation in a self contained apartment sleeping a further 2 adults, only rentable with Iris at additional cost (refer to owners website). Gite Buddleia sleeps 4 and is totally separate within the grounds. All the accommodation is modern, comfortable and well equipped. It has been tastefully decorated throughout. The owners have tried to provide all the items necessary for a trouble free family holiday. Our beds are clean and comfortable and there is plenty of storage within the bedrooms for clothes and suitcases. We are happy to provide evening meals, if ordered in advance, and also cook homemade Pizza in a bread oven, which is a wonderful social event too. We can also provide a welcome pack with essential items such as milk, bread, eggs, butter and orange juice. Outside: The grounds of the Chateau offer plenty of space to wander freely and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the gardens. Sit quietly, read a book or watch the buzzards soar overhead. Children can explore safely away from roads and play games such as table tennis, badminton, basketball or 'boules'. If all you want to do is relax in the sun then the pool is the place for you! The pool, new for 2012, is 12m x 5m, shared but plenty big enough for everyone. It is the same depth throughout so no need to worry about deep end. There is also a paddling pool for toddlers if you prefer. The garden also boasts its own bread oven where the owners cook homemade Pizza and will arrange a social evening once a week during the summer season. Each property is completely independent, has its own sitting area, garden furniture and BBQ. We also have a selection of bikes that can be used during your stay. Utility Room: There is a shared utility room away from the house that contains laundry facilities including double sink, washing machine, tumble dryer and airer. There is a small additional charge for this facility. The accommodation has an iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed lining is provided and changed weekly. Towels (for house use only) are available at a small additional charge. The accommodation is cleaned before arrival and we would ask you to leave it clean and tidy on the day of your departure. Other: The apartment has a large open plan living area which is light and airy and also has a TV with British freeview channels. Sofa, chair and dining table ensure a comfortable stay.