House in Lahania, Rhodes, Greek Islands - Situated In The Quiet Traditional Village Of Lahania, Close To Miles Of Deserted Beaches
The house is built around a private courtyard with bouganvillia, jasmine, rosemary and banana and orange trees. The old part of the house has all original features as well as new tiled floors and restored traditional raised beds. The new extension has a spectacular two storey light well that provides a beautiful light and airy open plan living and dining area and an upstairs gallery with spectacular views and a separate air conditioned bedroom. We spent a year renovating the old house and building the new extension to a very high specification with lots of features like mosaics and hand built wooden staircase and balustrade. The village is one of the prettiest on the island and combines the best of quiet location as well as three tavernas serving great food and a small supermarket. Rhodes town is a world heritage site and the island is packed with places of historical and modern interest as well as over 100km of beaches. It is a great house for a fantastic holiday any time of the year
About the Owner
Hello, my name is Clive and I live in London. I have been going to Lahania in Rhodes for over 20 years now and I have spent a lot of time renovating our lovely house and building the new extension. Everyone who stays in the house loves it and loves the village. I am sure you will too.
From the Owner
“The village is in a beautiful river valley close to miles of beaches where you can choose to have a meal or drink at a beach taverna or find your own private cove. Lahania is a very beautiful traditional Greek village with a shaded platia by the church with a taverna and natural springs which used to be used in the old days to irrigate the village vegetable gardens. There are two other tavernas in the village as well as a little supermarket so you can find everything you need in the village. There is a small pension as well but no big hotels and you can enjoy a quiet and peaceful holiday within beautiful landscape. All the roads in the village were designed for donkeys rather than cars so it is very safe for children to wander and they soon find other children of their own age to play with”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Lahania has long been a destination for artists and many people like to paint the local views and houses.
Lahania has remained unspoilt and not overdeveloped with hotels because it is 2km from the beach. You can walk down the valley for about half an hour to get to the nearest beach or take a five minute drive. Once on the beach road you can either choose Votsalos taverna 2km south or the Mohito bar 5km North. Between Gennadi 10km north and Plimiri 5km south these are the only two beach bars. The rest of the 15km is yours to find a secluded spot and many more places after Plimiri.
Rhodes airport is about 60 miles away and takes between one and one and a half hours to drive depending on traffic. There is no bus to the village so you really need to rent a car from the airport for the duration of your stay
Rhodes town is a medieval walled city with world heritage status. It is about 1 to 1 &1/2 hours drive. This is the longest linear drive you will have on the island. It is well worth a visit and there are many other places of historical interest. You can get a day trip to the nearby islands of Symi and Halki. Lindos is a famous old town and there are other places such as a water park for the kids,and beauty spots like butterfly valley and the seven springs.
Rhodes is great for sight seeing. There is a ruined empty city at ancient Kamiros where you can see relics from one of the most ancient greek civilisations. From that time on the ruins of Greek, Byzantine, Turkish and Medieval knights can be found in the cities and remote places. There is a wonderful museum in Rhodes and just walking through the city streets evokes the atmosphere of the Knights Hospitallers who made this their last base before being expelled by the Turks. On top of the historical sights there are lots of natural beauty spots and some excellent walks to high points for those who are more adventurous. Otherwise a nice evening constitutional around the Lahania valley will take about an hour and set you up for your evening meal.
Lahania is on the South of the island which has very few hotels and is largely undeveloped. However if you go north then you can visit Lindos which has an acropolis and you can ride to it on a donkey if you wish and there is great tourist shopping. Further north still is Faliraki, famous for youth binge drinking. Unless you want to join the crowds at night for this activity then during the day they have lots of activities such as the water park and go-carting which will be a treat for the kids. Those who like to shop will find no end of temptations. Unlike some of the smaller Greek islands Rhodes has a lot to offer for those who want an activity holiday. Many beaches offer water sports and the resort of Prasonisi is on of the worlds best places for wind and kite surfing. It is worth a visit just to watch then fly. There is no reason for anyone to be bored on holiday in Rhodes if like me an hour on the beach everyday is enough. Then again if you want two weeks of doing absolutely nothing then there is no one to stop you!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Check if the house is available when you want to go and then go on line to check your flights. A 50% deposit secures the booking and the balance needs to be paid in advance of your holiday. See our website at lahania.co.uk for availability.
Changeover days are flexible. We need to get into the house to prepare for the next guests if they arrive the day you leave but we can be flexible to suit your departure times by looking after your bags etc.
Notes on prices:
Prices are negotiable for late bookings.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property combines a lovingly restored old house with a sensitively built new extension. The old part of the house has two bedrooms and is used as a summer house as all the rooms communicate through the secluded courtyard. We have lovingly restored the original old beams,fireplaces and rough plastered walls. The new extension provides a new self contained one bedroom house on two floors with double glazing, air conditioning,fitted kitchen and wetroom bathroom as well as some original antique furniture and modern art. The extension is ideal for winter holidays when the weather can be chilly but provides the best climate to walk the fantastic countryside, especially in spring when the wild flowers are spectacular. The combined house has three bedrooms, two kitchens and two bathrooms/wc.”
- Dining Area
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- One bathroom with WC, electric shower, w/machine and WH Basin communicating to the courtyard. Second modern bathroom with marble WH Basins, electric shower (wet room style) and a separate WC both communicating within a self contained one bedroom extension
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: One self contained double bedroom with modern bed and air-conditioning. One double bedroom on traditional Punka style raised bed within an open plan private living area. A third self contained small double bedroom.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: You will love this house as we do. We spent a lot of time and effort to make this a very special house, full of interesting objects, tasteful furniture as well comfortable facilities. The old house has been lovingly renovated and the new extension carefully designed to fit in with the character of the village while providing a high degree of comfort especially in winter when the drafts you don't notice in the summer are completely excluded by the new double glazed doors and windows. We highly recommend this house for people who want a winter break and appreciate walking in the hills and spotting wild orchids amongst a host of other wildflowers, perhaps even seeing a wild deer. Outside: There is a courtyard and two roof terraces. You can drive to the house but the ways through the village are narrow. For those not confident negotiating narrow lanes you can park within 50 metres of the house. Utility Room: No utility room but you can access the two flat roof terraces from the new extension and one roof terrace provides a separate access to the new extension providing private access for one family. Great for sun downers with fantastic sunsets over the valley Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are provided clean. The house is cleaned prior to your arrival. Please leave the house clean and tidy and dispose of rubbish. There is a washing machine provided for you own use. A local resident contact will help you if you need anything Other: The courtyard is private and not overlooked. It has space for a table and chairs with a sunshade and the old bathroom, kitchen, two bedrooms and the door to the new extension all communicate through the courtyard. It is a very sheltered and secluded space